XiaoMi Yi dashcam focus problems

Could it be fixed thru f/w update or you think it's the lens block?

Firmware update can not fix such thing. The cheapest solution that I imagine is to glue the lens with some hard glue which will not allow to lens to rotate because of heat. But maybe I am wrong with this idea. Maybe @jokiin can share some info from his great experience. But, first for me is very complicated to disassemble the camera and look at lens.

enjoy,
Mtz

There won't be any movement from the lens or lens base that could be improved with glue, the problem will be from the lens or lens base expanding and contracting with changes in temperature

Given how much it changes I would guess that the problem is more likely the lens than the lens base, quite a shame really as the image quality when focused actually looked quite good

Let's see what answer i'll get from them.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 84
We don't see any heating problem with the Xiaomi Yi Dash Cams herein Hong Kong with sub-tropical climate.
Of all the 10 units I bought for my friends back in February this year, all good as reported.
Do you have air-conditioning turned on inside your car? Well most of the electronics won't survive in hot environment.
Even my IPhone 6 will get high temperature cut-off if I put it inside my car under direct sunlight without air-conditioned.

Well. We do have very cold Air-Conditioning inside our cars during Summer times.
Nobody here will drive a car without Air-Conditioning during Summer herein Hong Kong where the average ambient temperature will reach 33 Degree C.
I guess it will be some 45 Degree C inside an Automobile without A/C. Why should a dash cam maintain condition under such a high temperature? Even human being will be dead.

The focus problem is noticed most when you get back in the hot car and start driving and the video is out of focus until it's cooled down again.

Reactions: Mtz
That's ultra high temperature just behind the wind shield, could be as high as 60 Degree C my friend. I do believe some cooling has to be done b4 the Dash Cam is to be used again. Frankly speaking.
Its the high humidity and temperature in our area that A/C must be turned on.
OK put your IPhone near the Wind Shield under the same temperature and see what happen? I know the consequence.

can get up to 80c in parked cars in Australia, there have been deaths at those temps though (people, animals, not just electronics), you haven't come into summer yet so expect things to get worse still

It can be worked around as other manufacturers have by a component change. The camera itself is nice but even here the focus drifted during a drive yesterday and it can be improved. Maybe it will take customer returns before they make the change?

That's ultra high temperature just behind the wind shield, could be as high as 60 Degree C my friend. I do believe some cooling has to be done b4 the Dash Cam is to be used again. Frankly speaking.
Its the high humidity and temperature in our area that A/C must be turned on.
OK put your IPhone near the Wind Shield under the same temperature and see what happen? I know the consequence.
I don't wanna start a flame or something like that but most respectable dashcam manufacturers (like Vicovation) take this factor under consideration when designing a dashcam. They asume that the unit might be left under the windshield in direct sunlight.

I think the Xiaomi tactics is to do all the mainland sales first.
After six months or so of local sales, they may come to International market. You know how many vehicles right here in China?
The problem is the mainland Chinese won't complain about the quality based on the low price value of Xiaoyi Dash cam.
Well, I'm here to explain rather than defend on behalf of Xiaomi. Hope you guys understand.

The problem is the mainland Chinese won't complain about the quality based on the low price value of Xiaoyi Dash cam.

unfortunately that doesn't help to improve the product, in western markets whether it's cheap or expensive they still expect it to work

unfortunately that doesn't help to improve the product, in western markets whether it's cheap or expensive they still expect it to work

Well. XiaoYi Dash Cam has not gone International Market yet.
Please produce another Dash Cam of the same price and quality else where in the world or in your country and compete and come back with your comments.
If you can produce that cheap product in your country .....and expect it to work, you'll not come to this Xiaoyi forum.

It is simply a business world.

no interest in making these types of products, people are reporting focus problems, not sure why you think that's acceptable just because it's cheap

I'm not saying its acceptable. You've no interest because you can't make it.

Back