You Don't Often See a 1980s Group B WRC Car on the Public Road

Still plenty of those about, they are never allowed to die since there aren't many other road legal cars that can accelerate as fast as they can brake, but they are not really usable as an everyday road car or even a weekend car (you have to wear the intercom to protect your ears and be able to talk to your passengers) so they don't get worn out: http://www.6r4.net/site/6r4-information

Dashcam footage - what they were designed for:

The 6R4 the last british car i ever wanted ;) okay thats not quite true cuz i want a atom V8 too

PS the driver in that Finnish car is proberly just 14 years old, his driving sure is on the wery limit and a bit past that at times :)

Bring back group B rally cars,,,,,,,,, NOW !

I see a lot of Subaru cars who think they are world class rally cars though. Some Mitsubishi evo too.

PS the driver in that Finnish car is proberly just 14 years old, his driving sure is on the wery limit and a bit past that at times :)
Yes, but all the real dashcam footage from when they were driven really fast was recorded with vacuum tube cameras and is rubbish, this footage gives a much better idea of what it is like to be in the car. There should be good modern rally footage since they are still often raced but I didn't find any on a quick search and the drivers take a lot more care of them these days anyway.

I see a lot of Subaru cars who think they are world class rally cars though. Some Mitsubishi evo too.
Even the fastest Mitsubishi Evos take well over 1 second longer to reach 100kph than the MG 6R4.

That's one of the scariest rally clips I've seen in a while. The driver did well to keep it between the trees, however driver skill was supplemented by luck, as there's a couple of instances where he should have gone off, but held on by the skin of his teeth.

i see a lot of base model fwd mitsubishi lancers who think they're also rally cars, so they bolt on huge wings, loud exhaust, lower it and sticker it up... but still take 5 years to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph. i loved to mess with those guys in my boring beige camry, especially at highway speeds. :D nothing will crush your morale like getting left in the dust by a grocery getter. now with my fire-engine-red tacoma x-runner, they kinda expect it to be quick so they don't bother trying.

Still plenty of those about, they are never allowed to die since there aren't many other road legal cars that can accelerate as fast as they can brake, but they are not really usable as an everyday road car or even a weekend car (you have to wear the intercom to protect your ears and be able to talk to your passengers) so they don't get worn out: http://www.6r4.net/site/6r4-information

Is it dirt 2 video game ? Look exactly like the game I used to play.

That's one of the scariest rally clips I've seen in a while....
The real thing was even scarier:

Thanks to Kris Meeke (Current WRC rally driver), I found some footage of a real one driven by a real rally driver - Kris Meeke:

And his memories along with some from Tony Pond about how the wings were essential and doing 0-60 in 2.8 seconds.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/racing-history/great-rally-cars-1986-mg-metro-6r4/

They don't make 10,000rpm engines any more, everything has gone turbo with a boring soundtrack.

The 6R4 and many of the other group B cars did really well in relly cross too, but it was so much better seeing them fly on the streets.

Group B should never have been banned, but stupid rally spectators should be banned thats for sure.

I still think the ari vatanen attack on pikes peak is one of the best ever onbord videos

Too bad the Americans have now paved all of that sucker :(

Ari can take me driving any day of the week, but i might scream like a little girl, and i will need some one at the finish line with a bucket of icewater to trow in my lap.

Last edited:
Group B should never have been banned, but stupid rally spectators should be banned thats for sure.
They would have had to be banned within a year or two anyway, just think how fast they would be by now if nothing had been done?

Actually, you don't need to think, the engineer behind the MG 6R4 is now in charge of developing another British car, but this time instead of taking 2.8 seconds to get to just 60mph, it is going to cover a whole mile (1.6km) in 3.6 seconds! This time his engine has over 135,000 bhp :eek: 0-1000 mph in 55 seconds: http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/project/car

Last edited:
Speaking of Pike's peak, here's a video of a guy who races with us here in Houston, running Pike's peak. Another Houston racer put this video together - I guess kenzie edits videos for a living based on the quality. That's the driver (Yuri) in the goofy sombrero, which you can also see under his oxygen bottle in the back of the car.

hehe yeah they are upwards of 500 bhp :eek:

Now if i won the lottery i will not be getting me a fancy Italian sports car, but i might get myself a Audi S1 in full rally trim and with the engine tweaked to 1000 BHP

Back