Yikes! I'm confused!!

SeanMM

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll try to keep this short. Done a lot of reading, but I am old, cranky, and am not a big tech guy ("Get off my lawn!" LOL!), and am now overwhelmed by information . . . but I def want a camera, front and rear, bec. of all the lunatics on their phones (witnessed a horrendous crash a couple of weeks ago while at the car wash). I don't need a lot of fancy features, something simple that doesn't outsmart me. I drive an F-150. Money isn't an issue although I'm kind of cheap. I THINK I've narrowed it down to the VIOFO A119 V3 based on my readings. Here are my concerns:

1) does this thing plug into my AC outlet?
2) If so, do I now have a wire hanging down from my rearview mirror?
3) I keep reading about "hardwiring." Electricity? I don't screw around with anything I can't see . . . like love, for instance. ;)
4) I live in SoCal, so interior heat is an issue; can/should I remove the cam once I pull into my driveway (of course, wifey gets the garage)?
5) capacitor battery; is this relevant to me? Cuz the notes said, "batteries not included."
5) Because my ignorance is so profound, what questions should I ask that I'm go ignorant to ask.

Thanks to all in advance.

-Grumpy Sean

Welcome to the forum Sean.

The Viofo come with a means of power that you plug into the 12 V socket in your dash or console, this will give the camera power to record when you drive.
The wire are generally plenty long, so you can route it to a side, up the A pillar ( behind the plastic trim there ) and then back across the windscreen to the middle, at the top excess wire can always be crammed in on top of the headliner, there are usually just a gap between it and the windscreen / roof.
You can find many tutorials on how to install dashcams on youtube, no matter the brand it is generally the same for them all.
Hard wire you only need in 2 cases. A. you want to keep your dash 12 V socket free for other stuff, or B. You want to be able to use parking guard, meaning the camera will record while parked for a set time or until a low voltage limit are hit ( never go below 12.2 volts in low voltage it will damage battery / take off its service life )
Parking guard in SoCal can be a problem in the sun at least, after all all electronics have a MAX temperature, a dashcam will just shut itself off it it get too hot.
BUT ! if you do not use parking guard, the camera will sit there OFF and cook just fine, and come on when you go for a drive, mind you you do NOT want to use one of those things you put in the windscreen to keep the sun out, these generate SO much extra heat in the small gap to the windscreen that a dashcam there might have buttons melt, but if you do not use something like that you should be good.
The internal power source in a dashcam ( capacitors or lipo battery ) are just there to finalize the last recording in case of a violent event where power might get cut, capacitors are more heat tolerant than lipo batteries that night swell up.
Capacitors can also die but it is very rare VS lipo batteries, capacitors are the way to go.

In my case seating up the cameras there are a few default things i change or make sure are selected as my settings.

A. i want to record in 3 minute long segments, there usually are a option for 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 10 minutes.
B. I want to use the best image quality / bitrate, so i always use the highest option often called maximum.
C. I set my time zone to have the time date correct, right now in summer this mean GMT +2 hours for a Dane, but GMT +1 hour outside of summer time. Dashcams like computers and phones can not handle this automatic.
D. i just use 30 FPS video, some cameras can do 60 FPS, but in this case as it is a accident recorder a faster frame rate are not needed, if you was making scenic drive videos it would be different, but then a dashcam would be the wrong tool for that, at least if you want to do it really well.
E. I disable ( if possible ) the G-sensor for when driving, and if OFf are not possible i set it to LOW, the G-sensor will automatic lock what it think are events, but you driving on a road the damn state do not take care off are not really a event.
For the little things in traffic i do want to save i use the manual event button on the camera.
E. i do like to have my speed displayed / watermarked on the footage, as well as the time / date, some also allow for other things like the map coordinates, but my OCD dont like those.
Aside for that there are a option to have the factory name / model in the footage, this can be turned off in the Viofo camera, same go for a custom txt option where you can enter your plate # or something else, just 9 - 10 digits long,,,,,, most done use this and it is off default.

The camera record all the time no matter what, some newbies think they just save actual events, but thats not the case, so with a plenty large memory card, ans here you should at least have 128 GB, you will have many hours on storage, if you drive as little as i do daily it is more like days of footage.
So just press the event button for things you want to be damn sure are not deleted, this lock the current file segment, so in my case that would be a 3 minute file.
It can be a problem if the moment you press the event button are light at the start of a segment or the end, as then you have little from before or after, but this will them be in the regular files, so just dont take too long to retrieve your footage.
IF ! you have had a major event, you will not be driving any more today anyway, so dont turn car completely off to let the camera record any useable after event footage, like the other part lying his ass off to you or maybe police if they are there, it could also be threats ASO flying, so let the door be open or open a window so the microphone have a chance to record things like that, only talk to people near your car if possible, but of course if it is a wreck in the middle of the freeway you want to stay clear of it.

Also buy your camera and memory card at a trusted local seller, so you have some degree of service and support, memory cards are faked or can be fake if you go shopping for the absolutely dirt cheapest card, this will mean the card you think are 128 GB are only 16 GB in size

Also be advised that no dashcam are truly set and forget, so looking over your footage every few months are a good idea, i do this on the PC with the memory card in a card reader, and it take me 15 minutes or so looking over a 256 GB large memory card.
What i look for are primarily the first and last files in drive sessions, and i just play a few seconds of each file, just enough to see where it is, in my case that is where i live - where i do my shopping - my favorite gas station - my friends place - families place.
If you have a first / last file that are in some random place,,,,, well that should warrant further investigation for sure.
Afer that is done, i sample some random files around the card, again just playing a few seconds of the file in this case just to see if the files are playable ( not corrupted )

Last edited:
The file structure on the memory card should look somewhat like this.
structure.jpg

The folder named parking is where files recorded while parked go, i think if you sit idle for long the camera can put footage here, there should be a announcement voice from the camera in that case

Drive sessions are easy to tell apart from the time/date name they are saved as, last files even more so as it will probably be a smaller file size as you most likely do not stop car right as a file are finished.
In my case a stop at the gas station will be easy to see as me stopping there will cut a file short, and then X minutes later i start off again generating 3 minute long files.

As i do use parking guard, as i am stopped the camera will record video to the parking folder, but just for the 1 hour i use on the timer, this cover all my shooing and elsewhere where i park there are my or others CCTV on the car.
I can always up the timer if i like, just take a few clicks in the menu.

Thank you, Kamkar!! What great info! I am copy and pasting all your comments to a doc for further review when I buy my dashcam. (y)(y)(y)

May I make a suggestion? Since you have already decided on the exact manufacturer and model you want, avoid all the aggravation of a DIY installation and just take it to a local dealer to have it installed for you. The entire thing will be done in less than 2 hours and I think you will be plenty satisfied. Many auto after-market shops, in particular the ones that deal with audio installations (also even some chrome wheel installers and the places where they do window tinting, etc.) do this kind of dashcam install work -- especially if they also sell dashcams. If get lucky and find one such after-market place that sells VIOFOs (or even any other dashcam brand), I think you will be 110% satisfied. If you like this route, start by hitting the yellow pages,,,, I mean, by googling for such places in your local area. Best Regards.

If anything just hit me up in here, spend far too much time in here.
If you are hooked on that model, about which i have nothing bad to say even if i have not tested it personally, then look up its own sob forum and see in there what brand / model of memory card it like to play ball with, even if it is my feeling the Viofo cameras are not particular picky about memory cards.

Batteries are a wear item, they will wear out over time and need to be replaced. Capacitors do not wear out. Capacitors have can store much less power than a battery, but they never wear out.

Memory cards are also a wear item, but there is no alternative for them. Be sure to buy a memory card designed to work in a dash cam. It will usually be called a "high endurance" memory card. These will last longer than one that is not designed for dash cam use.

Periodically check the video on the memory card to verify that the dashcam is still working. Far too many dashcams fail silently, giving you a false sense of security. The most likely things to fail on a dash cam in order of most likely first are a battery if it has one, the memory card, the power supply, the power cable, the dashcam itself.

Be sure to actually install it once you buy it! Mine sat for over a year before I actually installed it in my car.

You may wish to review my suggestions in my article on the subject. FYI, I've just decided on the Vantrue X4S Duo. Looks like what you want in hot environs.

I really don't know any shortcut to slowly following the setup directions on the device's screen. Take it easy and you should have no problem.

Back