Yi mirror dashcam

Gozo

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
I have bought a new Yi mirror dashcam, but it doesn't work. I can connect to this device with Yi Dashcam Android application via wi-fi but I cannot format microSD card and this message appears on the touchscreen:

"To optimize the performance of the memory card.
It is recommended that format the micro SD Card."

When I tried to push the OK button on the touchscreen, the equipment does not react anything. When I issued the "Format SD" command on the mobile application this action starts but the result is "Format failed".
The factory reset is working at first sight run when I issued this command on the mobile application, but nothing changes after this action.

I tried four differing micro SD card with FAT32 file system. All of them made by other manufacturers. I used micro SD with 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB capacity, between them the Samsung EVO+ 32GB C10 which is the mainly recommended type for Yi dashcam.
Do you have any idea what do I do?

Welcome to DCT @Gozo :)

Have you tried formatting the cards in a PC or laptop first? (need to avoid using MAC computers as they can install hidden files that can disrupt dashcams). Existing files on them may be the problem. Out of 4 cards at least one should be good but the "h2testw" freeware can conform that, and "sdformatter:" freeware resets sd cards to factory specs. If a card checks OK but you're still having problems contact the seller- you may need to use the warranty.

Phil

Welcome to DCT @Gozo :)

Have you tried formatting the cards in a PC or laptop first? (need to avoid using MAC computers as they can install hidden files that can disrupt dashcams). Existing files on them may be the problem. Out of 4 cards at least one should be good but the "h2testw" freeware can conform that, and "sdformatter:" freeware resets sd cards to factory specs. If a card checks OK but you're still having problems contact the seller- you may need to use the warranty.

Phil

Hi SawMaster,
Yes, I formatted these cards in my PC with Super Partition Magic program. This software the best solution according to my earlier experience.
I think the firmware is damaged.
Has anybody a solution to the firmware upgrade of this dashcam?

Are you sure that the SD card is not a fake. There are far too many out there. Its the first thing to check. Even some "reliable" dealers are unwittingly suppling fakes.

My next piece of advise is only valid if you sort your problem.

You should always format the SD card in the device to ensure compatibility never on a PC as you can not be sure of compatibility. The PC formats SD cards over 128GB in to the SDHC format were as the device requires microSD format. You can find a good SD formatter here SD Association It may help to resurrect the SD Card if faulty. When resurrected, format in the device.

Are you sure that the SD card is not a fake. There are far too many out there. Its the first thing to check. Even some "reliable" dealers are unwittingly suppling fakes.

My next piece of advise is only valid if you sort your problem.

You should always format the SD card in the device to ensure compatibility never on a PC as you can not be sure of compatibility. The PC formats SD cards over 128GB in to the SDHC format were as the device requires microSD format. You can find a good SD formatter here SD Association It may help to resurrect the SD Card if faulty. When resurrected, format in the device.
I tried with 4 MicroSD card. One ofbthem is an original new Samsung EVO 64 GB wihich is the mainly recommended by Yi.
I think the firmware is damaged, because the touch screen doesn't work and I can connect with my mobile phone to the mirror dashcam via official Yi dashcam app, but the dashcam can't format the SD card and can't take photo or video. I can set every other things with the app.
Here is the operation of this dashcam:
Video1
Video2

Looks as if you need to return it as faulty.

Back