Wrong Side of the Island - A lesson learned.

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A229ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K
So I was waiting at some traffic lights the other day and a couple of hooligans came up behind (the two black cars that arrive as the lights turn green), later on I see them overtake on the wrong side of a traffic island with one of those flashy speed warning signs on it and protecting a turn into a side road on a blind bend, no way was it a safe overtake. Luckily I had the A129 Pro, and that can see things happening in the distance when most cameras would have recorded nothing useful, so I tried to send it into the police.

Lesson learned: When uploading video to a police website that only accepts original unedited files, if the event spans two loop recording files and the police server has a maximum total upload limit of 2.5GB, you had better be using 1 minute loop recording, which I wasn't! Having broken the rules and edited off the useless end of the files, I got it to start uploading, but then it encountered an internet glitch and gave up, no automatic retry, no manual retry, apparently everything lost, although it did say it had sent it for investigation. I gave up wondering if they would still look at the text, but have heard nothing, so I might as well post an edited version, it's too late for them to deal with it now:
(Note that I was sticking to the speed limit, anyone going faster wasn't, and a lot of the video is zoomed in x2, uploaded at 1080.)

I saved a recording of the same kind of people a few days ago, mine was just going a bit too fast, and then just before i lost them the last car of the 3 ran a red light.
Probably 3 dagos.

Why didn't you downsample the video instead of editing? Could string both videos together into a single video and use some compression.

Why didn't you downsample the video instead of editing? Could string both videos together into a single video and use some compression.
I assume that downsampling would count as editing, besides, to see what happened at the island needs maximum detail from the 4K, it was 161m away, so it would need cropping rather than downsampling, and I'm sure that is editing. I thought I had sorted the problem by truncating it, but it still failed to upload and left me with a message were I wasn't sure what was happening. What I wanted to do was upload the above, but that clearly didn't match the requirements. 1 minute loop recording should solve the problem for next time.

Downsampling to another format would probably be acceptable. You aren't editing video just making it's size sufficient to upload.

Back