You know what would be nice? A dash camera system that plugs into an SSD.

most dash cams have a video out port, can't you plug a mini dvr into that ?

From my long time experience with dash cams, it seems fewer and fewer of them have an AV out port nowadays. Nevertheless, even with an AV out port most ones that I've ever seen have an analogue low resolution output that wouldn't work well with a DVR. Years ago, my very first dash cam, a Chinese generic had a mini HDMI output and that might work. I'm not sure which, if any cameras have that now.

Last edited:
Nevertheless, even with an AV out port most ones that I've ever seen have an analogue low resolution output that wouldn't work well with a DVR.
It would be perfect for a VHS video cassette recorder :)

A SSD support more / better error correction features ASO VS a memory card, also i think price / GB is better, and a SSD will support encryption, an d have MUCH faster read / write speeds ( even on a cheap SSD )
Encryption are regularly requested as a feature, not least from people afraid of recording incriminating evidence against them self.
I would also assume a SSD made up of more memory chips will have better life time than a memory card made up of 1 memory chip

A SSD would allow for much higher bitrates and so higher resolution's and image quality, this would be very useful if you use the camera in your track day car, but even for regular driving, if low light performance allowed for it, or there was a automatic change in between 2 modes of FPS, i would like to record say 120 FPS ( 4K ) footage in the daytime at least, that would allow me to make splendid slow motion videos of idiot drivers i could share.
In general to liability protection 120 FPS would not be much useful 30 FPS would be fine here, 120 FPS would also be good you you like to make scenic drive videos from your daahcam footage, CUZ then you want all the bitrate and detail / image quality you can use + FPS to make the resulting footage really enjoyable to view.
Even if i do think you should speed up scenic drive videos or at least most of it, as no one like to sit on youtube and watch your 4 hour drive in 1:1 speed.

BUT ! wits SSD or NVMA storage i would need a fast and "smart" way of backing up or taking footage from the devise to my computer, this could be very fast wifi or maybe a thumb drive as the transport media.
I am inclined to say thumb drive as i am a avid wifi hater,,,, BUT ! i could turn that poop on for a quick DL of footage from my dashcam, and then turn it off on my router again.

Back