Yi 4k+ bitrate mod and firmware unpacker.

@irungentoo interesting development with the framerate increase. What's the bottleneck here, just heat? Think 2.7K 4:3 could be pushed to higher frame rate as well?

Irungentoo is there a script to have Yi 4k+ turn and auto start recording when it detects power to the USB C port and turns off when it ceases to receive power?

Is there any way to force this camera to be UVC device to use it as a webcam?

-albertr

Hi all, just curious, is it possible to do H.265 on resolutions, like 1080p, 2.7k maybe? lower fps?
cheers

Hi all, just curious, is it possible to do H.265 on resolutions, like 1080p, 2.7k maybe? lower fps?
cheers

Pretty sure yes. The H.265 is just a more efficient encoding algorithm so if the settings exist in the camera, it doesn't matter. Though I believe for Yi 4k/4k+ you can even adjust resolution/fps with a little script file in the root of SD card thanks to Irungentoo.

yes i read the thread, nice thing you guis doing here, just busting my brain for couple of days, i can't decide which to buy 4k or 4k+, if with lower resolution&fps hardware is less used so camera can record in h.265 on 4k+ i will purchase 4k+ then, if not i will take 4k, difference in price 4k vs 4k+ is ~222$ vs ~346$

Looks like the price went up again, I bought 4k+ during winter break for 210$ all included(tax/s&h) on Amazon. It is still a far cry from GoPro6Black which is now 400$ on Amazon however it has a lot of untapped potential. I wish the upcoming firmware fixes low light performance and includes a car mode like some other action cams.

Yi technology is not forthcoming with fw improvements-The original xiaomi Yi has had only a few updates that changed the factory fw very little!

Irungentoo quick question: Is it possible to increase Yi 4k+ fps to 240 at 1080, matching Hero6black, if you decrease the bitrate? Or is there a limitation in the chipset/sensor?

Thanks

Can you modify the firmware to make it shoot at exactly 24 fps ? Like 4k 24p ? 24 progressive ? Can you try and make it film at only 24p and make it max our the bitrate ? Like 100+ mbps ? Or Maybe the most awesome thing: make it film raw 4k ? Battery life would be irrelevant cause it can always be kept plugged in. Do you know what format it officially films ? Does it support any of these (or be hacked for ) avchd or dnxhd or prores 422 or prores hq ?
If it could film 4k 24p raw that would make it the most awesome indie movie camera cause it's quite cheap compared to every other film cameras that are 4k and 100+ mbps bitrate.

You can easily do that with what Irungentoo posted. You can select 4k@24fps then you can add a script to increase the bitrate to whatever you want to try. You can try bitrates up to 250mbps but it is likely to be unstable. 150-180 might be doable...

Yes, 4k@24fps is included in the latest firmware. I could not get even 200-250mbps bitrate to work consistently at 30fps....you might be able to get slightly higher bitrate at fewer fps but I doubt you could get it beyond 180 with any consistency. So 400-900 is wishful thinking...

Can you see better clarity in 1080p using the .ash higher bitrates?

Kind of sad that you have to mess with the camera to get more bitrate, why can they not just include more settings in the firmware and provide users with the maximum or close to maximum limit for people who want more bitrate. If the Sony x3000 can do 100Mbit so can the YI so why limit the hardware ?

I would have bought a gopro a long time ago if it had functions for dashcam use etc, external microphone but they are a bit expensive and as of now I do not know if this action cam market is stable. Seems to be going down the drain, to many players and to little revenue unless you are in China, then it might work. But regardless of hardware if you do not have a solid stable firmware what is the point of flashy hardware.

The thing with higher bitrates is editing and everything else, so you do not loose any quality. Once you do your finale encode you get the high bitrates where they are needed and the rest is compressed to a good enough quality. Seems that Yi has been silent for a while, or the action cam business in general.

I wonder if you can use gopro for dashcam use, or are they still ignoring that ?

The online manuals for Heros 4 and 5 don't mention dash cam use. I'm sure any of them will overheat and shut down!
And btw Gopro 5 's highest bitrates is 78 mbps!
My Yi 4k+ has, with fine quality at 4k 60, a bitrate of 135.Adequate, I think!

Last edited by a moderator:
The online manuals for Heros 4 and 5 don't mention dash cam use. I'm sure any of them will overheat and shut down!

they overheat if run for too long already, great product for their intended purpose but wrong product for dashcam use

Back