Yay or nay? Need new dashcam

Buy or Pass

• Total voters

TheACN

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

Now that A129 pro duo has been out for a while; is it a good buy? I currently have an F800 that's been serving me well for over 3 years. It's VERY reliable, it never fails to record. However the low bitrate of 1080p video is, well, plain bad for 2020 standards. I like the clarity Viofo offers but want to make sure overall people are happy with their purchases? I'm not considering a u1000; looks like the bitrate is again low and there has been some reported issues with it.

Please cast your vote?

Thanks
CN

I have both the F800 Pro and A129 Pro Duo.
I would say the thinkware is a more user friendly and better dashcam in general, but then again the thinkwares are almost 3 times the price.
In terms of video quality the Viofo is better, and the option of up to 10 minutes per file, as compared to thinkwares fixed 1 minute per file.
Besides that, thinkware is better in all other areas.

I have neither one, but as I see it the reason for having a dashcam means that video quality and clarity matters, and in that regard the Viofo wins by a large margin. The vast price difference just makes it an even bigger winner, as I've not seen any more 'dead cam' reports from one brand versus the other. If you need use of features other than driving recordings, that may play a role in your choice.

Phil

I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

If what you have is still doing the same job it did when you got it then what you're spending money on is the functional difference(s) between what you have and what you'll replace it with - and only you can decide if it's worth the cost. Everyone else's opinion is just that, their opinion based on their values and priorities - nothing quantitative or qualitative to base a decision on.

ps: I didn't vote.

Last edited:
Back