YI 4K Action Camera 1.0.13 firmware [update log]

YIcameraCS

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Hello YI fans!

Hope you had a good week, it's almost Friday! Anyways, today we just released a new firmware 1.0.13, please give a update to see what's new! Here are the update log:

Added Wi-Fi countries selection option;
Added Flat Color option;
Added Video Mute option;

Fixed the inaccurate time length of time lapse video when recording at 25fps;
Fixed bug: instant screen auto lock after changing modes on APP
Fixed bug: better experience when turning on the camera with instant record mode

Improved the touchscreen user experience
Improved the LED option text
As always, any suggestions for the firmware please leave a comment below or you can join our official Facebook group to talk more: https://www.facebook.com/groups/838989242858914/

Hi,

Thank you for the changelog. Maybe you can answer my 2 questions, I posted them on the official FB group but I have not received a reply yet.

- Is it possible to add a 2.5K (or 2.7K) mode with 60fps or more? Indeed, shooting above 1080p allows to obtain a sharper image and to make post-production stabilization.
4K mode is great but 30fps is too low for action ;)

- Is it possible to modify the video bitrate?

Thanks!

Yes, 2.5k 60FPS would be amazing!

Could you also look into the MicroSD issue many users are facing? It looks like the camera won't accept many MicroSD cards from different brands (I'm talking about UHS-3 MicroSD's), additionally some are facing the problem of MicroSD not being recognized upon the camera being power on.

Great job by the way, thanks!

Apparently 2.7K in 16:9 ratio @ 60fps is on its way.

I only have the following SD cards which work great, not had any problems when recording 4K

81PApqkROJL._SX450_.jpg

Lexar MicroSDXC 64GB Flash Memory Card - LSDMI64GABEUC10

In theory anything can be implememnted. I've been talking to the software devs about various *best possible modes, also including photo + video at the same time. What you start hitting up against is the processor limitations and bus speeds. Whilst this is slightly faster than a GoPro4 and runs 30fps 4k fine, when you start pushing all fronts may not quite cut it! I think the devs will implement it, and they see if the camera can keep up, if it can you can be sure it will be included as they seem keen to do as much as is possible with the hardware!

I'd like to see a pc camera option and selectable FOV.

I would like to see more development of dashcam functionality, like how the gitup2 action camera works.
Also techmoan, did mention this in his review. So there should be some nice options if you want to use
it as a dashcam when you need to. Plus there should be a option to have the led on the front blink
to indicate it is recording.

Also (just like with gitup2) it would be nice if work was done on the video it self, they too had problems
with colors and so on, but they included in the firmware options to change that and worked a lot
on the quality to get the video as close to reality as possible.

Another thing would be the stabilization, perhaps the option of low, medium and high, in order to
control how much stabilization you get, depending on what you need.

The only other downside to the camera, it would have been nice with a 3.5 analog microphone input
and being able to select that as a sound input, or use both to record two separate audio streams,
and the option to monitor the levels on both audio inputs on the screen and having the ability to
adjust them. This it probably the major downside of actioncams, DSLRs etc, they this simple function
is missing. Most action cams produce nice video but lack the option of having good audio with simple
changes that makes a big difference to the audio you can capture.

From the downloaded videos of the YI 4K action cam, I am ordering one soon. The 4K looks amazing,
true 4k camera that can fit in your pocket, and has good sound, despite built in microphones. It would
have been so nice to have a optional 3.5 mic jack, and a "cage" for the camera, so you can mount a mic
and have extra battery connected.

:D

Last edited:
Considering they already have a dashcam version of the original Yi I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release a 4K version of it at a later date. At the moment it provides basic functionality for recording in a loop.

With regards to stabilization, in a round about way it is already there. When you stabilize the amount of stabilization is dictated by the output format you are recording to. So if you stabilize to 1080 then I would say this is minimum stabilization. When you stabilize to 720p then that would be maximum. Having separate low medium and high setting will only crop the image more and then you have to upscale back to the output resolution which isn't going to be the best quality. Stabilization in post processing is already available via a specific Yi Action Camera version of Microsoft's Hyperlapse Pro.

They have already answered that there is only one port on the camera which is a Micro USB, this doesn't have the required connections to be able to do audio. They have said however that they are looking at the possibility of a Bluetooth audio device connection.

I'd like to see a pc camera option and selectable FOV.

They are looking at introducing live streaming to the Yi 4K.

They have already released via beta firmware the option to do Wide, Medium and Narrow field of views for 1080p and below and Medium field of view for 2.5K
There is no option for 4K field of view as the FOV is achieved by cropping.

hirsti99 ok I did not know that.

I have reviewd some downloaded clips and the stabilization looks to be just as good at in gitup2, the same. Impressive, and the video quality at 1080p is great.
Actually the 720p mode seems real bad for some reason, perhaps it is a cropping in on the 1080p video. But why use 720p anyway.

Yeah, the bluetooth thing would be a great option. If you could select that as a single audio source, or have both recorded to separate streams, then you can mix
them together, edit or whatever you want to do. That would be so nice, as the audio part of most action cameras is bad. You can get so much better audio
with simple microphones that have separate battery power etc.

hirsti99 ok I did not know that."

I have Beta Tested the Live Streaming to Facebook this morning, it works very well.

The way that it works is that you create a live stream event on your Yi App, you then configure what wifi network to use, the quality video stream you want FHD, HD or SD and the refresh rate the app then gives you a QR code onscreen.
You select the Live tile in the camera and it will give you a QR scanner screen on the Yi 4K camera. Scan the QR code on the app and the camera will connect to wifi and initiate stream.
On the app you then choose view live stream in the Yi ap or on facebook.

When in facebook the stream is displayed as a live stream, similar to an uploaded video but with ability to view who is watching and add commentary/comments.

Very impressed with the implementation.

Hello YI fans!

Hope you had a good week, it's almost Friday! Anyways, today we just released a new firmware 1.0.13, please give a update to see what's new! Here are the update log:

Added Flat Color option;
Added Video Mute option;

Fixed bug: better experience when turning on the camera with instant record mode

As always, any suggestions for the firmware please leave a comment below or you can join our official Facebook group to talk more: https://www.facebook.com/groups/838989242858914/
hello
Hello YI fans!

Added Flat Color option;
Added Video Mute option;

hello I'd like if you can introduce in new firmware the digital zoom,at 5x will be perfect,I hope it will be in update,it would be very great..thank you

Hello YI fans!

Added Flat Color option;
Added Video Mute option;

Fixed bug: better experience when turning on the camera with instant record

HELLO CAN YOU INTRODUCE THE DIGITAL ZOOM?IT WOULD BE VERY GREAT

I would be great if in new version of firmware you will implement autorecording function, or function to turn on camera and recording when gyroscope reads any movement.
I'm using this camera as my motorcycle dashcam, and it would be great if camera would auto start recording when I turn it on.
It would be simpler for me and many users, because I have mounted camera on my helmet, and it is hard to turn camera on, wait few seconds, and next start recording.

And next question: why in newest firmware there isn't an option for record Ultra 4k (very wide screen) with 30fps? In my previous version there was this option.

I'm guessing you want to use it for film use. 24fps not great for motion.

Personally I'd like to see as close to 4K at 120fps. However, the cam probably can't handle it. The reason why is the higher frame rate helps with the motion in good light. Yep you'#re going to throw most frames away, but the ones left will have less motion blur, assuming you discard rather than blend.

I'd also like to see more development biased towards quality than adding features. eg Testing new firmware tweaks, new lenses, codecs etc etc.

it would be interesting to have 4k with lens correction

Any chance of a 24fps frame rate in future firmware?

Bingo, I need this too. Cams without 24 fps are useless to me, since you can't mix it with movie footage. That's what I used the first Yi for. For the life of mine I don't get why they don't offer 24 fps on the Yi 2. Hell, I would order 6 cams to shoot 360 degree VR videos if they could do 24 fps, but no.

Back