Yeecore D-21 4K Dashcam

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
This is an initial review- as my testing is completed I'll remove this in the final version- Phil

Yeecore sent me their D21 dasgcam for review at no cost to me. Rest assured I'll review it asd fairly and accurately as I can.

Initial Impressions
The cam came in a sleeved box sealed with cellophane plastic, which assures you that it's new from the factory and has not been tampered with and aids in waterproofing the package. Inside the cam sits in a foam surround, well protected with the accessories in a separate box. Even with normal bad handling in shipping your cam should arrive in great shape. 9/10 for the box. The supercap-equipped cam seems solid and the case is screwed together, the moldings crisp and edges smooth. Unfortunately the lens surround is shiny as are the two horizontal center 'stripes' which detract from this cam's stealthiness. At all 4 corners are large air vents; this cam won't be lacking cooling airflow. On top is robust-looking slide-in mount slot and the photo/power switch plus a port for a rear-cam, on the side a Micro SD card slot and on the bottom a reset button and the mic hole. This isn't a small cam, perhaps slightly narrower than G1W types, but it's attractive looking. On the back is a large LCD screen with 2 buttons to the right side for other function controls. Each button has a switch underneath at it's top and bottom making for 4 places to press. Not pressing the wrong button cam be an issue if you have fat fingers like I do. Each button also has both long and short press functionality which I found a little confusing, but their layout and use are kind of intuitive. Cam design gets 7/10 and would be less but for the great ventilation.

The accessories include a ciggie-plug PS with an extra USB port, others of this type I've used are robust and will support 2 cams. A very nice touch is the angled USB-C plug at the cam which can be turned left or right allowing for a cleaner-looking install and tighter fit than cams using straight or older USB-variant plugs. You also get a shorter straight-plug cable with a USB-A end for adapting to your laptop or other PS. Also you get a trim pry tool, a clear electrostatic sheet, and several cable clips. Missing is an extra 3M mounting pad meaning you only get one chance to mount it straight. The mount with built-in GPS will be discussed shortly. The black-and-white owner's manual is good and comes in several languages with each being shared with a Chinese section, meaning that other than Chinese needs a different manual so you need to let your seller know which language you want. I got lost with the button-function chart, but those functions are kind of intuitive to experienced cam owners though a newbie might have problems. 9/10 on accessories.

GPS and Mount
Here things get interesting. The cam power goes to the mount only which means no desk-testing once you've mounted the cam. The mount has a built-in GPS which functions well. The vertical adjustment on the mount has finely-spaced notches and should prove OK for most windshields, however truly vertical windshields as some large trucks have will be a problem, as will highly-sloped windshields past about 45 degrees. I'll add some measurements soon. The mount also rotates horizontally through a wide range which will always allow a straight-ahead view in mounting even with the cam mounted to one side of your windshield. Both these adjustments are friction-tight but can be locked with the single thumb-screw. A very tight fit where the cam engages the slot which also has a latch meaning this cam will never fall off the mount. Other than the limited vertical adjustment range this is an excellent mount for this type of cam so I'll give it 9/10

App
The phone app is only for a viewer, no cam controls there but you can use it to upload files to your phone. Other than making sure the dual-band wifi would connect to my older Android phone I did no other 'app' testing. I've come to like good phone apps for cam control, but with the large LCD screen on the cam itself you don't need one here.

G-Sensor
Yes it has one but I haven't tested it yet. Will update this section soon.

Motion Detect and ADAS
Not available

Parking Mode
Based on G-sensor only although a time-lapse function is available. You need a Hardwire Kit to use the G-sensor parking mode. The Amazon page doesn't offer a HWK but Yeecore's site does. I will test with the Viofo HWK soon and let you know if and how well this parking mode works soon.

Video
This cam records true 4K 3840x2160@30 fps but day and night default exposure is overly bright; reducing that might cause some loss at night. More on this soon. The lens seems to be of good optical quality and clarity with no distortion. The 157 degree diagonal FOV gives roughly 120 degrees horizontally which is average. On the basis of only very limited testing I'll give this cam 8/10 on video. Loop recording time segments are 1/3/5 minute selections. It uses WDR which may not be switchable. See addendum for more.

Audio
To be tested soon

Cards
Can accept up to a 512GB card, U3 recommended. Samsung EVO Select 128GB works well, as does the Sandisk Extreme 64GB A2 card.

Specs
This cam uses the OmniVision OS 08A 10 8MP sensor and the Novatek 96670 processor. Bitrate specs soon.

Addendum
Yeecore may be planning to add a rear cam option soon, though it is not available as I write this- I am making inquiries now. They do make this cam in a 2-channel version as the D 22. Oddly the planned rear cam apparently has HDR instead of WDR as in front. The owner's manual indicates that a suction mount is supplied. Yeecore has informed me that the wording in the manual will be changed and that they won't be offering a suction mount. Not many people use them anymore so I think that's OK. This cam comes with a 12 month warranty and according to the manual will be extended to 18 months if you register it at their website. Yeecore has a bespoke viewer for this cam for your PC or laptop which seems to offer several nice functions like map tracking with g-sensor notations and more.

This seems to be a very nice cam of high quality. The mount, airflow vents, cabling, and other aspects show that more than the usual amount of thought and care went into making this cam. The night-time vids are good; better than a lot of other 4K cams. It seems like a very good cam in my limited testing so far.

Dislikes
The size is on the big side, the shiny parts up front aren't stealthy. The 'high-low' press points on the buttons mean you get the wrong reaction- I'd prefer 4 separate buttons. Vertical mount adjustment is limited. Menu options minimal or absent.

Conclusion
So far this seems to be a very nice cam with above-average quality and vid performance, which matters a lot to experienced cam users. All the functionality you really eed in a dasgcan is here although it lacks some advanced features. More than the usual amount of thought has went into this cam and it shows, it is a cam I like overall.

Last edited:
Daytime footage:
Raw File

Nighttime footage (Will update, didn't realize windshield was downright nasty) Note that when this vid was recorded it was fully night-time!
Raw File

Last edited:
Thanks to Phil for making suggestions that gave my team and me more direction to think about.

YEECORE dual dashcam D22 is selling on Amazon. D21 just the front dashcam with 3” IPS Screen,
D22 is D21 (4K) +HDR 1080p rear cam, 5.0GHz/2.4GHz dual WiFi, smartphone APP, allows you to seamlessly view your videos on your smartphone using the yeecoreviewer app. 24 hours parking monitor, G-Sensor, proprietary distortion correction algorithm, loop recording, built-in digital image stabilization, wide dynamic range, advanced H.265 video compression technology, screen saver, USB Type C ports and included USB charger, time-lapse video and so much more features.

Just a quick update- my Yeecore D-21 is still working reliably. It's a nice cam (y)

Phil

Just a quick update- my Yeecore D-21 is still working reliably. It's a nice cam (y)

Phil

How is compared to 70mai A800s and its capacitor base ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have an A800s to directly compare but I think the D 21 has clearer sharped video quality.

Phil

Back