YI 4k+ quality issues(or editing software)

pablo.b

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello people,

Another noob here. I bought the yi 4k+ some months ago to make mtb pov videos, of course i saw a lot of reviews on youtube and the quality of the videos seemed really really good but my personal experience has been not that good.
I have filmed in 1080, 2.7k and 4k in both 30 and 60 fps i have played around with the settings. I had a pc(now not anymore) and i customized the bitrate output quality to more than 130Mbps and still... Grainy bad quality video. i dont know what to do anymore. i discovered colour correction about 1 month ago so i apologize beforehand.
I dont know if its my ignorance in editing, the camera or the camera settings. but at this point i am considering selling the camera and buying a gopro hero 5 or hero 5 session. Im giving up idk what to do.
Atm im using a tablet to edit(yes i know...) with power director. i purchased the original version so i can export videos in "Full HD" but the dont even look like 720p... the quality in the editing softwre is set to high. and in the camera also.
Camera settings:
2.7k 60fps
iso max 1600
sharpness low
auto low light off
video quality high
metering average
anti lens distortion off
eis on

coul you give me please some tips??

<<"color corrected sample"
<<same video as above but raw directly from the camera to youtube. quality is "better" but color is awful
another 2.7 k 60 fps sample... this one with iso on auto. you can see how much noise it has

thanks in advance

Pablo

PS: i tried to make the thread the least cancerous i could. pls no h8 bruh

Hi, pablo.b, and welcome to DCT!

There's a whole section of the forum dedicated only to action cameras and inside it, a sub-forum for your camera. You'll probably get help faster there than here. Meanwhile, I'm going to tag the administrator @DashCamMan so that he moves this thread there. :)

First off, nice videos! Looks fun!!

So it's obviously a compression problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact

I blame YouTube. Try watching your final edited video file directly on your tablet. I bet it looks a hello f a lot better than the one on YouTube, right?

You need to take your edited video for YT, and re-encode it at a lower bitrate before uploading to YouTube. Target bitrates can be seen at this link: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

If the edited video before youtube looks just as bad on your tablet as the youtube upload, check the source video files straight from the camera. They should be clearer. This would indicate that the app you are using to edit is doing something that fusses up the quality. I use DaVinci Resolve.

it was youtube and the camera settings. also the editing program but not so much.
so here is a new sample. i watched it on a 50" screen and it looked amazing, no color correction needed, nothing. the secret was limiting the iso to 400 and +0.5 ev.
youtube destroys the quality... i will check the bitrate for future uploads

weird fact. on my gf´s macbook i can only watch 1080p
on my phone i can watch 1440p

thanks for the reply and explanation!!

An free editing program called wondershare filmora has action cam software that converts the 4k/60 video from my Yi4k+ to 1080p viewable on my pc with only a few MB's loss!

it was youtube and the camera settings. also the editing program but not so much.
so here is a new sample. i watched it on a 50" screen and it looked amazing, no color correction needed, nothing. the secret was limiting the iso to 400 and +0.5 ev.
youtube destroys the quality... i will check the bitrate for future uploads

weird fact. on my gf´s macbook i can only watch 1080p
on my phone i can watch 1440p

thanks for the reply and explanation!!
See my post about the free edit program!

Back