Yi Nightscape Focus Issues

BadDriversNH

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a Yi Nightscape dashcam as a birthday present in May and I've been having some issues with video quality, especially focus, even more especially at night. In decently lighted nighttime conditions (i.e. Streetlights, oncoming headlights) the video is a little bit out of focus but not horrendous. When there are lower light levels the camera adjusts completely out of focus and has hot pixels (I think that's what I read for what it's called) around the outer thirds of the video.
I have not found anything on the site here talking about this camera at all, it's my third Yi and I'm low-key disappointed.

Certainly appears that the focus is less than perfect. I don't think there's a difference from day to night as most dash cams are fixed focus, but temperature could have some effect causing component expansion/contraction if it's significantly warmer/colder between day/night.

I don't see any evidence of 'hot pixels' in the video you posted. There are some 'artifacts' in the dark areas outside the area illuminated by your headlights but they appears to be much larger than a single pixel and are likely caused by water droplets on the glass or possibly little chips in the glass.

Edit: I don't know if the Yi comes with any protective film on the lens but if it does check to insure it's been removed and the lens is clean. If the film or any residue is still on the lens that can cause image quality issues.

Last edited:
I don't see any evidence of 'hot pixels' in the video you posted. There are some 'artifacts' in the dark areas outside the area illuminated by your headlights but they appear to be much larger than a single pixel and are likely caused by water droplets on the glass or possibly little chips in the glass.
I just thought it was really weird considering they only appeared whenever the light levels significantly dropped and the video went extremely blurry, along with the fact that the brightness itself even causes issues with how soft the video appears

the brightness itself even causes issues with how soft the video appears
That could also be a matter of the windshield not being clean (outside and inside). Most cars have a film residue on the inside of the glass caused by outgassing of the oils used in the manufacture of plastics and vinyls. Over time these oils 'evaporate' and some of it settles on the inside of glass surfaces. This film can cause some softening of images, especially at night. (Same holds true if anyone smokes in the vehicle. A great deal of the smoking byproducts settle on the glass.)

Give the windshield (in and out) a good cleaning using a non-ammonia based product like Invisible Glass and see if that makes for any improvement.

Do you have a daytime video you can post? Night videos aren't the best for evaluating camera focus. Ideal situation is parked in front of a location with lots of detail, brick wall, etc.

Back