wrapping wires directly on fuse

asd123

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello all,

Not sure if this is the right board, but I have a question regarding installing the Power Magic Pro. Assuming I have the correct fuse locations (still working that out), would it be fine to wrap the ACC and Battery wires directly on the fuses as seen in the following video:

The video is what I'm basing this soon-to-be installation on. While I was searching for an answer, I came across a thread where someone said they 'cringe' whenever watching this video because it's 'rough' how he wraps the wires onto the fuse.

Is this wrong, unsafe or just a simpler, more crude way of installing the Magic Pro? If it's wrong or unsafe, would the safer alternative be Fuse Taps/Add a Fuse? If there are any differences between the two (haven't done my homework on them yet), what would be the better choice?

Also, the Magic Pro's grounding wire doesn't have a complete circle, rather it's a half circle where the point needs to be grounded. It doesn't seem to be too secure as compared to a full circle. Does anyone have experience with it? Does it stay secure to the screw? Should I replace it?
PMP_1.JPG

I'm not expert and would prefer an easier route that is safe and somewhat long lasting.

Thanks for any and all help.
asd123.

Wrapping it is a very crude way of doing things. Definitely use a fuse tap.

The spade terminal is fine, just wrap the wire around something nearby to give it strain relief. You can also use pliers to close off the open end a little.

I would use a fuse tap and replace the terminal by a correctly sized ring terminal (probably M6) and then feel much happier with the result. The main issue with wrapping wires and fork terminals is that if someone ever takes the fuse out or undoes the ground screw, or even just catches a tool or their hand on the wire, then the loose wire may fly out of position with no way of knowing how to reassemble it, things like that make maintenance a nightmare.

It always takes a little more time, effort, and money to do something the right way but it's always worth it :cool: Manufacturer's have to consider ease of installing, knowing that many or most of the buyers won't have a clue about what is best- hence that spade terminal. As long as those are installed correctly they are OK but a ring terminal is more secure. IMHO one of the best values most people can get is a small cheap terminal kit with crimpers- you'll find installing and repairing things electrical a breeze with it and a pain without it ;)

Wrapped connections are for emergency repairs only and anybody who routinely uses them otherwise is not somebody worth listening to for advice on doing electrical work. If they do the basics than badly they can't possibly do the rest any better :mad:

Phil

Is this wrong, unsafe or just a simpler, more crude way of installing the Magic Pro? If it's wrong or unsafe, would the safer alternative be Fuse Taps/Add a Fuse? If there are any differences between the two (haven't done my homework on them yet), what would be the better choice?

Also, the Magic Pro's grounding wire doesn't have a complete circle, rather it's a half circle where the point needs to be grounded. It doesn't seem to be too secure as compared to a full circle. Does anyone have experience with it? Does it stay secure to the screw? Should I replace it?

I would say a cruder way to install it. It is the method I used.. with a small modification. I soldered the wire to the cold side of the fuse. Took some experimenting and filing the leg to keep the thickness and width the same.. BUT.. it allowed me to keep the cover that protects the fuses. If you opt for one of those add a fuse things chances are that the cover will no longer fit.
The easiest.. is one of those add a fuse things .. but for all the purists.. the correct way would be to remove the whole fuse panel, re design it to include its own fuse(s) on the correct buss.
As to the grounding spade.. the design means you don't have to remove the entire grounding screw, just loosen one and stuff it in with the others. A ring is better but not worth changing unless perhaps you want a military type of installation that won't come loose while off-roading.

For what it is worth.. I used the radio fuse for my ACC power and brake fuse for my always on power

Excuse my ignorance, I have no electrical experience. Why can't we wrap the wire around the fuse? I know it seems crude and cheap but imo it's much easier for me to do and my simple for me to understand (compared to add a fuse). Is it a fire hazard or something? I'm asking because I'm planning to just wrap the wires around my fuses without a adds fuse. I don't mind the fact it looks bad since I'm never gonna open my fuse box again once my installation is done...

Excuse my ignorance, I have no electrical experience. Why can't we wrap the wire around the fuse? I know it seems crude and cheap but imo it's much easier for me to do and my simple for me to understand (compared to add a fuse). Is it a fire hazard or something? I'm asking because I'm planning to just wrap the wires around my fuses without a adds fuse. I don't mind the fact it looks bad since I'm never gonna open my fuse box again once my installation is done...
Unlikely to be a fire hazard, but how do you know that you will get a good contact between the wire and the leg? There will be no spring forcing a good contact so maybe it will work, maybe it wont, maybe it will cause the camera to turn off every time you go over a bump and shake the loose wire! If you try to get a loose wire to stay in contact with the end of an AA battery then it is almost impossible, a loose wire wrapped around a fuse leg and then pushed away from the leg when you put the fuse in it's holder is not much different! There is a risk that the end of the loose wire will get pushed against the other fuse leg thus bypassing the fuse and that potentially is a fire hazard.

Using an Add-A-Fuse is easy, if you have a crimp tool then easier than wrapping the wire, but you can do it with normal pliers too.

In my opinion.. There are several potential problems. There is a chance that stray wires from the multi strand leads might touch something and cause a short.. vibration could cause the connection to come loose.. depending on how (and where) you wrap the fuse leg the fuse may not seat properly.. while trying to force the fuse into its slots you may end up opening the female part of the fuse block and subsequently the fuse will be loose and liable to fall out, with the result that both the camera and.. the original application do no longer work.
But.. having said all that.. its your car.. and with due care.. wrapping is a quick way to accomplish the task.

If God forbid you happen to toast your car from wrapping a fuse leg don't bother contacting your insurance company (I called and asked) :D.

If God forbid you happen to toast your car from wrapping a fuse leg don't bother contacting your insurance company (I called and asked) :D.
I suspect that if your car burns up due to a wiring fault.. the insurance companies would be looking at the credentials of anyone that worked on it.. and licensed automotive electrical tradespersons most of us are not.. thus your policy is likely void anyway..

I was going to say the same thing except you'll get the blame even if you didn't cause it. Electrical fire + dodgy wiring = dodgy wiring and the person who did it get the blame, even if it is completely unconnected (no pun intended.)

I suspect that if your car burns up due to a wiring fault.. the insurance companies would be looking at the credentials of anyone that worked on it.. and licensed automotive electrical tradespersons most of us are not.. thus your policy is likely void anyway..

Not if you have it in writing from your insurance company. I shouldn't have said I called, I emailed and was told that as long as I used the correct procedures and materials there shouldn't be any problems.
Now that was my insurance company, yours might be different! I would advise you to email them and see what they say.

Use email because then you have it in writing. If it did become a question in court and you did it by phone it would just become a he/she said thing without any real validity to stand on situation.
I use this procedure lots of times on different things/situations, never had a problem but one never knows when something you deem an innocent thing on your part might come back to gnaw on your nerves and backside:eek::D.

Edit: You ever seen the geek squad guys at Best Buy? One day they are flipping burgers, next day they are installation experts, yea right!

Back