XB-701User Manual

BTV

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wrote to support @ blueskysea-inc . com with my reasons for returning the DV988 Pro, and asked a few questions about the XB-701. Here is the response from Vicky at BSS:

Thanks for your asking. The following are the answers about these questions.
1) The DV988 wastes 30% of the disk space by blocking it out, and overwriting saved video even though the displays shows hours of recording time available.
Does the XB-701 do the same thing (blocking out card space), rather than just locking individual crash/SOS/impact files?
-Yes, they do the same thing.

2) The GPS in the XB-701 appears to be integrated. Can the GPS be turned off in the menu settings?
-You can set the GPS for on or turn off in the menu settings.

3) The DV988 menu does not allow the date/time stamp function to be turned off. Can the timestamp be turned off on the XB-701?
-Yes, XB-701 allow the date/time stamp function to be turned off.

4) The DB988's display was too dim to be used in daylight conditions. The XB-701 appears to have at least 2 brightness settings. Is the brightness adjustable, or just switchable between day and night?
Is the day setting bright enough to be actually usable during daylight/bright sunlight? My motorcycle's mirrors are a bit buzzy, so this is very important to me.
-The brightness is adjustable for XB-701.

5) What app/software is recommended/provided with the XB-701? The RoadCam app recommended with the DV988 had a number of unnecessary, invasive permission requests, and provided no useful functions. The YingZhen app recommended on the forums was better with permissions, but was not fully translated to English, and offered only limited functionality.
-The RoadCam app is recommended with the XB-701.

6) Is the user manual available as a pdf? I'd like to take a look at the manual before purchasing.
-Attached is the manual of pdf.

The details can be found in the manual,please have a check.

As you can see, some of the information was encouraging, but for now I don't think I'll be getting an XB-701.
#1 - Wasting 30% on the card space while showing a false amount of recording time available pretty much makes this a no-go proposition for me. Until/unless this is fixed, I can't see purchasing the unit.

#2 & 3 - Good news.

#4 - The "answer" did not address my questions. There was no indication as to whether it was bright enough to use in sunlight, not did it indicate whether the "adjustment" was multiple levels of brightness or just day/night.

# 5 - Another fail. The fact that the company continues to recommend a poorly implemented app with invasive permissions is a big negative.

# 6 - I've attached the pdf of the user manual. It's in both Chinese and English, but doesn't address a number of the things I'd like to know as a user. There is no coverage of the sub-menus, and it doesn't clarify the storage blockage addressed in #1 above. Like the Japanese when they first started importing into the U.S.A., the Chinese seem to be too proud to hire native English-speakers to work in their translation teams. The result is often, as it is here, poorly translated, and sometimes barely comprehensible instructions and manuals.

Overall, it looks like the XB-701 is a big leap forward technically from the DV988 Pro, but it still doesn't seem to be ready for prime time. Since the XB-701 claims to have EIS, I didn't ask about it.

Note to Moderators: I couldn't figure out how to start an XB-701 section, so just posted this in the DV988 section.

the pre allocated storage that you can't access is likely a chipset function that they can't change, some do work like that

a better question might have been what's the largest memory card the camera can support, when your 128GB card left you short of capturing your full day of riding, a 256GB card (if supported) would be a non issue to capture the amount of video you needed

what are the unnecessary invasive permissions that the Roadcam app requires? Are you using Android or iPhone?

Note to Moderators: I couldn't figure out how to start an XB-701 section, so just posted this in the DV988 section.
you can't create your own forum sections, this place would be a disaster if that was possible

Storage - if so, it is extremely poor design. Other cameras simply lock the individual files without blocking/wasting significant space. While it does support 256Gb cards, why should I have to buy 256Gb cards at a much higher cost when the 128Gb cards can hold 8-9.5 hours of recordings? I spent enough money on cards already so that I could record a full day's ride on each card. Five new 256Gb cards will cost as much or more than the camera. Also, it is terrible design to show on the display that the card still has free space while overwriting existing files.

Android - most of these permissions are not necessary for a camera app. Not only that, but the RoadCam app does not appear to add any useful functionality. The local BSS rep on this forum has already indicated that the RoadCam app is not a good app, which is obvious to anyone who has tried to use it.

This app has access to:
BAH0TYCVcT4bH2ErsHtCEbO-1Tr5O5Hjwst6AFghZQt5pI8NkfonAsmYfnvj939aqSVtbuM81B38AB0GYQ=s20
Device & app history

• retrieve running apps
  • read sensitive log data
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20
  • approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20
Phone

• read phone status and identity
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20
Photos/Media/Files

• read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20
Storage

• read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20
Camera

• take pictures and videos
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20
Wi-Fi connection information

• view Wi-Fi connections
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20
Device ID & call information

• read phone status and identity

Other

• close other apps
  • read Home settings and shortcuts
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • change network connectivity
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • full network access
  • change your audio settings
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • modify system settings
  • install shortcuts

Android - most of these permissions are not necessary for a camera app. Not only that, but the RoadCam app does not appear to add any useful functionality.
the app is to suit multiple cameras so the permissions are not necessarily required for your camera model and you can select which ones you allow and which you don't, what functionality were you expecting the app to offer anyway?

Storage - if so, it is extremely poor design. Other cameras simply lock the individual files without blocking/wasting significant space.

other cameras are based on different chipsets and function differently as a result, limitation of the platform I guess

. Also, it is terrible design to show on the display that the card still has free space while overwriting existing files.
I agree that is not good and should be improved

unfortunately you're not spoilt for choices when it comes to bike camera and there's some limitations to all of them, some are up close to $1000 and still have things people don't like about them

I am using a 128Gb card and we rode in our side by sides a month ago for 10 hours a day and I never had it write over the beginning of the day. In fact I had space left over. Recording at 1 minute intervals.

I also threw a 128GB card into the DV988 and had no problems with it writing to it. I would consider the XB-701but it only has a 3" LCD and I think 4" is minimum for my use. Adjustable brightness is a must but I'll just stick with the 988 for now. I just tested the Roadcam iOS app. It doesn't work for my needs. You can't really scrub through the videos and downloading to your phone takes entirely too much time. I'll just continue to yank the card.

I am like you I might be able to get by with a 3" screen. I don't really use the 988 screen that much other than maybe tell it not to record. And I always yank the card at the end of the day. Gotta have long fingernails though.
I am going to wait and see some reviews before I buy.

Back