Wrong Way!

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Spotted this driver going the wrong way down a slip road yesterday. Reported to North Yorks Police via Operation Spartan.

<video deleted>

1548840185760.png

Last edited:
Somebody who doesn't know left from right following satnav instructions!

Seems a bit fast at first sight, what where the speeds?
And let us know what response you get from operation Spartan...

Somebody who doesn't know left from right following satnav instructions!

Seems a bit fast at first sight, what where the speeds?
And let us know what response you get from operation Spartan...
A19 is 70mph dual carriageway. We were doing maybe 40-50 when we passed the other car.

They were supposed to follow their lane round to the left and take the on-slip
1548673606101.png

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but that one is hard to understand, can't even blame the sun being in his eyes, or the road markings being under snow!

I did check the news a few times later in the day, and looked at that side of the road when we returned back past the junction. Thankfully I found found no signs of a serious accident.

everyone makes mistakes

I think so too, i just find it strange people always seem to do that in front of my cameras, though in all honesty i some times do a substantial drive and have nothing worth posting, some times even 2 days / trips in a row.
But then on the next drive someone crush my hope that the Danes are becoming better drivers.

Response from Operation Spartan this morning:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email and footage.

We would like to instigate prosecution proceedings against the driver in the footage...

I found it interesting that the witness statement proforma requires the make/model of dashcam, and the file format in which the video is recorded (MOV in this case).

I found it interesting that the witness statement proforma requires the make/model of dashcam, and the file format in which the video is recorded (MOV in this case).
Which exotic prototype dashcams did you enter? Makes me wonder if some people using .ts files recently is sensible.

I had expected a training course rather than a prosecution, since it appears to be a clear mistake, you would never do that intentionally. On the other hand, if they hadn't kept to their left then I wouldn't have liked to have encountered them at 70mph so maybe the points on their license and ban if they have done it before is desirable.

Personally I would have preferred that they pop round for a chat and check the drivers' eyesight, rather than jump straight in with a prosecution. Taken from the Operation Spartan web page:
The primary aim of Operation Spartan is to educate ‘Vulnerable’ road users, who by virtue of their manner of driving are classed as being more likely to be involved in or cause collisions.

Operation Spartan has also been responsible for the prosecution of a number of drivers. Therefore any members of the public wishing to make a report through Operation Spartan may be asked to support a prosecution and provide a statement in relation to any reports that they make.

Maybe they checked the drivers record and found that they already have 9 points for similar offences, or maybe they are already banned. We have to leave these decisions to the police.

I don't think it can be a fixed penalty for that, so maybe you will find out in court!

Last edited:
Which exotic prototype dashcams did you enter? Makes me wonder if some people using .ts files recently is sensible.
My wife's car has an un-modified SG9665GC, and a Mobius 1 with a 4mm lens.
Once again I have found value in being able to read the number plate on a passing car, despite some people here saying that they can't see the point.

...despite some people here saying that they can't see the point.
If there wasn't a point then cars wouldn't have number plates!

Another situation where a 4K sensor would not have helped, no need to read the plate at great distance and the lighting was far from ideal.

Whether drunk, banned, a bad driving record, or just plain stupid that person should not be driving; they are a huge threat to other road users :mad: There is so much signage there that anyone who missed (or ignored) all of it isn't someone I'd want near me in any situation- even on foot :eek:

Phil

Maybe they checked the drivers record and found that they already have 9 points for similar offences, or maybe they are already banned. We have to leave these decisions to the police.

I don't think it can be a fixed penalty for that, so maybe you will find out in court!
I had a chat with the friendly police officer at Op Spartan. They have to instigate proceedings to get the ball rolling, or drop it altogether. After that another police team decide how to dispose of the driver.

Last edited:
Back