Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera - some DIY sharing

luckylz

Reaction score
Country
China
Hi, All ! I'm from China, and I've just got a Yi Cam last month.
First of all, thanks for reverend, who shares a lot of great information about this camera, which can not found in Xiaomi official or others forum.
So I decide that I should also share some DIY experience on this camera.

Since the firmware updated to 1.0.7, Yi Cam opened the option of AV output from the micro USB, which allow users to connect to an external LCD/TV monitor to live view. Cause Yi Cam does not have a build-in LCD monitor.

I bought some micro USB 5pin male connectors, which looks like the follow pics:
m1.png m2.png
NOTICE: Yi Cam uses the USB No.4 pin as video(+) output, No.5 pin as GND

Easily to make it works !
m4.jpg m3.jpg

to be continue ...

Last edited by a moderator:
luckylz,

Thanks for your info.
Confirmed the Yi is now with AVI output.

1. Go to Android App Yi Camera and upload Firmware version 1.0.7
2. Turn on AV Output
3. Connect the Micro USB Wire to Yi Camera. One pair of the 4 wires will give you the video / earth wires

IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1732.JPG

Yi Cam doesn't shipped with any lens cap, so as other Yi's users, I try some bottle water cap, perfectly fits!
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
It's only RMB1.2 as about 1/6 US$, cheaper than any real lens cap! So other country's user, please just try your own bottle water cap you can easily get.

Hi, All ! I'm from China, and I've just got a Yi Cam last month.
First of all, thanks for reverend, who shares a lot of great information about this camera, which can not found in Xiaomi official or others forum.
So I decide that I should also share some DIY experience on this camera.

Since the firmware updated to 1.0.7, Yi Cam opened the option of AV output from the micro USB, which allow users to connect to an external LCD/TV monitor to live view. Cause Yi Cam does not have a build-in LCD monitor.

I bought some micro USB 5pin male connectors, which looks like the follow pics:
View attachment 12672 View attachment 12673
NOTICE: Yi Cam uses the USB No.4 pin as video(+) output, No.5 pin as GND

Easily to make it works !
View attachment 12676 View attachment 12675

to be continue ...
Hi luckylz, thanks for informatin. I have question about microusb pin out in xiaomi Yi, are there any pins for connect external microphone? If not may be sometime in futures FW will be possible connect external mic thrugh bluetooth as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi luckylz, thanks for informatin. I have question about microusb pin out in xiaomi Yi, are there any pins for connect external microphone? If not may be sometime in futures FW will be possible connect external mic thrugh bluetooth as well. :)
So far I find no info. about the audio output function, both AV or HDMI output has no sound at all.
But heard from Chinese guy, good news is HDMI output is clean & un-compress. If have an external HDMI recorder, you can record vidoe with Apple Prores 4:2:2 videos.

Still no luck on getting audio of the HDMI/USB port? I'm using my camera to do youtube streaming and sucks to have to grab the audio from another source.

My Yi Cam Battery Door had been damaged, It cant lock properly, so I made a simple modification on the battery door in order to make it work properly again. Check this out on the video.

Question : Anyone have ever experienced in lens removal and replace the original lens with CCTV lense? or other flat lens ?? let me know please

Back