WR1 issues.

Yeah, too demanding. Here's my short list.
  • supplied instructions are incomplete and in several cases wrong.
  • cannot format SD card in-camera without using phone app (powering on when silver button pressed on camera should accomplish it).
  • wifi works poorly and hangs when transferring files often.
  • two android apps; only one works (for me), sort of.
  • beeping when camera is not recording (should be a configurable option).
  • setup cannot be done without using wifi app (should use a config file like Mobius).
  • red led should flash when camera is recording rather than remaining solid.
  • some think leds should be brighter.

I've done a comprehensive performance review video although I didn't test the App as I don't currently have a Smart phone (I broke mine:( ). It's here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ighting-weather-conditions-comparisons.30018/

I found - the instructions basic but OK - however a web address for the specific APPs required would be an improvement, I easily formatted the card on the PC with the PC App and a Kingston Multi-Card reader - maybe your problems are card comparability (?) - I'm using Lexar High Endurance, not tried Wifi (no smart phone), Agreed should be 1 dedicated APP for the camera that handles everything, beeping doesn't bother me personally - is a good reminder that recording failed, Agree should be a PC App like the Mobius which allows you to plug the camera in and then adjust it from the PC, Agree on Setup - see last comment, I'm personally OK with the LED being solid red although don't mind flashing - all that matters is I can see it's recording, Yes LED's need to be brighter - I missed that off my review having noticed it - at night time they're perfectly fine, in the day they're impossible to see, especially the red - I had difficulty seeing the red even with my hands cupped around the camera on my bright test day.

My Feedback list:

1. LED's (especially red) need to be brighter

2. USB Cable needs a right angled plug or plug adapter as it prevents the mounting bracket being used to the rear which is it's designed position and may allow a closer fit to the windscreen on some cars

3. Suction cup colour - the suction part is translucent white - it sticks out like a sore thumb on the windscreen. It needs to be either completely clear or jet black - still from my review (and this is the least clear picture - it stands out even more on the one without reflections): https://ibb.co/kPYePk

4. Would like to see some improvements to daytime performance, which although good, is poor compared to the level set by the night time performance. Pretty sure some issues are the low bit rate (I've heard 14mbs). Possibly lens may be responsible as well in that it appears to not be very aplanatic (that said, I find it hard to be too critical given the very low price of the camera as it's overall performance for the price is excellent). Maybe if the chipset can handle it, there could be a user option for a higher bit rate (preferably one as large as the hardware can handle)

Last edited:
I don't see why wifi needs to be on constantly using power and heating up the camera when not needed. If nothing else just make the green solid for wifi on.
Heating up when not needed,isnt a problem with WR 1 ( at least I didnt noticed during using ), no too much heating or overheating problem even on highest temperatures during daylight sunny days.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

The issue of LED brightness is a double edged sword. As I live in a rural area I often find myself driving on pitch black remote country roads where there are no street lights. I live on such a road. Some of the cameras I've owned have LEDs on them that seem fine during the day but at night in the dark are so bright as to be a serious distraction, especially if they blink. The Mobius 2 was a case in point. The blue LED was so bright that it literally illuminated my dash board and even the interior of my truck's cab every time it blinked. Ultimately it required a mod to the light pipe inside the camera to tone it down. Another issue with pilot lights on dash cams that are too bright is when you use the camera in "parking mode" when away from the vehicle as the blinking LEDs can attract unwanted attention.

For anyone wanting brighter lights, be careful what you wish for. There needs to be a balance between day and night optimized LED brightness. Some camera developers seem to have this concept down better than others.

Last edited:
The issue of LED brightness is a double edged sword. As I live in a rural area I often find myself driving on pitch black remote country roads where there are no street lights. I live on such a road. Some of the cameras I've owned have LEDs on them that seem fine during the day but at night in the dark are so bright as to be a serious distraction, especially if they blink. The Mobius 2 was a case in point. The blue LED was so bright that it literally illuminated my dash board and even the interior of my truck's cab every time it blinked. Ultimately it required a mod to the light pipe inside the camera to tone it down. Another issue with pilot lights on dash cams that are too bright is when you use the camera in "parking mode" when away from the vehicle as the blinking LEDs can attract unwanted attention.

For anyone wanting brighter lights, be careful what you wish for. There needs to be a balance between day and night optimized LED brightness. Some camera developers seem to have this concept down better than others.
That basically what I am talking about, manufacturer cant make a perfect dashcam that suits everyone needs and someone will always bother some thing. Some of us wants led lights to be stronger, some of us dont,some of us want different color led light,some of us dont care about led lights color, some want dashcam beeping during recording, some of us dont. So who can indulge every single one of us? No one I think. We should pay attention to basic features and basic purpose of dashcam and if we are satisfied with that all other things are less important. For next next dashcam we can make some suggestions we would like, if someone ask us anyway, but there, again, will be some us which dont like something so this story may never ever end.

That basically what I am talking about, manufacturer cant make a perfect dashcam that suits everyone needs and someone will always bother some thing. Some of us wants led lights to be stronger, some of us dont,some of us want different color led light,some of us dont care about led lights color, some want dashcam beeping during recording, some of us dont. So who can indulge every single one of us? No one I think. We should pay attention to basic features and basic purpose of dashcam and if we are satisfied with that all other things are less important. For next next dashcam we can make some suggestions we would like, if someone ask us anyway, but there, again, will be some us which dont like something so this story may never ever end.

At least with something like overly bright LEDs the dash cam owner can put a little tape over them so they won't be so bright at night.

At least with something like overly bright LEDs the dash cam owner can put a little tape over them so they won't be so bright at night.

Agreed but if they're not bright enough there's nothing you can do.

Here's an example from the clip I forgot to include - the LED's are lit here in the left hand pic, but the full HD camera I shot this with, failed to even see them (as did I in the bright sunlight, even though it wasn't direct). You could blame the camera for this as it also failed to pick up the Viofo logo on the left as it "clipped" the dark shadows. However the LED's weren't visible to the eye either or a close up inspection by camera or eye revealed the LED's. (I forgot to re-focus for the zoom):

Maybe mine are dimmer than most, I don't know.

Overall, a very good camera though for image quality especially at the price and I will be recommending it.

Last edited:
Agreed but if they're not bright enough there's nothing you can do.

Here's an example from the clip I forgot to include - the LED's are lit here in the left hand pic, but the full HD camera I shot this with, failed to even see them (as did I in the bright sunlight, even though it wasn't direct). You could blame the camera for this as it also failed to pick up the Viofo logo on the left as it "clipped" the dark shadows. However the LED's weren't visible to the eye either or a close up inspection by camera or eye revealed the LED's. (I forgot to re-focus for the zoom):

As I mentioned above, some manufacturers seem to understand the balance between day LED brightness and nighttime brightness better than others. My SG9665GC LED pilot lights are just about perfect both day and night. LED indicators should be easily visible but not distracting. Hopefully, VIOFO can improve on this if enough people report their experience. @jokiin, who has an association with VIOFO might even suggest this to them. :)

As I mentioned above, some manufacturers seem to understand the balance between day LED brightness and nighttime brightness better than others. My SG9665GC LED pilot lights are just about perfect both day and night. LED indicators should be easily visible but not distracting. Hopefully, VIOFO can improve on this if enough people report their experience. @jokiin, who has an association with VIOFO might even suggest this to them. :)

I haven't seen their product pulled apart to know what might be possible, I'm sure (like every product) there's some room for improvement, takes time

I haven't seen their product pulled apart to know what might be possible, I'm sure (like every product) there's some room for improvement, takes time

The more recent version of the Mobius 2 I received has improved (dimmer) LED brightness. I've wondered whether different value emitters were swapped in or whether that can be controlled via firmware. Maybe it's a Linux thing?

The more recent version of the Mobius 2 I received has improved (dimmer) LED brightness. I've wondered whether different value emitters were swapped in or whether that can be controlled via firmware. Maybe it's a Linux thing?

it's possible to change the brightness via software, if the hardware is built to suit

Finally @jokiin joined in the discussion... [emoji2] [emoji41]

Mine are as dim as the pic cr4rc4m posted.

I really hope this is can be addressed by software tweaks, otherwise I can't recommend this cam.

Could be Mobius used the same old LED but added a bit of resistance in-line with it. Or maybe the slowed the PWM rate (firmware) ;) Either is easy and cheap.
I doubt anyone is using high-end LED's in their cams (Nichia, Cree, and Oslon are some) because of price. And you don't need their performance for an indicator light.

@ the cam manufacturers here: One of the better performers in the 'budget' range of LED's is LatticeBright who should have anything you want at manufacturer-pleasing prices. So if your current supplier can't help check with them :) AFAIK not available at retail

Phil

Another is I found the Mobius 1 too dim in bright sun. Again I had to cup my hands around it to stand any chance of seeing it's status.

it's possible to change the brightness via software, if the hardware is built to suit

That's what I was hoping as this opens 2 possibilities:

1. A user option of bright / dim, and / or

2. An automatic option based on ambient light level sensed

It's a very personal thing. I've never found a camera LED too bright, but then again, I've only had a few cams and I quite like bright - my digital dash is at maximum permanently. I can imagine a very bright flashing LED with high tens or hundreds of mcd could be distracting. However, we're not usually talking anything so bright on a dashcam. I usually mount the camera behind the rear view mirror which means after fitting you can't see the light from the driving position anyway. Another good way of alleviating issues provided it's not so bright as to reflect to the windscreen.

It's a pity manufacturers don't specify the brightness of LED's in product specs as then it would be much easier to compare and come to a concensus on the ideal brightness, or as near as you can get from differing opinions.

It's a pity manufacturers don't specify the brightness of LED's in product specs as then it would be much easier to compare and come to a concensus on the ideal brightness, or as near as you can get from differing opinions.

Be careful what you ask for. I'm pretty up-to-speed with LED flashlights even to the excess of having my own Integrating Sphere to be able to accurately measure output :rolleyes: And I promise you that only the top LED manufacturers are not lying about brightness. All of the rest (Including LaticeBright and any others which come from China) are over-rated by the manufacturers, sometimes by a factor of ten! :eek: If the cam maker gave you the numbers given them by the LED manufacturers you would be worse off than you are now, and totally confused at best. And that's all that the cam manufacturers have to go on themselves :(

The user-consensus concept is far more accurate even without numbers, as hardly anyone can estimate output to numbers without a lot of experience and knowledge on the matter. Things like color tint and the dome's focus can actually make a weaker LED look like a brighter one to most people so let's just keep it on layman's terms which everyone can relate to :D My Mobius is just about perfect as with an effort I can see it against a bright sunny sky, but with it mounted upside-down it is just short of obnoxious in the darkest of night.

Phil

Be careful what you ask for. I'm pretty up-to-speed with LED flashlights even to the excess of having my own Integrating Sphere to be able to accurately measure output :rolleyes: Phil

As with Dash Cams ... a lot of Blokes take their Flashlights very seriously as you know ... so have you started up a Flashlight thread yet?

Hang on ... I'll go check. Flashlights ... Dash Cams ... it's all related......... Nope :(

As with Dash Cams ... a lot of Blokes take their Flashlights very seriously as you know ... so have you started up a Flashlight thread yet?

Hang on ... I'll go check. Flashlights ... Dash Cams ... it's all related......... Nope :(

@SawMaster mentions flashlights but he's specifically talking about LEDs in regard to manufacturer's brightness claims. Try re-reading his post, striving for better comprehension this time.

@SawMaster mentions flashlights but he's specifically talking about LEDs in regard to manufacturer's brightness claims. Try re-reading his post, striving for better comprehension this time.

The post was light-hearted as I recall Phil being a Flashlight enthusiast ... and having a few myself figured it would be interesting for fellow enthusiasts to have a thread on Flashlights on this forum in the off-topic section.

I have also been watching your interaction with other people on this forum ... and in particular jokiin. You aren't exactly a friendly fellow around here are you? I was wondering how long it would take to get around to taking a shot at me. I kinda expected it. Perhaps you could try doing everyone on the forum a favour and lighten up a bit?

Last edited:
Back