Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera focus issue (hot glue)

dezmen3

Country
Ukraine
So i've disassembled my camera to fix focus and found out that there's 2 hot glued spots that doesn't come off that easily, even tried to put some power to twist it - no luck.
Anyone knows how to get rid of that hot glue?

Nigel

Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, 0906, A129, B1W
If it is cold hot glue then it will be hard, make it hot hot glue ;)

Country
Poland
Dash Cam
Xiaomi YI
I used sharp knife to remove as much glue as I could, than pliers with piece of gum to avoid scratching. Proper focus set :)
Mike

niko

Retailer
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
If you have a access to soldering station heat-gun, they have tiny directional nozzles. 200-230 C should soften a glue.
Use nails polisher to secure lens in place after you finished focusing.

leakydog

Country
Czech Republic
is that nail polisher really necessary? I didn't use anything to secure lens. It was still stiff enough in my opinion

niko

Retailer
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
is that nail polisher really necessary? I didn't use anything to secure lens. It was still stiff enough in my opinion
Overall if there is a tight fit, then nothing should happen, but when camera is working, cmos will heat up remaining left glue which keeps lens tight and when you try to wipe / clean lens, - there is a change you can accidentally move focus. At least I had this mistake twice. After that I never risk installing lens without fixing them permanently. Easiest is to use two drops of nail polisher. It is heat resistant, holds lens quite strong, but at the same time allows next time to adjust lens again if needed with half-force of lens twist.

leakydog

Country
Czech Republic
okay. I did marks on plastic sleeve of the lens so will notice if any movement just for sure. I don't have any nail polisher atm and I'm afraid to take off front shield of the camera again. These little clips are very weak

x0091935

Country
Portugal
i have some focus problems but jut note that on photo mode...can anyone help me...how to tune focus? any tutorial? Thanks

Country
Poland
Dash Cam
Xiaomi YI
Do you think guys connecting camera via HDMi to TV for realtime preview when adjust focus can help?
Mike

x0091935

Country
Portugal
So i've disassembled my camera to fix focus and found out that there's 2 hot glued spots that doesn't come off that easily, even tried to put some power to twist it - no luck.
Anyone knows how to get rid of that hot glue?
i have used a knife and cut the glue...

efoo

Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC, A118C, A118C2.
I am going to purchase one once Xiaomi has fixed this focus problem (hopefully).

-Pizdys-

Retailer
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
better than yours....
Focus Adjustment

My Xiaomi is one of the first relased version (first batch) from manufacturer, and focus indeed, was set wrong (about 2-5 meters),

not sure what type of glue they use now, but mine was soft and comes off very easily...

here you go, small instruction how to do this, J

skold

Country
United States
Is this something that might be fixed via software update? I just got mine and there is definitely a focus issue.

David M

Country
United States
If you watch the FliteTest episode on hot glue. There's a handy tip where denatured alcohol breaks the hotglue bond. See here at the 9min mark:

I wonder if rubbing alcohol will work too? Since we all usually have that in the house already.