You know what would be nice? A dash camera system that plugs into an SSD.

NKato

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean seriously. If I were to consider a professional-grade dash camera, it would need to be able to be plugged into an SSD of any capacity (even up to 2TB of storage).

Currently, Panasonic produces the majority of dash cameras for the police, which has external physical storage features. It would be interesting if we had something like an Viofo A129 Pro or BlackVue DR900S that plugged into an external hard drive. Of course, operating an SSD outside of a computer will require its own case, power supply hookup, et cetera, but all of these can be obtained using off-the-shelf hardware. It literally could not cost more than $100 (not counting the SSD) to throw together a solution that works.

Having something like this available as an option should encourage dashcam manufacturers to design their cameras with proper data hookups, and not rely on wi-fi or bluetooth (which is a serious design failure on the BlackVues). It would definitely be a game-changer for the dashcam market, since there are some seriously insanely high-endurance SSD's out there on the market that would be a far more economical choice than an SD card if you have your dash cam on 24/7.

Don't think your battery is going to last long in parking mode!

I couldn't agree more. My vehicle has a built-in dash cam which relies on an external USB drive for storage. Using a high quality USB adapter + high quality microSD card just wasn't good enough. Switching to SSD made a big difference.

SSDs enclosures have come down in price significantly.

The Samsung T5 Portable SSD is a favorite.

Last edited:
Would be nice for some folks, but most dashcam users seem to be happy enough with the storage times we have now. From what the non-enthusiasts say I'd venture a guess that there are as many people using 16GB or 32GB cards as all the others combined. Consumer-grade SSD-equipped dashcams will come in the future I'm sure but I'm not betting on when.

Phil

Would be nice for some folks, but most dashcam users seem to be happy enough with the storage times we have now. From what the non-enthusiasts say I'd venture a guess that there are as many people using 16GB or 32GB cards as all the others combined. Consumer-grade SSD-equipped dashcams will come in the future I'm sure but I'm not betting on when.

Phil

I think having dashcams be compatible with regular SSD's can also come with another benefit: You don't have to futz around as much with the codec, and go full ham as much as you believe is necessary, to ensure crystal clear clarity. It would also have the added benefit of reducing the amount of heat stress the dash cameras go through due to the intensive encoding (relaxed encoding tends to go faster).

I have argued for larger + cheaper solid state storage for a long time, but really it only make sense if it is paired with some kind of smarts, so when you plug your thumb drive onto the thing, you only backup the new stuff on the thing, and it better be transferring fast ( USB 3.1 speeds at least, but i would like to see the new USB 4 too )
I am sort of okay with the little memory cards too, my biggest gripe outside of the price on the large ones are the fear of loosing one of those little spring loaded SOBs, cuz many of us old guys have tried one or more time to have a little card eject on us, and for some it have meant they had to say bye - bye to that card.
Also these large drives only make sense with large resolution and / or multiple cameras ( 3-4 channel systems )

Also these large drives only make sense with large resolution and / or multiple cameras ( 3-4 channel systems )
A couple more years and even the reasonable priced microSD/UFS cards will have enough storage for a 4K front + FHD rear + FHD interior camera.

Somebody should invent a card extraction tool that transfers the card from the safety of the camera to the safety of the tool, then they can make the cards even smaller!

Maybe the first step should be to start using USB interface instead of micro SD. Users can then chose whatever capacity or media they want to use.

Maybe the first step should be to start using USB interface instead of micro SD. Users can then chose whatever capacity or media they want to use.

I think that may be problematic as it opens up potential problems. User selected media can introduce compatibility issues that are beyond the control of the dash cam manufacturer. I think @jokiin spoke to this the last time this suggestion came up.

I think that may be problematic as it opens up potential problems. User selected media can introduce compatibility issues that are beyond the control of the dash cam manufacturer. I think @jokiin spoke to this the last time this suggestion came up.

Way I see it, if SSD's have the same interface (power and data connections), and can be formatted to a specific format (NTFS/FAT), it should be workable. The issue is having a controller that will serve as an effective intermediary between the Dashcam and the SSD. For computers, this is usually contained in the external drive case.

Way I see it, if SSD's have the same interface (power and data connections), and can be formatted to a specific format (NTFS/FAT), it should be workable. The issue is having a controller that will serve as an effective intermediary between the Dashcam and the SSD. For computers, this is usually contained in the external drive case.

Do you have professional expertise that causes you to "see it that way"? As it stands now, some dash cams only work with certain microSD cards and not others. There's more to it than formatting unfortunately. Random user SSDs would potentiallly open up a can of compatibility worms and it is not even clear if the chipsets currently used in dash cams can offer a suitable interface for hard drives.

Don't get me wrong, I've personally advocated for the eventual introduction of small SSDs for use on dash cams on multiple occasions including as recently as two weeks ago but it's just not that simple (yet). For the time being I'll trust the judgement and opinions of an experienced manufacturer like @jokiin.

Do you have professional expertise that causes you to "see it that way"? As it stands now, some dash cams only work with certain microSD cards and not others. There's more to it than formatting unfortunately. Random user SSDs would potentiallly open up a can of compatibility worms and it is not even clear if the chipsets currently used in dash cams can offer a suitable interface for hard drives.

Don't get me wrong, I've personally advocated for the eventual introduction of small SSDs for use on dash cams on multiple occasions including as recently as two weeks ago but it's just not that simple (yet). For the time being I'll trust the judgement and opinions of an experienced manufacturer like @jokiin.

I. Build. Computers. The only literal difference between an SD and SSD is the interface and format support. SanDisk **** the bed on the format support. Moreover, it is possible to consider building a separate accessory to the dash cam that contains all the required hardware for receiving the footage from the camera and storing it to an SSD. A mini-computer, if you will. This approach would be different from traditional dash cameras, where they contain all the processing functions.

Basically, this approach would allow the dash camera to be even smaller (similar in size to rear-view cameras), run the wire over to the computer-box, and you're set. This is actually the approach more professional-grade dash cameras use. Except, in our context, it can be done using consumer-grade hardware. I mean, you know how we have optional webcams for our computers, right? Similar principle.

If the dashcam designers out there would consider this approach, I think it would also help with security as well -- make it so that we can take the computer box for the dash cam with us (easy disconnect) when the vehicle is parked unattended in the garage or otherwise secured by different means. I do not see dash cameras as an effective anti-theft measure anyway.

TL;DR It's basically a DVR box connected to low-profile dash cameras.

I. Build. Computers. The only literal difference between an SD and SSD is the interface and format support. SanDisk **** the bed on the format support. Moreover, it is possible to consider building a separate accessory to the dash cam that contains all the required hardware for receiving the footage from the camera and storing it to an SSD. A mini-computer, if you will. This approach would be different from traditional dash cameras, where they contain all the processing functions.

Basically, this approach would allow the dash camera to be even smaller (similar in size to rear-view cameras), run the wire over to the computer-box, and you're set. This is actually the approach more professional-grade dash cameras use. Except, in our context, it can be done using consumer-grade hardware. I mean, you know how we have optional webcams for our computers, right? Similar principle.

If the dashcam designers out there would consider this approach, I think it would also help with security as well -- make it so that we can take the computer box for the dash cam with us (easy disconnect) when the vehicle is parked unattended in the garage or otherwise secured by different means. I do not see dash cameras as an effective anti-theft measure anyway.

TL;DR It's basically a DVR box connected to low-profile dash cameras.

One day we may see what you are describing but for now it is wishful thinking. For one thing, such a scheme would add a significant cost factor for "a separate accessory to the dash cam that contains all the required hardware for receiving the footage from the camera and storing it to an SSD"). Also, as mentioned previously, the current SoC chipsets available for dash cams don't have the required interface for what you are describing. I'd love to see it though and hopefully one day we will, but what you are describing would require a large investment and the resources of one of the manufacturers of the processors that power our dash cams such as Novatek, Ambarella, iCatch, Zoran, Allwinner, etc. No individual dash camera manufacturer has the capability or resources to manufacture their own chipsets so they are beholden to the specialized SoC industry and have to work with what is currently available until such time as something new comes along. You may have experience building computers but dash cams are not "computers" in the traditional sense, they are purpose dedicated SoCs which is a different animal. A DVD player is basically a "computer" built using purpose built SoC functionality but like dash cams, as such they can only do what they are currently built to do and nothing more. So, even if you do "build computers" I doubt that you design and build the microprocessors that power them.

In six years on DCT I've witnessed countless members with no practical experience in the dash cam industry demanding certain design features and functionality that just are not practical or doable and this feels like yet another example.

As @jokiin remarked earlier on this topic, "right now it's not viable from a technical standpoint, in the future who knows". And as I commented earlier, I'll trust his experience and expertise as one of the more knowledgeable industry insiders posting to this forum. He's one of the very few here who can provide a definitive answer about what is and what is not achievable at this point in time.

Last edited:
One day we may see what you are describing but for now it is wishful thinking. For one thing, such a scheme would add a significant cost factor for "a separate accessory to the dash cam that contains all the required hardware for receiving the footage from the camera and storing it to an SSD"). Also, as mentioned previously, the current SoC chipsets available for dash cams don't have the required interface for what you are describing. I'd love to see it though and hopefully one day we will, but what you are describing would require a large investment and the resources of one of the manufacturers of the processors that power our dash cams such as Novatek, Ambarella, iCatch, Zoran, Allwinner, etc. No individual dash camera manufacturer has the capability or resources to manufacture their own chipsets so they are beholden to the specialized SoC industry and have to work with what is currently available until such time as something new comes along. You may have experience building computers but dash cams are not "computers" in the traditional sense, they are purpose dedicated SoCs which is a different animal. A DVD player is basically a "computer" built using purpose built SoC functionality but like dash cams, as such they can only do what they are currently built to do and nothing more. So, even if you do "build computers" I doubt that you design and build the microprocessors that power them.

In six years on DCT I've witnessed countless members with no practical experience in the dash cam industry demanding certain design features and functionality that just are not practical or doable and this feels like yet another example.

As @jokiin remarked earlier on this topic, "right now it's not viable from a technical standpoint, in the future who knows". And as I commented earlier, I'll trust his experience and expertise as one of the more knowledgeable industry insiders posting to this forum. He's one of the very few here who can provide a definitive answer about what is and what is not achievable at this point in time.

Then explain this product to me: https://info.panasonic.com/arbitrator-arb360hd.html

Explain to me why we can't have a more consumerist version of this.

Then explain this product to me: https://info.panasonic.com/arbitrator-arb360hd.html

Explain to me why we can't have a more consumerist version of this.

Because the cost would be prohibitive, even by high end consumer dash cam standards. Panasonic's surveillance products cost thousands and thousands of dollars and they have the resources to design and build their own microprocessors and sensors unlike any typical dash cam manufacturer. The basic Arbitrator 360 alone with a single camera with no accessories or SSD drives costs almost 4 grand!

For now it's still wishful thinking. But yes, one day I think we will eventually see something similar in the consumer realm. (Not from Panasonic though, they tend to focus on proprietary high end surveillance stuff.)

Last edited:
Someone will probably try and condense that down to where a consumer or prosumer can pay the bill, but it will be a while before this are a successful thing selling in numbers where you can see the regular people pitching in.
But that panasonic kit, thats only something people that got "money for free" ( tax money ) can justify the investment.

Back