Yi 4k plus - Salt water damage

Francescototti10

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi guys,
While making a slowmo my yi 4k plus was hit by a Wabe and turned off. I let the cam dry out Co er ed by Rice so that all the liquid went out. Now, when i turn on the cam, it makes the normal 'turning on sound', but then, on the Front the LED shines continuosly in Red. After that, the cam is no more usable. I cant turn it off, i cant shot Fotos, i cant Connect via WiFi. Did anyone of u make Experience with that Kind of Problem? Thank you!

Take the battery out and drop the camera in fresh water, or preferably distilled water, for an hour to dissolve all the salt, try to get all the air out, then dry it out again, giving it plenty of time.

Action cameras normally survive fresh water, salt water often kills them, and even if you get it working it may die later through salt corrosion. Getting all the salt out is critical.
Distilled water doesn't conduct so it may work even if it still has distilled water inside - you don't need to fully dry it out with distilled water.

Take the battery out and drop the camera in fresh water, or preferably distilled water, for an hour to dissolve all the salt, try to get all the air out, then dry it out again, giving it plenty of time.

Action cameras normally survive fresh water, salt water often kills them, and even if you get it working it may die later through salt corrosion. Getting all the salt out is critical.
Tanks a lot man

I got the same problem with my yi action camera last week. I manage to save it without issues (except a dead spare battery) , disensambling the whole thing , rubbing it gently with alcohol (because I didn't have distilled water) to dissolve the salt that got stuck between circuits. After that I thought it was dead because got the same issues you are describing (blinking red light), but turns out it was only the battery, after changing the battery for another everything returned back to normal with no issues whatsoever until now. Hope it can help. Good luck!

Back