Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera (1080p 60fps, WiFi) review

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera (1080p 60fps, WiFi) review

Thanks to Gearbest for supplying this unit.

Official website: http://www.mi.com/yicamera/
Product link: Price: $66.99USD w/ free shipping

Review:

Here is Xiaomi's first offering in the actioncam market, similar to the GoPro, SJCAM SJx000, etc. This camera features high quality components such as the Ambarella A7LS with a 16MP Sony Exmor Sensor. The Yi Camera actually trumps the specs of GoPro's entry-level camera with 1080P, 60fps video and up to 64GB of memory at about half the price. Other specs include built-in WiFi for remote smartphone triggering, 16-megapixel stills, a backside-illuminated Sony sensor, a 155-degree wide-angle lens, 3D noise reduction and digital image stabilization.

The Yi camera has a minimalist and simple design utilizing only 3 buttons to operate the camera: power/mode, shutter/start/stop, and WiFi. There is also an LED ring around the power button to indicate battery level (Blue indicates 50 - 100% charge, Indigo for 15 - 49% and Red for 0 - 14%). Video quality is superb in the day, and pretty good in the dark without many artifacts (see sample clips below). I would say video quality is better than the SJ4000 and on par with GoPro's Hero HD camera. The 60FPS capabilities captures super smooth video and definitely puts this camera ahead of the rest.

While the official Android and iOS applications are only in Chinese, there are other third party apps that can get the job done. Personally, I use the "LinkinEyes" app for the iPhone which allows me to view live stream and select between various camera settings. The WiFi app is required to change camera settings. Fear not, you won't have change settings often as all previous settings will stored and used the next time you turn on the camera.

At $73.79USD, the Xiaomi Yi sports camera is an amazing buy due to it's superb video quality at such a low price point. It's a shame that there are no extra accessories included with the camera but those aren't too expensive to buy separately. I would definitely recommend this action camera for anything looking for near GoPro video quality at a fraction of the cost.

Sample clips:

Wasn't able to upload in 1080p 60fps. Please let me know if there is a free program that can edit and export videos in 60fps. T_T

72PvP5E.jpg

Stock photos:

video-intro.png

xiaomi-mi-cam-2015-02-03-01.jpg

Specifications and feature list:

• Ambarella A7LS DSP + 16MP Sony Exmor R BSI Back-illuminated CMOS Image Sensor
  • 1080P 60/30FPS FHD Video Recording WiFi & Bluetooth Connection for iOS / Android device
  • Aspheric HD Optical Glass Lens / F2.8 Large Aperture 155° Ultra Wide Angle
  • ST High Performance 3-Axis G-sensor
  • Multiple photo shooting modes: Single shot, Self-Timer, Time-lapse, Burst Shot
  • Panasonic high efficiency (1100mAh) Lipo Battery with low power consumption design
  • Support storage cards up to 64GB maximum (Micro SD Card Class10+ recommended)
  • Standard 1/4"-20 tripod mount on camera compatible with Most Mounts and Accessories
  • A water-resistant housing (sold separately) allows you to film fascinating water sports up to 40 meters under water

Box contents:

• 1 x Action Camera
  • 1 x Battery
  • 1 x USB Cable
* optional Selfie Monopod Stick available

Last edited:
Back