Xiaomi Yi crashes when accessing files via USB connection

BK-Morpheus

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I got a strange problem that I can reprodruce:

When I connect my Yi Cam to a computer via USB cable the cam crashes as soon as i try to open or copy files from the Cam.
The files cannot be copied/opened and the cam will not react to any kind of button pressing since that moment. I always have to unplug the USB cable (the Yi will still NOT react) and then remove the battery.

Here is what I have already tried to find a solution:
- changed to a different microSD card
- tried to turn on the cam and then plugin the USB cable and tried it with plugging in USB cable first and then power up the cam
- reformated the microSD cards
- tried it on 3 different computers
- did "factory reset" on the cam a few times

I have installed firmware 1.0.7 and 1.0.7 modded (30mbps bitrate version), but still problems with USB access.

Did anyone else experience such a problem or has an idea, how I can fix this?
Other than that, the cam works fine (no crashes when recording), but I always have to take out the microSD card an put it in my card reader to copy my files to the computer.

Got the same problem. Since i still have not app for ios, i dont know, which version firmware i have :)

Happens to me few times here and there. I usually pull out battery and make sure it has over 50% battery (for some reason it works, but I am not sure if its really a problem, who knows)

Finally I smack my camera with a hammer few times :) voilà!

it's caused by that short usb cable which came with the camera. try another one (from your smartphone for example) and you should be fine.

including usb cable for xiaomi smartphone? Mine from mi2s is 100% working

As i don't own a Xiaomi SMartphone, i was only able to test the included Yi Cable, a Samsung cable, my OnePlus One cable and some other no name cables.

With every cable I can connect to the cam, but sooner or later (especially when i start a file transfer), the cam will stop communicating with the computer.

Isn't it auto power off?
When I connect camera to PC APO switch it off after time is set in camera settings.
Mike

I try to acces or copy the files ~10 secondes after connecting via USB and the cam crashes. My Auto Power Off is set to 3 minutes.
After the cam crashed, its power button will still be lid up by the LEDs, even when i remove the battery. If i press and hold the power button it still stays on (completly crashed). Only when i remove the usb cabel and the battery as well, it will shut down.

Guys, what sort of memory cards you use when facing this issue?

I use 64gb Sony 45MB/S SDHC (quite reputable one).
But I don't remember having crashing with 8gb and 16gb cards... Will have to test it though, once I use them.

One of the reasons might be the camera slow booting. MAYBE.

I tried this. I turned the camera ON first. I waited until it booted (around 10 sec) / Since I have video mode as default, my cam flash red when its booted.

Only then I connect it to the USB.

This way works for me, and I said above which camera I am using.

Tested this with 7 different USB cables, so this is certainly a camera problem and has nothing to do with USB cables.

I use a 4GB (class 4) and a 16GB (class 10). I think they are from Sandisk and Samsung.
Already tried to connect only after cam is bootet (my default boot mode is video, too).

I use SanDisk Mobile Extreme Class10 UHS-I microSDXC - 64GB SDSDQXL-064G-G46A.
No problem at all.
Mike

nope, not working for me. File transfer starts but after 3sec the cam freezes

I use 64GB card since 1.00.
Mike

now I tried a Sandisk 16GB Class 10 which was in my Mobius. The file transfer still stops after 2-3 seconds and the camera is not reacting after that. The Card was fresh formated via camera app.

This really is latest FW problem, at least for me.

Well its really annoying to be honest. Lets hope they will fix it.

Hello, I have the same problem, copying file from yi camera via USB freezes the camera. What HW/SW revision do you have guys? I have HW Z2215... and SW 1.012

Back