Your Thoughts about Showing Dash Cam Footage at Accident Scene

So the Govt lecturing us on why the 2-3 buffer was dropped "That speed is the limit - it is not appropriate to have a buffer" actually signs off on a manufacturing standard of +- 10%.
Here, that problem is solved simply by removing the '-'.
So the speedometer always has to over-read by some amount, I'm surprised yours isn't the same.

Hmmm , Mine is spot on !

The quoted US spec may be old. I'm given to understand that with newer cars here the speedometer may never read slower than the car is going.

Phil

Good point. I think I saw somewhere that the 900S has that feature - must chase that up.
But I have used a 3790Nuvi Garmin GPS in the 1998 Ford for many years with the Ford Cruise Control.
Great results. Dropouts in the tunnels though.

For speed i use the Waze like local app ( speed traps ) on my phone, i normally have that on for longer drives, not cuz i speed on purpose, but i have no problem drifting both up and down in speed when i drive.
So +10 or -10 km/h are no problem to do some times, which can be problematic as i do my best to be right on the sped limit.

Good example in my latest upload, i don't know why but right here on this 80km/h road i often speed a little, and at first i taught it was due to the road slope a little, but that's not it cuz i tend to speed here in both directions if i am not careful.

BUT ! i dont want any speed warning bing or bongs, i just need to get my head out of my ass and pay attention,,,,,, and it have also gotten better on that stretch or road, but still room for improvements.

The quoted US spec may be old. I'm given to understand that with newer cars here the speedometer may never read slower than the car is going.

Phil
It is old - 2005.
But the legislation might be current and thus still enforceable.
Never underestimate the stupidity of bureaucracy.
I mentioned it to illustrate the disconnect of holding the motorist to a standard or speed limit yet knowingly not provide the motorist with the instrumentation to do so.

On a similar note, I recently struggled with the question of whether to video the inside of the car or not. It affected my purchase decision. ...

Assuming you're not a cab or Uber driver (who I think should always video the passenger cabin), the only advantage to recording your passengers is that a lawyer can show the dramatic footage of them being thrown around the car to the court when some moron hits you. It may sway the jury in your favor, especially if there's lots of blood involved.

There is one other advantage to recording the vehicle interior: in case you are wrongly accused of breaking the law. Here's a video of a cop wrongly thinking the driver wasn't wearing his seatbelt. She was ready to ticket him until he showed her the dashcam footage.

The downside is that the camera also records the driver doing things that could be used to "prove" distraction on the driver's part such as fiddling with the radio, smoking a cigarette or vaping, playing air drums while singing to the music, turning around to yell at the kids, eating a sandwich, drinking a coffee, picking a nose, putting on makeup, glancing at the phone or GPS, or whatever.

In balance, I think the chances of these quite ordinary activities being used as evidence of distraction outweigh the [reasons to have an interior camera].

It's a delicate balance:
  • If the driver and passengers are scrupulous about avoiding driver distractions, speeding, etc, then an interior camera is probably wise, even for non-rideshare drivers.
  • Otherwise, probably best not to have a cabin camera.

Back