WR1 issues.

Make sure you fix the dim LED issue. This is vitally important without a screen to see the status. This also the only issue that must be done in hardware so is impossible to fix once the custolmer has the camera.

There are two reviews of this camera on Amazon and both give it 2 out of 5 stars due to the dim LEDs. It should be he easiest to fix with an LED or resistor change. Unless they are being pulsed through firmware and need a longer on time.

@jokiin mentioned earlier in this thread that the LED brightness on the WR1 might be addressable via a firmware update.

@jokiin mentioned earlier in this thread that the LED brightness on the WR1 might be addressable via a firmware update.

Is he a Viofo rep who knows the design of the camera? "May be addressed in firmware" sounds like he doesn't know if the LEDs are controlled by hardware or firmware so he is just saying if it turns out they are firmware controlled. If he knew they are firmware controlled why wouldn't they fix it when multiple people reported the issue?

Is he a Viofo rep who knows the design of the camera? "May be addressed in firmware" sounds like he doesn't know if the LEDs are controlled by hardware or firmware so he is just saying if it turns out they are firmware controlled. If he knew they are firmware controlled why wouldn't they fix it when multiple people reported the issue?

@jokiin is a manufacturer and industry insider who has an association with Viofo and who is probably one of the most knowledgeable dash cam authorities on this web site. Putting all this aside, it is obvious that you didn't bother to read his post that I linked above.

@Anon028 You didnt read any of previous posts,didnt you? Viofo rep said they are reading our posts and working on solving all of these issues regarding WR 1.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

the comment was about what is possible, there was nothing to suggest that this hardware is configured to suit that possibility, something that would need to be checked with the manufacturer

it's possible to have control of the LED functions in firmware, if the hardware is built to suit that functionality, no idea if it is or not, I would guess not but you never know

As I'm very interested in this cam I've been watching this thread closely. The cam itself seems to be quite good with only minor easily fixed issues :D

The major problems are in the apps and how they don't function correctly with the cam. I've watched a different app-programmed cam develop and I've seen how that can be aggravating and slow to de-bug. Given the many different versions of Android and IOS some will give more problems than others, and what makes one work correctly may not make a different version perform correctly. It seems to me that Viofo planned to "design on the fly" after ensuring basic functionality- a commonly accepted engineering practice these days which I don't like because it is selling a half-finished product which might not ever work right :mad: One needn't look far to see how the Mobius2 failed for that exact reason, and apparently in an irreparable way :oops: The app issues should be fixable here given enough time and effort but this shouldn't have happened this way :(

A major problem to me is that I have only Windows-based systems which so far are not supported but I totally understand that this was never promised and that I am one of a very small percentage of folks these days who have neither Android or IOS systems on hand. This is not Viofo's fault as he never promised Windows compatibility, but it impairs my purchase of this cam as I'll then need other things to make the cam work, adding at least 50% to my cost :eek: As much as I like this cam is it really worth $150? It most certainly is not if it will not work correctly in every way no matter the reason for the shortcomings.

I expect that in 2 weeks or so I'll be making my next cam purchase. Whether @viofo gets my money or whether I add another Mobius to my stable is entirely up to Viofo and his progress on getting the buggy apps fixed by that time.

Phil

@jokiin is a manufacturer and industry insider who has an association with Viofo and who is probably one of the most knowledgeable dash cam authorities on this web site. Putting all this aside, it is obvious that you didn't bother to read his post that I linked above.

So he has no idea about the design and does not work for Viofo. Just as I thought. Sounds like he is trying to gloss over a defect for a fellow manufacturer.

It's simple. Viofo can fix the LED issue in the next batch or fix it when the customers return them at which point they can only be sold as used.

So he has no idea about the design and does not work for Viofo. Just as I thought. Sounds like he is trying to gloss over a defect for a fellow manufacturer.

I never said at any time that I was connected to, or had any insight about this product, it was just a comment about what is or isn't possible from a technical perspective, I'm not glossing over anything for anyone, not sure where you get your ideas from, to be honest I don't even know what the supposed LED issue is, maybe you like them bright, maybe the next person doesn't, doesn't make you right and them wrong, it's just obviously not your preference, so be it

Phil, My recommendation is to avoid the WR1 for now. If you don't have wifi access to either an iOS or Android phone, this camera will be useless to you. Even if you do have a smartphone, the app(s) (for Android, at least) are too buggy to use reliably. YMMV.

Wish I would have bought (a third) Mobius instead.

That's absolute rubbish.

I have neither and mine works just fine on factory settings, in fact my performance video was shot entirely on factory settings:

....and my SD card was formatted in a card reader on my PC using the PC formatting app.

My WR1 is in permanent daily use and I have no issues, despite not owning a smart phone...

It would be nice to be able to control settings from the pc, but it's by no means necessary.

I wouldn't say it's a rubbish opinion as there ARE problems with the apps which render the WR-1 not ready for prime-time at the moment :( But I do expect those will be worked out eventually based on how Viofo has responded to his other cam's issues ;) I do wish there was a PC app but none was ever promised so that is not exactly a complaint or issue, just a wish :p

Regardless, I will not be buying a cam which I cannot adjust to suit my particular needs and wants.

Phil

I wouldn't say it's a rubbish opinion as there ARE problems with the apps which render the WR-1 not ready for prime-time at the moment :( But I do expect those will be worked out eventually based on how Viofo has responded to his other cam's issues ;) I do wish there was a PC app but none was ever promised so that is not exactly a complaint or issue, just a wish :p

Regardless, I will not be buying a cam which I cannot adjust to suit my particular needs and wants.

Phil
One man's meat is another man's poison.

Phil

Admittedly, I don't know much about them but I wonder if you could use an Android emulator on your PC to make adjustments on a WR1?

All seven of the apps at this link are free.

http://techapple.net/2014/12/top-7-...omputer-run-android-appsgames-windows-78-110/

And some people have lower expectations.

I've used a wr1 for maybe 200 plus hours.

It has worked reliably. I'm getting used to some of the minor quirks, but
I find the low recorded audio, and dim LEDS to be unacceptable in a cam I need to rely on, but I have realistic expectations, and usually run TWO front facing cams.

The VIOFO app works ok, I tried the other app and don't see any advantages. It works ok on my MOTO G4 and low end lenovo tablet. (Both under $100)

Don't force Phil to give up his old phone.
:)
b4f578472b53f3fec9aa4b61a0f5a7ed--th-birthday-pink-princess.jpg
This isn't a cam for everyone. I don't need smartphone/wifi enabled cams, but have two, now. it's a minor convenience.
I'd be happy with a cam with video like the wr1, no wifi, capacitor, maybe a smaller body, and 1/4x20 mount. (And usable LEDs and audio)

And some people have lower expectations.

I've used a wr1 for maybe 200 plus hours.

It has worked reliably. I'm getting used to some of the minor quirks, but
I find the low recorded audio, and dim LEDS to be unacceptable in a cam I need to rely on, but I have realistic expectations, and usually run TWO front facing cams.

The VIOFO app works ok, I tried the other app and don't see any advantages. It works ok on my MOTO G4 and low end lenovo tablet. (Both under $100)

Don't force Phil to give up his old phone.
:)
b4f578472b53f3fec9aa4b61a0f5a7ed--th-birthday-pink-princess.jpg
This isn't a cam for everyone. I don't need smartphone/wifi enabled cams, but have two, now. it's a minor convenience.
I'd be happy with a cam with video like the wr1, no wifi, capacitor, maybe a smaller body, and 1/4x20 mount. (And usable LEDs and audio)
That phone might be too modern for Phil :D:D

Phil

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but there's a difference between saying the apps don't work and someone saying:

If you don't have wifi access to either an iOS or Android phone, this camera will be useless to you.

Quite clearly it's not useless as you can use it on it's default settings. You maybe can't adjust it using custom settings which is your beef. But that's quite different from it being "useless" especially when the default settings are rather good.

As I'm very interested in this cam I've been watching this thread closely. The cam itself seems to be quite good with only minor easily fixed issues :D

The major problems are in the apps and how they don't function correctly with the cam. I've watched a different app-programmed cam develop and I've seen how that can be aggravating and slow to de-bug. Given the many different versions of Android and It seems to me that Viofo planned to "design on the fly" after ensuring basic functionality- a commonly accepted engineering practice these days which I don't like because it is selling a half-finished product which might not ever work right :mad: One needn't look far to see how the Mobius2 failed for that exact reason, and apparently in an irreparable way :oops: The app issues should be fixable here given enough time and effort but this shouldn't have happened this way :(

A major problem to me is that I have only Windows-based systems which so far are not supported but I totally understand that this was never promised and that I am one of a very small percentage of folks these days who have neither Android or IOS systems on hand. This is not Viofo's fault as he never promised Windows compatibility, but it impairs my purchase of this cam as I'll then need other things to make the cam work, adding at least 50% to my cost :eek: As much as I like this cam is it really worth $150? It most certainly is not if it will not work correctly in every way no matter the reason for the shortcomings.

I expect that in 2 weeks or so I'll be making my next cam purchase. Whether @viofo gets my money or whether I add another Mobius to my stable is entirely up to Viofo and his progress on getting the buggy apps fixed by that time.

Phil

So low microphone audio is another functional feature that needs to be fixed.

Viofo should also consider upgrading the sensor from the IMX 323. That's a sensor used in $50 and $60 dash cams (like the Aukey DR-02 which is $68, has a better operating temperature of 75C / 167F and a 24 month warranty and a screen) not in a $99 camera. The A119S has a better sensor. Why wasn't that used?

So low microphone audio is another functional feature that needs to be fixed.

Viofo should also consider upgrading the sensor from the IMX 323. That's a sensor used in $50 and $60 dash cams (like the Aukey DR-02 which is $68, has a better operating temperature of 75C / 167F and a 24 month warranty and a screen) not in a $99 camera. The A119S has a better sensor. Why wasn't that used?
Do you have WR 1 dashcam or no? If you have I can understand all of this hate to Viofo. Can you tell us, whats your expirience with dashcams and what makes you credible or expert to ask all of this questions all of sudden. What makes you more expert than Viofo who has many great dashcams built in the past, so you can recommend them this sensor or that sensor or any of hardware or software. If you be kind to answer me/us, I am sure that all of us here curios to know.

@mac I can understand you being dissapointed because you give your money for something that you cant use normal without any glithes or problems and so you are very unsatisfied. I use WR 1 every day for maybe a month and so far satisfied with it. There are some problems you and other members mentioned before but to me I only have a problem with app and maybe low sound quality on recorded videos, nothing else bothers me so far. I hope and I am sure that people in Viofo are working to find way yo solve this problems to make us ( users ) happy and satisfied. Hope we dont have to wait long for solution.

@sone983 Yes, same here. The camera seems to be working well, although viewing recording over wifi is very problematic for me. One of the reasons I bought the WR1 was for this capability. Hope Viofo releases new firmware/software with fixes soon. If these problems get fixed I'll be happy and will recommend the camera. Until then, not so much.
Yes, but these problems with app and no in dashcam reformat if sd card are not the only problems other users have. Led light volume, beeping sound when not recording, wifi cant be turned off etc. And I assume fixing all that or some of that taking some time and maybe not easy to do ( easily said than done ).

Back