westsenkovec

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Please share your experiences with the waterproof cases that you own to help other forum members who want to buy a case for their camera.
This way we will have all the feedback in one place.

Write the pros and cons of your case and post a link where you bought it.
Also tell us if the case is waterproof and if you have dark edges on your footage (vignetting).

I bought this one...received it with my order along with the camera, a couple spare batteries and an acessory kit. Quality is very good I think

i use the newest edition of original xiaomi and that fits very good.
When lens rectification is on --> no dark edges on video and foto mode.
Lens retification off --> no dark edges on video and foto mode.

...here is a very good cases review from el producente:

I got a generic non-official one included with my camera from a seller on Ebay UK called "Super Cheap City", and the first one I got was completely useless, as it wasn't actually waterproof. Thankfully, they were quick in sending a replacement, but I wasn't happy that it wasn't a genuine case they sent, especially after how much they used "GENUINE!" in all their listings about the camera. From what I can tell so far, the replacement is waterproof and shows no sign of vignetting, even with the 4:3 full picture.

I've attached a picture of the first one I got, showing that the front of the lens cover on the case wasn't actually bonded to the inner seal on the body. When put in a basin of water, air would bubble out and water would leak in.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 28
I don't have an Xiaomi Yi waterproof case YET, but I have dealt with several waterproof cameras in the past. I'm trying to decide what case I want, as I have a SONY HDR-AS15 with a nice 60m case and flat front focus corrected lens cover. I learned a few things over the years:

- Always inspect the O-ring prior to use for signs of pinching/damage,/sand particles
- Rinse off cases with fresh water if using in salt water
- O-rings like a little lubrication over time (vaseline works well, but a little bit goes a long way)
- My SONY came with some anti-fog sheets. It will really fog up in humid environments, so the sheets help (a silcia gel pack is probably good too) but look ino anti-fog sheets in you have issues
- The cases completely muffle sound. Not an issue underwater, but annoying if you just want "splash-proofing"

I'm using the 60m underwatercase with the red O-ring. I've posted a sample video on youtube just as a showcase.

Yi Camera - Z22L - 1.2.12 - 2304x1296 - 30Mbit - Sharpening 4096 (see script below)
case: http://bit.ly/1LglLmo
2 fog inserts
dive max depth: 12m

i use the newest edition of original xiaomi and that fits very good.
When lens rectification is on --> no dark edges on video and foto mode.
Lens retification off --> no dark edges on video and foto mode.

...here is a very good cases review from el producente:

Thanks. That's a good video to give you an idea how the cases look and function of but as he said, he has a off-center lens so the results are not 100% reliable.
Since we already have a forum for the Xiaomi Yi, we might as well use it to gather experience with the cases. It doesn't hurt to hear more experiences.

I don't have an Xiaomi Yi waterproof case YET, but I have dealt with several waterproof cameras in the past. I'm trying to decide what case I want, as I have a SONY HDR-AS15 with a nice 60m case and flat front focus corrected lens cover. I learned a few things over the years:

- Always inspect the O-ring prior to use for signs of pinching/damage,/sand particles
- Rinse off cases with fresh water if using in salt water
- O-rings like a little lubrication over time (vaseline works well, but a little bit goes a long way)
- My SONY came with some anti-fog sheets. It will really fog up in humid environments, so the sheets help (a silcia gel pack is probably good too) but look ino anti-fog sheets in you have issues
- The cases completely muffle sound. Not an issue underwater, but annoying if you just want "splash-proofing"

Good tips!

I'm using the 60m underwatercase with the red O-ring. I've posted a sample video on youtube just as a showcase.

Yi Camera - Z22L - 1.2.12 - 2304x1296 - 30Mbit - Sharpening 4096 (see script below)
case: http://bit.ly/1LglLmo
2 fog inserts
dive max depth: 12m

Great post!

I've two Xi's right now with me.
Both of them with Cases.
One of the cases is branded Makibes. It works flawless. Never had a problem using in water situations, never tested how deep tough.
On the other hand got another water cases, with no brand (Mistar?) that came in a kit from amazon. The main difference is the lens cap, one is square *makibes and this new no brand (Mistar?) one is rounded. Gives me strange flare or white vignetting and the image quality really sucks with the case on it.

So my guess is try to avoid this waterproof case.
Here's a picture:
TxqCGxX.png
TxqCGxX.png

Someone has tested the skeleton back door of gopro hero 4 (for sound, NO WATERPROOF) on original xiaomi waterproof case? I can remove the back door but I don't know if gopro door fits on our case.

I just drilled some holes in mine

Did anyone test the non waterproof cap from go pro to the kingma case? Does it fit?

Back