Yi Cam 2k mic distortion: a script solution?

anthony82

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi, I have an Yi Action Cam 2k (26L) and I think it's awesome, except for the microphone, which distorts a lot.
I opened the cam and the installed microphone is the most recent one, which therefore does not have the rubber that causes a muffled sound, but it is too sensitive and distorts a lot.
I have seen videos in which someone has replaced it with a bigger microphone, but before doing so I would like to know if there is a string to get lower volume / sensitivity with yimax-pro scripts or whatever.
Otherwise, before changing the mic, I will try to insert a potentiometer...

I have trebled the diameter of the mic. hole in case top.I have also temporary glued a trimmed Mic. windscreen to the case top. It reduces wind distortion by about half!
Use exceeding caution pulling the PCB from the case back, the ribbon circuit to shutter button will break almost as easily as looking at it cross-eyed!
Yi doesn't sell ribbon circuits like Gopro parts sellers.

Thank you, for the moment I removed the sticker on the microphone and replaced it with some foam, I have not yet got to try it though...but I do not expect big improvements
My problem is that I often use it to record our concerts. I know that these action cams do not have a good microphone so I do not expect miracles, but I was hoping to get a decent result.
Along with the action cam I use an iPhone 6s, which has a very small microphone, but that does not distort at all.
Do you have any advice on where to buy a good internal microphone? or which specifications must it have?
At the moment I know that it mounts a 9.5mm x 7mm, 2pin mic, but I know that there is space for a bigger microphone (and therefore I hope better), and since they are very cheap I would like to replace it, but I'm willing to spend something more if I know that it's worth it!

My problem is that I often use it to record our concerts.
You can make simple RC filter to eliminate lower frequencies and ofcourse buy a better external microphone, but internal microphone doesn't have problems with loud sounds.

I solved by using an old mic from a nokia mobile phone. Now the sound is lower in volume but really much better in quality and I am now satisfied!

Back