Yupiteru DRY-FH31 (japanese cam)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the original Yupiteru DRY-FH31 sample video file. First I was curious about your editing problems. I don't have Premiere, but the old free VirtualDub which is great for simple edit the avis.

The problem with the AVI created by this camera I found on another Novatek chipset camera and is about not standard AVI files. If you want just to cut and direct stream copy (no reencoding) some part of the video, the image will be black.
I understood this is because the information about the video are contained only in the first frame of the recording video file.
So if you want to just simple cut or join this type of avi you always must to reencode it (which will affect the image quality a little even if using good encoding options).

For me the simple solution if I want just to have few parts from the recording which is at the original quality is to use the free and great MKVMergeGUI to create a MKV file.
For example here I want just the video from second 25 to second 45 (but no precise frame cutting, just seconds).

This is the result obtained in few seconds of work from me and is playable. If I want to do the same thing using Direct Stream Copy of VirtualDubMod, the video image is black or containing big error macroblocks.

Yupteru should offer MP4 or MOV container instead of AVI and increase the bitrate to 7500kbs. Actual 6500kbps is OK but not enough.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• MKVMergeGUI.jpg
    MKVMergeGUI.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 72
Mtz said:
The problem with the AVI created by this camera I found on another Novatek chipset camera and is about not standard AVI files. If you want just to cut and direct stream copy (no reencoding) some part of the video, the image will be black.

I understood this is because the information about the video are contained only in the first frame of the recording video file.

So if you want to just simple cut or join this type of avi you always must to reencode it
Yupteru should offer MP4 or MOV container instead of AVI and increase the bitrate to 7500kbs. Actual 6500kbps is OK but not enough.

Thanks Mtz, its useful info. I appreciate your help.
I used 'Handbrake' to re-encode to MP4 & then editing was no problem. There was a bit of quality loss, but not much.
Handbrake has a batch process option, & each 270MB (5min) clip takes 2 mins to re-encode on my computer. Thats fine really, I just set up a workflow when I import from the cam & have a coffee while I wait.
Its an inconvenience of course, but I wont be editing this footage often - just on the occasion of meteor strikes etc (ha ha)

I worked out all the camera menu options now too. Although its all japanese, its all pretty simple - you can mostly guess by the icon.

I didn't upload any night footage yet. I will try & remember to do that this week.
& unless there are any specific topic requests, I guess I can say Thanks! for everyones advice :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Dash Cam Discussion 2
U Dash Cam Discussion 5
Back