Yi Action Camera Z23L - A Few Questions: RTSP Server, Triggering Still Images

Ratsima

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
A few months ago I was scuba diving at Koh Bon in the Andaman Sea off Thailand when I found a Yi Action camera (Model: Z23L Firmware: 1.5.12) on the bottom. The SD card had recognizable photos of a few divers so I set about to find the owner and return the camera. No luck.

So, I figured it's now mine. But, what to do with it? I already have a GoPro and the Yi Action has no display, so as a dive camera it's pretty much point and shoot and hope for the best.

I decided to see if I could turn it in to an IP camera that I'd use as a weather cam. I downloaded the WiFi_STA modification that I found on this forum. Beautiful. It worked the first time I booted the camera. I was able to log in via Telnet, start the web server and look around the file system. And, the RTSP server started automatically. I was able to stream to VLC on both my iMac and iPad. And, I was able to extract still images from the RTSP stream using ffmpeg. Just what I wanted.

I've attached a screenshot of VLC displaying the RTSP stream.

Screenshot 2019-08-03 16.26.34.jpg

Unfortunately, I can no longer get the RTSP to start. I can still telnet in, start the web server etc. But, I have no idea what I did the first time to get the streaming server started.
  • How do you start the RTSP server?
  • How do I use telnet to capture a single image? (I've read on this forum that it can be done, but I can't find out how.)
TIA

Back