Yi battery usage with WIFI ON

geeksified

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

I just noticed how WIFI eats battery. After exactly 1 hour of standby mode with WIFI on, it lost 55% battery.
FYI, WIFI wasn't even connected to my phone and I was not even using the camera.
Is this normal?

Yes it is normal - for my two, anyway. 23Ls. I would assume most are this way. Why do you think that's a lot? These batteries are *tiny* !! If I charge today, tomorrow night it will have self-drained from sleep mode to the low voltage cutoff. ~20 hrs without wifi on, about 2.5h with, never timed either exactly, but the point being, it's an action camera. Standby sucks, runtime sucks. Charge it, use it, charge it again. This is the intended usage.

I thought there was something wrong too and went googling, and found a translated post on miui.com (Chinese forum) that was very direct: "If you want a camcorder, buy a camcorder." So, I bought a power tank battery and turned it INTO a camcorder. ;-) (a ~10,000mA battery is <$9usd these days, even a genuine Yiaomi Mi Power Bank battery is only $15.99 give or take, with a USB cable too.) If you're not wiring it to your car via hardwiring or a cigarette lighter->USB power supply, this is definitely the way to go, unless you are a drone flyer and can't afford the weight. (Spare internal batteries are ~$6usd, but given the situation of swapping and using an external charger, the tank battery is still the way to go.)

Back