Yi Mini Dash Cam (NEW)

Got mine in the post today.
Very nice small camera - looks to be the same internals as the Yi Compact (it even worked in the app with me mistakenly selecting the compact).
I quite like the smaller size, and for some cars it'll work well. Still prefer the Yi Smart, or the Ultra, but for the price, the Mini is a good option to have. :)

You need to specify you're linking through an affiliate link... as per Amazon t&cs....

Techmoan'S review over here...

I've been using one today in my truck.
So far, looks pretty good for a budget cam for some applications. It's use is pretty limited to a more vertical windscreen like in a truck, SUV, van, or pickup.
The lens doesn't adjust down enough for sloped windshields. Will have to see how it does at night. It's stuck up in the windshield next to an A119v2, roughly same size.
Recorded audio seems ok. The wifi app works as well as most of them do, at least on android.

Here's a demonstration of the limited up/down adjustment of the Yi Mini. This is in the windshield of a modern aerodynamic tractor trailer.
The mini is not going to work in most small cars. It's ok for trucks.

Some daytime video, with video from an A119v2 for comparison.

Yi Mini first

And the same video from an A119v2, mounted 2 inches to the left of the Mini.

Last edited:
Audio is 'OK'.

Here's the truck idling at a stop light, car to the left of me is in a straight ahead only lane, but it turns left in front of me. (Horn)

Here's some audio of a construction worker in the road, near my drivers window, with that window partially rolled down, speaking to me. Truck idling, recorded audio is OK. (The recorded audio in situations like this is critical to me, and probably to those who have a dashcam out of fear of evil police. A few new cams I've used lately had really weak recorded audio.)

(He ran out into the road when he noticed the 'flagger' was not where he was supposed to be....stopping traffic!)

Here's a clip just for the entertainment value.....

:)

The shortcomings I see in the Yi mini so far, are the limited adjustment of the lens, no way to turn off the G sensor, (Low/Medium/High), and it doesn't ship with an extra adhesive pad, or preferably a few pads and an extra mounting plate.
The camera is a little hard to put on, and take off of the plate, and I usually trigger a few 'emergency' recordings when I do so.

I've run the Mini for about 7000 miles in a truck, and otherwise it's been reliable. I'll try to get some night video samples. I've got a 64GB card in it. The app is fairly basic, but 'OK'.

For that price it's OK if you have a vehicle with a more upright windshield. (Truck, van, etc) Make sure you trial fit it with screen or app running before you use the one adhesive sticky thing they ship with it, unless you have spare VHB handy.

Back