Xiaomi Yi Camera: GUI Control & Configure from PC (Win/Lin/Mac)

i already said that - you have to send

{"msg_id":257,"token":0}

I have problem with this control program on Windows 7 64b. When I tried connect to the Xiaomi camera then I was immediately disconnected with error message "Cannot connect to the address specified". I can't figure out what's causing it. I have a correct IP address, port and firewall settings. Python scripts without UI work very well with the exactly same parameters. Could you help me please?

toroide, that can be caused by almost anything. What happens when you try to connect again? Are you using pre-compiled or .pyw? dej echo.

barboss: let me compile the camera_get.py for you. Give me 5 minutes, then check the github, it will be there.

EDIT: uploaded, give it a try.

Cannot connect to the address specified

there was a bug in the script, i fixed it now and it should work (works for me, Win7 x64). I also uploaded single .exe version of the GUI.

I previously used a precompiled version with "gui.exe". The new single file version is functional. I look forward to a next version with settings option and files management if it will be possible.
Thank you

maybe tomorow, these few days were realy hectic for me. Thank YOU for the bugreport :)

I tried to run Gui.pyw. Now stream is working fine. Now need to find a way how to control camera from it's firmware).

As I see wifi supports N mode.

Last edited:
Brain-storm for the [ Exposure Bracketing ] function:
As the Yi Cam firmware's AE Table can be modified in [file: RFS.a7s] 3 modes as: CENTER, AVERAGE & SPOT.
For example (ref. the picture)
Average: keep the original AE value;
Center: modify as meter to the sky (upper half area);
Spot: modify as meter to the ground (bottom half area).
Modified-AETable.png
So with python script, we can control to take 3 pictures with the same scene with each mode, then simulate to sort of the [Exposure Bracketing] .

I tried to run Gui.pyw. Now stream is working fine. Now need to find a way how to control camera from it's firmware).

As I see wifi supports N mode.

Hi @barboss !
What can the "wifi N mode" do? Run as wifi client, then we can connect to multiple Yi Cams?

bracketing is done differently - by adjusting EV to 3 different values. You are talking only about metering mode, which can be changed by JSON configs already.

wifi N mode means that the wifi is using MIMO enhancements, thus is faster than standard G mode. BUT as i stated previously, wifi CAN be toggled into client mode, but to do this i would need to have the camera at my place and not few thousands km far away with no chance of restart when i do the config wrong. And i already tried ;)

bracketing is done differently - by adjusting EV to 3 different values. You are talking only about metering mode, which can be changed by JSON configs already.

wifi N mode means that the wifi is using MIMO enhancements, thus is faster than standard G mode. BUT as i stated previously, wifi CAN be toggled into client mode, but to do this i would need to have the camera at my place and not few thousands km far away with no chance of restart when i do the config wrong. And i already tried ;)

Really? JSON config can directly change the EV values?
I will double check your script again !

I didn't say that, i said that it can change metering mode (spot/average/center). That is NOT EV.

I didn't say that, i said that it can change metering mode (spot/average/center). That is NOT EV.

That's why I said, need to modify the firmware metering mode.
Then use your script to take 3 pictures (and the same time changing the metering mode). This will simulate to so call "bracket exposure".

But that is not bracketing (changing EV)! Bracketing function is keeping the metering mode and quickly changing the EV values.
And here comes another problem of this camera - single photo takes ~2s to process, which is way too slow for any "HDR" photography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracketing#Exposure_bracketing

But that is not bracketing (changing EV)! Bracketing function is keeping the metering mode and quickly changing the EV values.
And here comes another problem of this camera - single photo takes ~2s to process, which is way too slow for any "HDR" photography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracketing#Exposure_bracketing

Yepp, you're right about it ! Should call HDR.
I bring out this idea just for fun ! I will go to study a little bit more Python language, then try to figure out how to do so.
Even 3*2s to take 3 pictures within AE mode switching, should be faster than manual operate. Actually I won't use Yi Cam to take pictures at all, cause DSLR to the jobs.

then you should know that metering mode is not used for bracketing at all :)

tiny update: FORMAT option now available from Camera menu.

oh and... i changed the program icon to more appropriate one :]

Back