Xiaomi Dashcam Long Exposure Time Test In Shenzhen city center, China

huhu2207

Reaction score
Country
China
Hi all,

I got to the Lian'hua hill park tonight to take some photos of the city center. I took my Xiaomi Dashcam and my Cannon EOS M1 DSLR to the top of the hill.

The Xiaomi runned the autoexec via 7.9s exposure time and ISO was set to 100. But I only have one stabilizer and it was occupied by my DSLR. So I had to handle it by my hands and the images looks far more bumpy than expected.

Those IMGxxx.jpg images were taken by my DSLR and YDXxxx.jpg was taken by Xiaomi, and I used Adobe Lightroom to optimize them.

Not bad for 8 sec. Man, you got a steady hand :)

I'm guessing it goes to show that Yi can do pretty good night timelapse with only 7.9 sec exp.

@huhu2207 你也在深圳?太巧了吧!我在南山。

You can just put the Yi Cam on the hot-shoe of your DSLR, and mount your DSLR on the tripod

DCT art as is!
(Y)

How to shot night timelapse in RAW with 7.9 sec exp?

I think RAW is no use to shooting timelapse, because it need to wait at least 10sec between 2 shots.

If shutter speed 8sec interval must be 16sec. Timelapse is kind of shooting video. If video 30fps shutter speed must be 1/60sec, 60fps - 1/120sec etc

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the above video! really helps understand.
so what is the shutter speed on the yi camera? anyway to know?
and shutter speed can be changed to be faster with autocash.exe?

If shutter speed 8sec interval must be 16sec.
I don't think if shoot in Timelapse mode, interval (suppose you mean frame interval) need to be 16sec, unless the Yi Cam needs 8sec to store the photo.

As my poor English, so I ref. this link to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-lapse_photography
FrameInterval.png
In common case, Frame Interval > (Exposure Time + Storage Time), will be OK.

1 timelapse photo = 1 frame in the video, if you take 30 photos for a video at 30fps, then you will get 1 second footage, and so on.

@huhu2207 你也在深圳?太巧了吧!我在南山。

You can just put the Yi Cam on the hot-shoe of your DSLR, and mount your DSLR on the tripod

I think RAW is no use to shooting timelapse, because it need to wait at least 10sec between 2 shots.

I don't think if shoot in Timelapse mode, interval (suppose you mean frame interval) need to be 16sec, unless the Yi Cam needs 8sec to store the photo.

As my poor English, so I ref. this link to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-lapse_photography
View attachment 14110

1 timelapse photo = 1 frame in the video, if you take 30 photos for a video at 30fps, then you will get 1 second footage, and so on.

我在福田这边,呵呵。
Yep I did want to hang the Xiaomi directly on the DSLR but I didn't bought the hanging toolkits. BTW I didn't let it output the RAW files. I just use the JPG.

View attachment 14110

OK, may be I was wrong.
But I steel have question: how to make timelapse ISO100/8sec/RAW? I found script for RAW shooting, script for long exposure. But how to combine them for timalapse shooting? Just for fun because I have 5DMKII and GH4 for timelapse.

Last edited:
OK, may be I was wrong.
But I steel have question: how to make timelapse ISO100/8sec/RAW? I found script for RAW shooting, script for long exposure. But how to combine them for timalapse shooting? Just for fun because I have 5DMKII and GH4 for timelapse.

Maybe you can't. RAW files are big, and generating such a big RAW file and write to the storage will spend a long time (longer than 10s) and it may cause some weird crashes.

我去,这么多深圳哒……
Oh my god...So many Shenzhen citizens!

I spend a lot of time in Shenzhen, on the house register, have Chinese drivers license etc, but I am not Chinese, I'm Australian, I live between Sydney and Shenzhen

I spend a lot of time in Shenzhen, on the house register, have Chinese drivers license etc, but I am not Chinese, I'm Australian, I live between Sydney and Shenzhen

Oh that's interesting! I'm going to Melbourne, Australia for higher education! :)

Back