YI Dash cam malfunction

SantaCurtis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a YI dash cam I purchased on Amazon in 2017. It worked great in the first car I installed it. Last year I sold that car and bought another one. I tried installing in this week and the camera will not function with the power cord plugged in. I bring it in the house and charge it (only lasts 7 minutes on a charge). Once I charge it and remove the power cord it it works just fine. As soon as I plug the power cord in I get a message...USB Disk Model. Can anyone help?

It’s like the power cord that comes with the dash cam. Plugs into cigarette lighter.

Is is not the one that came with it. Could that be what is causing the problem? I will see if I can find the one that came with the camera.

jokiin, I found the original power cord. I plugged the power cord in and it started working again. I think you just solved this problem I was having with my YI dash cam. Thank you very much!

jokiin, I found the original power cord. I plugged the power cord in and it started working again. I think you just solved this problem I was having with my YI dash cam. Thank you very much!
your other power source probably has something on data pin 4 that the camera detects and puts it in PC mode

Well...........I thought I had the problem fixed. It seemed to work fine so I put it in my car and went for a ride. After a minute the screen went blank. The yellow light, next to red, was still flashing which I interpreted to mean it was still recording. I stopped and shut the engine down and the screen came back on. Is there something in the settings that needs to be changed? I really like this dash cam so I don’t want to give up and toss it in the trash.

sounds like the screen saver came on, when you turn the car off it likely comes back on during the shutdown process

check and see what was recorded before you go throwing it out

Just kidding. I’m not going to toss it. Is there a way to tun the screen saver off? I never had this happen before

Should be a menu option, that said you shouldn't drive around with the screen on anyway, possibly distracting, potentially illegal depending on your location, but those things aside it generates more heat running with the display on, more heat in a dashcam is never a good thing

Thanks. So what you are saying is it is still recording even though the screen display is off? Screen off while driving is normal?

Thanks. So what you are saying is it is still recording even though the screen display is off? Screen off while driving is normal?
not familiar with this particular model but screen off while driving is a normal function (requirement even) of any decent dashcam, they continue to record

I’ll go with that. Thanks for taking the time to walk me through this process.

Back