Write protection on file

Weeman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you write protect one of the files when an incident happens? I thought I had pressed the correct button, but when I went to check later, I couldn't see any write protected files on the card.
Took me ages to manually find the clip

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I always carry a second backup card in the event something big happens. As soon as I stop, I swap cards.

I took a trip up north recently and ran across a number of wayward animals on the road. I pressed the mode button each time as directed in the manual hoping that these particular clips would be saved so that I could show my granddaughter when I arrived home. However, when I attempted to retrieve them, they all had been recorded over. Bottom line: The overwrite protection did not work! :mad:
What happened??

I took a trip up north recently and ran across a number of wayward animals on the road. I pressed the mode button each time as directed in the manual hoping that these particular clips would be saved so that I could show my granddaughter when I arrived home. However, when I attempted to retrieve them, they all had been recorded over. Bottom line: The overwrite protection did not work! :mad:
What happened??

To write protect a file on the Mobius using the Mode button you should only press the button briefly for a maximum of one second. Is it possible that you held the button down longer than that?

To write protect a file on the Mobius using the Mode button you should only press the button briefly for a maximum of one second. Is it possible that you held the button down longer than that?
No, I just pressed it normally. I probably had four or five clips saved, (or so I thought) but none showed up when I looked at them on the computer. I have read a number of complaints about the clips not being saved. One saying that once your micro sd card is full, you can no longer save a clip. I can't see how that would matter. I use a 32 gb card, 5 minute videos, and loop recording. Is this a common problem? I know for a fact that I was pressing the correct button. Did I miss something in the GUI program?:confused:

No, I just pressed it normally. I probably had four or five clips saved, (or so I thought) but none showed up when I looked at them on the computer. I have read a number of complaints about the clips not being saved. One saying that once your micro sd card is full, you can no longer save a clip. I can't see how that would matter. I use a 32 gb card, 5 minute videos, and loop recording. Is this a common problem? I know for a fact that I was pressing the correct button. Did I miss something in the GUI program?:confused:

Sorry to hear that. I never use that feature. I just swap out the card if there's a capture or two I want to be sure not to lose.

What happened??

Have you by chance changed the file name from REC_ to something else? It was reported that when changed files will no lock.

Have you by chance changed the file name from REC_ to something else? It was reported that when changed files will no lock.
Yes, I did change the name to Cam1 and the other to Cam2. I can't understand why a name change would affect the overwrite function, though. Now if I change it back to REC_, it will probably read that as another change and still not function correctly. If it's not one thing, it's another...:confused:

Changing the name back to the original REC_ should fix the problem.

You could test some older firmware versions if having the files labeled differently is important to you.

You could test some older firmware versions if having the files labeled differently is important to you.
The naming of the files is not important in the least. I will change the Cam1 back to REC_ and see what happens.
Will let you know after a few test runs. Cross your fingers...

Yes, I did change the name to Cam1 and the other to Cam2. I can't understand why a name change would affect the overwrite function, though. Now if I change it back to REC_, it will probably read that as another change and still not function correctly. If it's not one thing, it's another...:confused:

when you press that button the command would be something along the lines of move the file named REC_xxxxx to another folder or change the permissions, changing the file name would break that process, they could probably rewrite the function to accommodate different file name prefixes but perhaps something they haven't looked at doing as yet, or it's a lot of work and they haven't had time, they haven't put an update out for about 9 months so perhaps it's a time thing

when you press that button the command would be something along the lines of move the file named REC_xxxxx to another folder or change the permissions, changing the file name would break that process, they could probably rewrite the function to accommodate different file name prefixes but perhaps something they haven't looked at doing as yet, or it's a lot of work and they haven't had time, they haven't put an update out for about 9 months so perhaps it's a time thing

No doubt they decided to devote their resources to the Mobius 2 platform rather than continue to polish what was already probably the most updated camera firmware in the business to date.

No doubt they decided to devote their resources to the Mobius 2 platform rather than continue to polish what was already probably the most updated camera firmware in the business to date.

have no doubt that Mobius 2 has been taking most of their attention for the past year or so

I'm sure even once it's released the M2 is going to be taking up a lot of their time as the firmware matures, no updates to the original Mobius for 9 months might be an indicator that its gone as far as it reasonably can based on the hardware it uses, going by the posts on RC group there's still things that people would like to see fixed in the M1 for RC use and it hasn't happened so would lean toward that being due to technical limitations rather than technical ability of the programmers so perhaps a case for those people of being time to move on to the M2 if they want to see those improvements

I'm sure even once it's released the M2 is going to be taking up a lot of their time as the firmware matures, no updates to the original Mobius for 9 months might be an indicator that its gone as far as it reasonably can based on the hardware it uses, going by the posts on RC group there's still things that people would like to see fixed in the M1 for RC use and it hasn't happened so would lean toward that being due to technical limitations rather than technical ability of the programmers so perhaps a case for those people of being time to move on to the M2 if they want to see those improvements

I think it's a question of prioritizing resources and diminishing returns on any further investment in time to the Mobius 1. The write protection feature is likely more of interest to dash cam users anyway and having that feature accommodate arbitrary changes to the file names is probably a bridge too far at this point.

I think it's a question of prioritizing resources and diminishing returns on any further investment in time to the Mobius 1. The write protection feature is likely more of interest to dash cam users anyway and having that feature accommodate arbitrary changes to the file names is probably a bridge too far at this point.

yeah I suspect it's quite a bit more involved than most people would comprehend, the fact that they even have the option for users to change file names is quite unique in itself so some compromises to have that functionality I would think is a reasonable trade off

I reset the name of the video back to REC_ from Cam1. This appears to have done nothing.
Question: When a file has been successfully write protected, does it appear differently when one reviews (on the computer) all of the videos taken while driving? For instance, does it say "Write Protected"? I have to ask because I haven't seen one yet.
Regardless, I am now going to push the Reset button on the camera itself. Hopefully this will set things straight. Let you know after a few more test runs.

Back