Xiaoyi dashcam - record in non HD to store more videos

Say2paul

Reaction score
Country
India
I have been using Xiaoyi dashcam, no doubt it is a wonderful device with great quality videos.

The problem I am facing is that being an HD video recorder, Xiaoyi dashcam is only able to store 4 hours video in 32GB of memory card. Even if I go for 64GB, it will save just 8 hours of videos.

As per the Xiaoyi dashcam specifications, the maximum memory supported is 64GB SD card.

The lowest possible video resolution displayed in menu is 1080p 30fps.

I have 2 queries:

1. Can we put more than 64GB memory card On Xiaoyi dashcam
2. Can I reduce video resolution to 720p or 480p to store more videos

Thanks in advance.

You can try putting in a higher storage card option, but as most dashcam that records in 1080p, 4 hour on a 32gb is normal and most people record it in that resolution since its the highest quality that you can get the most detail out of.. Otherwise recording in lower quality, you might get as much detail when needed.

Not sure if you can reduce the resolution since I don't have that dashcam and don't know the settings. If there is that option to lower the resolution, then go ahead and do so, but like I said, most prefer recording in the highest possibly resolution for details.

Thanks runtohell, I appreciate your suggestions.

However I am looking for someone who can answer the queries.

I have 2 queries:

1. Can we put more than 64GB memory card On Xiaoyi dashcam
2. Can I reduce video resolution to 720p or 480p to store more videos

answered your own question

the maximum memory supported is 64GB SD card.

The lowest possible video resolution displayed in menu is 1080p 30fps.

you can try formatting a larger card using 3rd party software in your PC and it might read it, no guarantees though, resolution you can't do anything about though

Thanks Joklin. Yup, you may say I have answered. Though I was looking for some kind of hack if it's available.

I guess I have to shift to some other dashcam.

update the xiaomi yi to the latest firmware as well as the app on your smartphone, it has option to reduce the resolution to 480p too
go into settings you will find it, if not restart the camera and go again, there is some bug which doesnt show the menu often. but trying it the 2nd time will bring you the menu.

update the xiaomi yi to the latest firmware as well as the app on your smartphone, it has option to reduce the resolution to 480p too
go into settings you will find it, if not restart the camera and go again, there is some bug which doesnt show the menu often. but trying it the 2nd time will bring you the menu.

he has the dashcam not the sport cam

the hardware is different, their intended market is very different also

Dear @jokiin

Can you please suggest me a Dashcam that can be viewed remotely via Internet.

Or suggest me a NVR that I can put in my car for this purpose.

Basically i want to use this as a surveillance device in Uber to keep a watch on drivers activities.

you would need to look at something like the multi channel systems they use in buses, there are some of these that have remote viewing capability, they don't offer high quality video but your desire for all day recording means high quality isn't really an option anyway, which is best I have no idea as they are not products I am involved in at all

you would need to look at something like the multi channel systems they use in buses, there are some of these that have remote viewing capability, they don't offer high quality video but your desire for all day recording means high quality isn't really an option anyway, which is best I have no idea as they are not products I am involved in at all

Thanks @jokiin

I guess you are right. I will not get high definition. I am Ok to compromise on the video quality, as the primary requirement would be remote surveillance.

I understand you are not directly involved in such multi CH cameras, however you may recommend some NVR for car.

Back