Your feedback please on my dashcam install

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3/v2/v1
Hi everyone, been a while for me since I've lurked here on the forums but I'm back again with a new vehicle and new install. Your thoughts and feedback please on what I have done.

Vehicle is a Kia Cerato sedan and I have wired up the front dashcam as a Viofo A119, running through a ZMI QB823 powerbank. I've taken the front pillar trim off and run the miniUSB cable so that it is neatly hidden, but due to the curved shape of the bottom of the centre console, I can't stick the powerbank on there. Therefore the powerbank is resting under the far edge of the front passenger footwell carpet, as shown in the photo below (have stuck it on with 3M Command strips). Of course, whoever is riding in the front with me has to be careful so that they do not step on it, whenever they sit inside the car. Not the most practical idea, but I'm out of ideas where to mount it, as I want the powerbank to avoid the hot Australian summer heat.

As it is a 20,000maH powerbank and charges in about three hours using 45W charging, I'm thinking of getting a 45W car charger and running it through using pass-through charging, so that I never have to take the powerbank off to charge it inside the house.

IMG_20200808_145315.jpg

unlikely the power bank supports true pass through charging (pass through is not mentioned in the spec), can be problematic/dangerous to run power banks like that

unlikely the power bank supports true pass through charging (pass through is not mentioned in the spec), can be problematic/dangerous to run power banks like that

Thanks mate, found here on their website that this model supports pass-through but I'm guessing some caveats do apply in regards to safety.

Also thinking of getting something like what Otterbox does with shockproof phone cases, to protect the power bank a bit. Since when driving going over speed bumps and things like that.

First article Second article

Last edited:
You are likely to have issues with this bit:
4) Most of our PowerPack's do not work as an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS). During the pass-through setup, if the AC power is cut, there will be a momentary loss of power on the output port of the PowerPack. That split-second loss of power is enough to cause a device without a built-in battery to reset.

If you are looking for a power bank that supports UPS and pass-through charging, take a look at the PowerPack Ambi.

The glitches in power as powerbanks switch their output from battery to charge power and back often upset dashcams, maybe reset them resulting in a temporary loss of recording, maybe just turn them off completely. The A119 V3 does quite well but still no guarantee that it wont end up not recording.

Powerbanks with UPS support (Uninterruptible Power Supply) solve the problems. Alternatively the Viofo HK3 hardwire kit directly to the car battery is generally a better option, especially if you have an AGM car battery. Then you can also use the camera's parking timer to avoid heavy discharge of the battery.

The limitations make sense, PD input, USB slow charge output

Hopefully, my plan is that when my car fast charger arrives, will hook that up to the USB-C port on the powerrbank to charge it via passthrough. Only will charge it when I'm driving the car as turning off the ignition will cut off the 45W charge. So that's about an hour a day at most.

You are likely to have issues with this bit:

The glitches in power as powerbanks switch their output from battery to charge power and back often upset dashcams, maybe reset them resulting in a temporary loss of recording, maybe just turn them off completely. The A119 V3 does quite well but still no guarantee that it wont end up not recording.

Powerbanks with UPS support (Uninterruptible Power Supply) solve the problems. Alternatively the Viofo HK3 hardwire kit directly to the car battery is generally a better option, especially if you have an AGM car battery. Then you can also use the camera's parking timer to avoid heavy discharge of the battery.

Thank you and some very good suggestions there, can't hardwire it without costing me an arm and a leg because it's a brand new car and will void warranty (I've checked). So only option was to go B-124 or Cellink Neo (both way out of my budget), or go powerbank.

just monitor the camera when you stop or start the car, as Nigel mentioned the brief power cut when it changes in and out of pass through mode could mean the camera will go into shutdown mode

just monitor the camera when you stop or start the car, as Nigel mentioned the brief power cut when it changes in and out of pass through mode could mean the camera will go into shutdown mode
Fair call, will do. Will have to research what the difference in parking mode between a119, V2 and V3 are. And if they help ..

45W charge. So that's about an hour a day at most.
45Wh is almost enough to keep the A129 running 24 hours, and you only need 23 hours... let us know how well it works, there have not been many people using USB PD powerbanks with high charge rate like this so far, but a good powerbank should be able to do it.

One thing to note is that the powerbank should not be charged below freezing, and most do not have a built in low temperature cutout, so for people who live in a different part of the world, this could be a serious safety issue.

Will have to research what the difference in parking mode between a119, V2 and V3 are.
Not too sure on the power side, but the V3 does delay shutdown for longer than most dashcams so has a better chance of surviving the switching time, many powerbanks take a second or two to do the switch from battery power to charging power for the passthrough.

Some powerbanks will also power down and not actually supply power to the dashcam unless you reconnect the cable after plugging in the charging power!

your dealer is having a lend, they fit aftermarket dashcams in Kia's in Sydney at the dealerships
Not saying you're wrong but I was under the impression they won't cover it under warranty if you hardwire it yourself etc.

Not saying you're wrong but I was under the impression they won't cover it under warranty if you hardwire it yourself etc.
use fuse taps to connect to the fuse panel, it's the same method used by the installers that do the dealership work, common sense required also, ie; don't connect to circuits for any safety related systems, SRS, ECU etc

45Wh is almost enough to keep the A129 running 24 hours, and you only need 23 hours... let us know how well it works, there have not been many people using USB PD powerbanks with high charge rate like this so far, but a good powerbank should be able to do it.

One thing to note is that the powerbank should not be charged below freezing, and most do not have a built in low temperature cutout, so for people who live in a different part of the world, this could be a serious safety issue.
Will do mate thanks for your help :), I live in Australia so we hardly ever get below 2 degrees Celsius here in Perth and most of the time goes 4-5 degrees Celsius. We get to 42/44 Celsius in summer so yeah that will be what 50/55 in the car on a hot summers day

use fuse taps to connect to the fuse panel, it's the same method used by the installers that do the dealership work, common sense required also, ie; don't connect to circuits for any safety related systems, SRS, ECU etc
Beyond my knowledge so far but if this power bank thing doesn't work out, then I'll give the hardwire a good shot

Will do mate thanks for your help :), I live in Australia so we hardly ever get below 2 degrees Celsius here in Perth and most of the time goes 4-5 degrees Celsius. We get to 42/44 Celsius in summer so yeah that will be what 50/55 in the car on a hot summers day
That is an OK range, as long as you don't leave it sitting in the sun!

In this country the warranty has legal protection, they would have to show that your modification contributed to any problem before they could even reduce a claim. If the powerbank works for you then it is a decent solution though, using the car battery will wear it out faster than normal so both approaches have a cost.

Back