Your Recommendation - Replacing Mini 0806

DSK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background

I am used to the quality of the likes of the various DOD models such as the 300/430 and also the Nextbase models based on these. The picture quality is class leading in my experience and despite using them for a number of years, covering 1,000 miles a week, I have had no quality/reliability issues.

I was using a Mini 0801/0805 and 0806 in the rear due to its good picture quality, sensible view angle and discreet size. However, I have had nothing but reliability issues with a number of the camera's from the Mini series. I am now temporarily running a Nextbase 402 (aka DOD LS430W) in the rear. However it is too obvious and I need a reliable replacement to use as the rear camera with good quality and some discretion.

Essential Requirements

• sticky mount
  • camera unit must be detachable (I cannot leave it in the car overnight)
  • discreet profile (e.g slim cylinder design like blackvue and mini series)
Preferred Features

• f1.6 / f1.8 aperture
  • capacitor
  • WDR/HDR to handle chaning lighting conditions
  • Reliable
  • No more than 140 degre viewing angle
I appreciate the the following on my short list may not have all the preferred features but they seem to have a reliable reputation with decent picture quality. On my short list currently are the following;

- Mobius
- JooVuu X (concerning aftersales support/care reviews are stopping me from buying)
- Viofo A119 (shame about the 160 degree fixed lens)
- Lukas Qvia T790 (very expensive, doubt the picture quality justifies the high price)
- RoadHawk Vision
- Blackvue 3500/430 /450 (not sold on picture but viewing angle and reliability seem good)

Any other recommendations or comments on the above units as I'm hoping to buy one ideally within a week after researching the above and any others as much as possible?

With thanks.

The lenses on all dashcams are all wide, but you have to take the numbers given with a grain os salt, cuz some list the diagonal FOV and other list the horizontal FOV.

The lenses on all dashcams are all wide, but you have to take the numbers given with a grain os salt, cuz some list the diagonal FOV and other list the horizontal FOV.

and some list lens specs instead of actual "footprint" to CMOS.

Thanks for pointing that out guys.

FYI as this unit is dedicated as a stand alone rear camera, I did some hunting around and for the price, warranty and reliability, along with the discreet design and size, I have just bought the THINKWARE F50.

Whilst its got a reasonable specification, the reliability reviews, price, FOV, ease of removal and fitment on a daily basis seemed worth it over others in my list above.

I am also ordering the JooVuu X next week to try out. Hopefully these will be sufficient until someone like DOD makes some whopping cylinder dash cams.

There is a lot of interesting things coming in the next 6 months or so.

That F50 should be good to you, and when you upgrade you can always give it to a friend or loved one.

Back