Xiaomi Yi Firmware Caution

Thank you all for clarifying.

I will use a set of yis for pano pictures and I have to shoot at the zenith: it is better to avoid flares (i.e. 22L and 23 L series).
It is strange because I read that for any lens the best filter to avoid flares is...NO filter but maybe that refers to filters positioned in front of the lens....

Thank you all for clarifying.

I will use a set of yis for pano pictures and I have to shoot at the zenith: it is better to avoid flares (i.e. 22L and 23 L series).
It is strange because I read that for any lens the best filter to avoid flares is...NO filter but maybe that refers to filters positioned in front of the lens....
Wikipedia can tell you what lens flare is caused by.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

Last edited:
I ordered one of these cameras from BangGood a few days ago. Today I got this email from them, what do you make of this?

About item [SKU209350]Original XiaoMi Yi Ambarella A7LS BSI CMOS WIFI Sports Action Camera[+Color;White] ,the SN number for the wite camera is Z22, but some customers told us they would like Z23, which is the newest version now .

So we've changed SN number to Z23 ,but the item is out of stock now and will be restock in a week .

Would you want to change to other color like green ? or wait for color white arrive ?

Also , we can arrange a refund for the out-of-stock item to you .

Would you please reply us in 5days ,or we will cancel the out of stock item and arrange the refund to you .

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

I ordered one of these cameras from BangGood a few days ago. Today I got this email from them, what do you make of this?

About item [SKU209350]Original XiaoMi Yi Ambarella A7LS BSI CMOS WIFI Sports Action Camera[+Color;White] ,the SN number for the wite camera is Z22, but some customers told us they would like Z23, which is the newest version now .

So we've changed SN number to Z23 ,but the item is out of stock now and will be restock in a week .

Would you want to change to other color like green ? or wait for color white arrive ?

Also , we can arrange a refund for the out-of-stock item to you .

Would you please reply us in 5days ,or we will cancel the out of stock item and arrange the refund to you .

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

I got the same reply. How did you proceed Wayne?

After that, received another email saying that the Z23 will take longer and that they could ship the Z22.

Kinda don't know what to do. Is the Z23 really better? Any opinions on that?

Regards,

José

I got the same reply. How did you proceed Wayne?

After that, received another email saying that the Z23 will take longer and that they could ship the Z22.

Kinda don't know what to do. Is the Z23 really better? Any opinions on that?

Regards,

José

First I asked what version the Green Camera was, it's Z22. I told them I would wait for the Z23 version of the white camera. Wonder how long it will be before I get it?

First I asked what version the Green Camera was, it's Z22. I told them I would wait for the Z23 version of the white camera. Wonder how long it will be before I get it?
They said they had no time frame they could provide. As so i decided i'd accept the Z22. It seems it's the same thing :)

I don't think it's precisely correct that the z23L does not have ir filter. My reason for suggesting this is when I put an aftermarket lens which had no ir cut filter on my 23L the image is pink and looks like ir photography. When I added an ir cut filter to that aftermarket lens, the colors came right. That lens is certainly different though

I have several cameras. First I got 2, both green z22's, and have been making stereo videos. Then I got another to mess around with, trying lenses and scripts with. This one is 23L. The stereo was going well enough so I got 6 more and plan to get into stitching and spherical video. For these I asked my aliexpress supplier to send all z22, to match my first green ones and keep it simple with firmware updates etc. They said they couldn't guarantee that but sent z22's anyway. After seeing this thread about the lenses being different, I took a lens off of a new z22 put it next to the z23L lens to see if they look different and match the pics posted in this thread and they do. The lenses are definitely different and the 23L appear to not have the ir coating like the other one. Looking down under a light, the lenses have different internal lens elements. I can tell because the internal reflections are different under my led desklamp, they have different pattern and colored reflections.

Next I snapped some video with the z23L camera and each of the lenses, the one it came with and the one from the 22. I wanted to see if there was any color shift due to the ir cut filter idea. There was not any, colors are about the same. There was some change in blooming with the 23L lens seemed more subject to flair, and possibly less sharp, but my tests were not very scientific. I would need to do them again to make a good opinion if one was better or not. Maybe I will do further tests at a later date and share some pix

Looking over the 6 new cams, all appeared to be same, with one exception. The exception was still a z22, but it's paper label was very slightly different, with the serial number printed bigger. Looking over all the lenses and judging their reflections, all the new cams I got have the same lens as my first green one except this one exception. This one, while having z22 sn, had a different lens from all the other z22s and it looks different still from the z23L lens

Many people may not be aware that there are 6 different hardware versions of the Xiaomi Yi Camera available. They are code named as follows:
  • 22L
  • 23L
  • 23A
  • 23S
Each hardware version has a DIFFERENT firmware. You can tell the hardware revision of your camera based on the first 3-4 digits of the serial number. For example the serial number should look something like this:

Z221xxxxxxxxxxx = Revision 22
Z22Lxxxxxxxxxxx = Revision 22L
Z231xxxxxxxxxxx = Revision 23
Z23Lxxxxxxxxxxx = Revision 23L
Z23Axxxxxxxxxxx = Revision 23A
Z23Sxxxxxxxxxxx = Revision 23S

The best way to download the proper firmware for your camera is to:
  1. Go the Xiaomi Chinese Upgrade Site: http://www.xiaoyi.com/home/upgrade.html
  2. Type in your serial number into the the white box
  3. Press the blue buttom
  4. You should now see a red button to download
The latest firmware as of May 11, 2015 is v1.0.12

Be careful when using a custom firmware because it may be based on different hardware than the camera you have purchased.
Sir what is the current firmare of Yi action camera i have a black colour yi action camera.
Where can i download latest version.

Back