Yi 4k+ bitrate mod and firmware unpacker.

Once again, in many cases it doesn't matters.

It matters if you want to have a realtime video with a native framerate and change speed.

But think out of the box. Your video is only a looooong set of static puctures. And you can play them with any speed. So, if you just need a slowmo, you will want to have as many pictures during a captured action as possible. Then, you will want to play them as slow as possible. That all :)
at least it's a multiple of an existing frame rate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've read complaints from uses of Hero6 ranging from freezing , black or purple screen, a severe massive light beam from top right to bottom left, and half screens!

I find odd frame rates can be a problem when trying to edit videos, I'd rather stick within the standards used
135 Mbps in high quality at 4k/60 with the Yi 4k+ sure tops Gopro Hero 6's 78 Mbps max.!

Regarding double frames.
Seems like I just need to RTFM :)

"If you get double frames set exposure manually"

I probably missed this point: as I wrote before, some videos taken at 70fps are normal and other not.

Can't check it now, just breal my camera. BTW, newer use protective glass together with WG2 gimbal :)

The thing is, Hero 6 has better video quality at 78 mbps than 4k+ at 135mbps so mbps is not everything in of itself.

I also would avoid making blanket statements about things which may not be relevant for you. Some people use features I don't and it's completely fine.

The point of oddball features is not the features in of themselves in this instance, instead it is just a process of pushing the camera's potential. You are focusing on results/destination versus the journey/process.

No, it does not!! Just greater saturation with the 6 and I prefer the natural view of the world and not one with exaggerated color!
And let's not forget about the MASSIVE beam of light if you are angled anywhere near the sun!!

Last edited by a moderator:
High bitrates are going to be more beneficial than odd frame rates, to each his own though

+1

Regarding double frames.
Seems like I just need to RTFM :)

"If you get double frames set exposure manually"

I probably missed this point: as I wrote before, some videos taken at 70fps are normal and other not.

Can't check it now, just breal my camera. BTW, newer use protective glass together with WG2 gimbal :)

You will probably find it hard to edit 70fps on anything less than a higher end program as most lower end programs have presets which are 30fps and 60fps (and 25/50). There's can be a quality difference between a video pulled into an editor at it's native settings and one that isn't. With 70fps, you're forcing the editor to discard or ignore some frames which is probably why some videos are abnormal as some important frame information may be lost.

As for more frames being better, don't forget, compression is measured in mbs (mb per second). Cram more frames in, and you increase the compression rate to fit them in. Higher compression = lower quality.

In DaVinci you can simple set clip property and assign any FPS which you need. So, put 70FPS clip on 24fps timeline, change its FPS to 24 and enjoy slowmo at 3x slowdown.

BTW, the free version is great, you have to try it.

And yes, higher fps will consume bitrate. Fortunately, even 4K 70fps/200bps is works (and even 250). The overheating still be a problem, but in this case even short 3-5 secs of records works pretty well, if you know what to do.

I'm not familiar with DaVinci, but some answers here seem they might be relevant:

Quote: The look of 24fps comes from the shutter speed. Taking 30fps and converting it to 24fps (dropping frames) will give you an inconsistent pacing (sometimes every other frame is dropped, sometimes two in a row) and a shorter shutter speed (although may not be too noticeable).

Click box containing question to go to full answer:

With all my respect, changing fps for slow motion and fps conversion is the very different things. Please read what I wrote above ;)

If you need a slow FPS footage, shot slow. If you need SlowMo, shot as fast as possible.

(but anyway, modern professional software doing fps conversion pretty well).

Yeah you're time stretching it, I get that, but you still need to be able to pull the video into the editor at 70fps for it to understand it's 70fps, otherwise it will down convert it to 60fps or whatever preset it's using, to make it fit, in which case frames will be lost before it's stretched and that may cause some timing issues as convention would suggest the frames will be dropped throughout the clip. Like I said, I'm not familiar with DaVini and it's import capabilities. All I'm saying is are you sure DaVini is seeing it as 70fps and not some other frame rate prior to import. Sometimes what you can type and what you can set in software are different things.

you still need to be able to pull the video into the editor at 70fps for it to understand it's 70fps
No, you don't. YI camera with the script attributed 70fps footages as 60fps, just with time stretching - your "70fps" footages will be 60fps slowmo, just with a very tiny downspeeding.

So, any editor will recognize it without any problems.

Last edited:
No, you don't. YI camera with the script attributed 70fps footages as 60fps, just with time stretching - your "70fps" footages will be 60fps slowmo, just with a very tiny downspeeding.

So, any editor will recognize it without any problems.

OK. I've always done it from the Event Properties in my editor. Beyond what I've already suggested as possible issue, I have no further clue.

I had pretty solid results with 4k@60fps(no stabilization) at 150mbps at low quality and highest sharpness. The camera did skip frames. However it is a step in the right direction. I had files 5.5gb with setting of maximum and loop.

Hi,
I found this thread and find it really interesting. I'm trying to follow but I don't understand how you get this informations you found till yet (for example the offset: Z16_DATA_OFFSET).
My problem is, that from my yi4k the wifi is broken. So my idea is to change the firmware, so that there is a possibility to create a ethernet connection over the usb. For this I have to get a more understanding of the firmware.

Can I use mksquashfs to create a new squash from the unsquashed out_8.bin?

Last edited:
Aww lol...

I thought somewhere in and amongst the posts i would find a way to increase the bit rate of rtmp streams. The current max is 1.2 isn't good enough for 720p. I'm not even sure why 720p or 1080p are even an option as a resolution given the low bit rate.

My search continues....

Has anybody tried to get raw dng or JPEG to record at video frame rates?

Thanks.

Does anyone reading this have a fix on how to correct the code problem with the Yi 4k and plus regarding the switching to photo and bursting when the voice control is selected and the cam is on?

Back