Yi Action camera working without battery?

kaloqnk

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello guys,
Is it possible to do some "hack" with autoexec.ash to work a camera only with plugged charger, without battery.
The other thing is...is it possible to use fully functionally the camera on charger plugged in? Now when I plug the charger wifi doesn't stop working and only if you start a video or timelapse you can plug the charger...

Thanks!

Make an autoexec.ash script and insert this line

Code:
t app linux_usb enable

It works.

You'll have to take out the SD card and remove the autoexec.ash script from somwhere else to make the USB work as mass storage again.

Welcome to DCK kaloqnk

Funnel and the rest of the lads are onto the software/firmware so be patient.

Manufacturers think the are smart but hey.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys,
Is it possible to do some "hack" with autoexec.ash to work a camera only with plugged charger, without battery.
The other thing is...is it possible to use fully functionally the camera on charger plugged in? Now when I plug the charger wifi doesn't stop working and only if you start a video or timelapse you can plug the charger...

Thanks!
i use mine without battery using as a power supply a powerbank

Thanks funnel, this works great for me.
But I notice that after about 30 minutes of video recording (1080p S60fps) feel that the camera is very warm. This does not happen when on battery power. Someone you noticed such a problem? Do you think it is dangerous and can overheat?

running ANY mobile device without its battery is dangerous, since the battery acts as a "big capacitor" filtering out power spikes that now have to be handled by power IC. Its not good for the camera at all.

On the Xiaomi app, there is a video showing how to use the Yi as a dashcam. In the video they show removing the battery before connecting it to USB power.

Thanks! I am with Xiaomi and will check it now.

Yes, this camera can work without battery, all your need is:
Be sure, that USB-host have 5V AND 1A output or more.
It does normal work with my xiaomi powerbank on 2A usb-slot
Yyou can even go with wall charger, the only requirement is to be more than 1A.
Also, you can use it with your notebook or so, but be careful, it will NOT WORK WITH USB 2.0 because of "500mA current" limitation
so watch carefully to plug it into USB 3.0\USB3.1 hub, so it will give about 800-1000mA of current.

Back