Zenfox T3 recived

I cant quite relate to that cascade effect of one camera stopping after another, i have had files missing and as i recall always the rear one, which if no wonder if my cable have been dodgy.
Since i replaced the cable i have had no issues at all, but i will of course keep my eye out for this, which are also easy to see as a break in the order of files.

The sunny weather seen to be fading here, my town actually been cloudy most of the day and only on the other side of the weekend do it seem to clear up though no full days of sunshine are forecast at the moment.

I cant quite relate to that cascade effect of one camera stopping after another, i have had files missing and as i recall always the rear one, which if no wonder if my cable have been dodgy.
Since i replaced the cable i have had no issues at all, but i will of course keep my eye out for this, which are also easy to see as a break in the order of files.

The sunny weather seen to be fading here, my town actually been cloudy most of the day and only on the other side of the weekend do it seem to clear up though no full days of sunshine are forecast at the moment.
When I installed the Zenfox and got to the point of installing the rear camera next to the Viofo's unit, that gave me the opportunity to compare both of the cables since they are so close to each other at that point. Not only the Zenfox cable is a bit thinner compared to Viofo's cable but it is also a bit longer. I wonder if the rear camera is getting adequate power. But then what explains the Interior camera to stop recording as well?

I recall another cam or two having issues because of rear cam cable problems. Maybe a redesigned rear cable is in order? If @kamkar1 sees an end to the problem when using the SG cable that would point very strongly this way (y) If anyone can try that too it would make the knowledge more certain ;)

Just wondering aloud if the cam's programming is 'tiered' to handle files in a certain order? Like front 1st, rear 2nd, interior 3rd. If that were the situation, then a problem with the rear cam saving and closing files might keep the interior cam from completing it's data-write correctly. Especially is the 3rd file-save sequence began with the 2nd file being closed properly.

IIRC those other "bad cable" instances sometimes had data-write problem until the cable was upgraded or unplugged. I'm guessing this might also be what's causing the current NB 522 issues as well. Are those on NT chips as well?

Phil

Yes rear camera cable are thinner, at least compared to the SG wire i have replaced it with.
Everything work perfect here now, i hope it stay that way so i can focus on the footage more.

I seem to be driving a lot lately, and with the people i know ( thankfully not a lot ) all pulling in me to help them with stuff, i see even more driving in my future.
The long time prognosis from the weather gurus say that the full blown summer will start in mid July, and probably carry thru into August.

I recall another cam or two having issues because of rear cam cable problems. Maybe a redesigned rear cable is in order? If @kamkar1 sees an end to the problem when using the SG cable that would point very strongly this way (y) If anyone can try that too it would make the knowledge more certain ;)

Just wondering aloud if the cam's programming is 'tiered' to handle files in a certain order? Like front 1st, rear 2nd, interior 3rd. If that were the situation, then a problem with the rear cam saving and closing files might keep the interior cam from completing it's data-write correctly. Especially is the 3rd file-save sequence began with the 2nd file being closed properly.

IIRC those other "bad cable" instances sometimes had data-write problem until the cable was upgraded or unplugged. I'm guessing this might also be what's causing the current NB 522 issues as well. Are those on NT chips as well?

Phil
Sadly I don't have more cameras where I can rob a cable from it to replace and do more testing to help determine there is a power issue. I'm not willing to mess with the viofo one because I feel like I could compromise that system and end up with no reliable coverage at all in case of an unfortunate incident.

Maybe a redesigned rear cable is in order?
Zenfox, here I take the opportunity for a constructive criticism, I feel like the rear camera connector location design needs to be updated as well for the newer models as I feel like the cable is in the wrong place. It is an eye sore to see the cable sticking out like that, specially when there is no L shaped connector in the cable. If you observe in the picture, Viofo's looks much cleaner and perhaps it is less prone for unwanted vibrations to the internal conector breaking the soldered joints20200610_160617.jpg in the future.

Zenfox, here I take the opportunity for a constructive criticism, I feel like the rear camera connector location design needs to be updated as well for the newer models as I feel like the cable is in the wrong place. It is an eye sore to see the cable sticking out like that, specially when there is no L shaped connector in the cable. If you observe in the picture, Viofo's looks much cleaner and perhaps it is less prone for unwanted vibrations to the internal conector breaking the soldered jointsView attachment 52202 in the future.
When the Viofo A129 DUO first came out, many users complained that the rear camera port was at the top and not the side. Different strokes for different folks.

When the Viofo A129 DUO first came out, many users complained that the rear camera port was at the top and not the side. Different strokes for different folks.
there's no one size fits all solution, that's why we have different choices in the market

Either or both can be helped with a right-angle cable, so if a redesigned one happens here maybe make one end straight and the other 90 degrees? Much more mounting flexibility choices like that :cool:

Phil

Reactions: EGS
At least the angled shape connector would make it better that a straight one for this unit. At least for my personal liking...

Sadly I don't have more cameras where I can rob a cable from it to replace and do more testing to help determine there is a power issue. I'm not willing to mess with the viofo one because I feel like I could compromise that system and end up with no reliable coverage at all in case of an unfortunate incident.

I spent 3-4 hours installing (hard wiring) and routing the T3. Hoping the problem isn't cable / hardware related. Will test a Sandisk A2 Extreme to see if the problem reoccurs with the interior / rear camera dropping out.

EGS makes a good point. The cable is far more intrusive compared to the Viofo A129 Duo's camera. However, this is minor comparative to the issues we're seeing with the T3's reliability and cameras failing to record.

EGS makes a good point. The cable is far more intrusive compared to the Viofo A129 Duo's camera. However, this is minor comparative to the issues we're seeing with the T3's reliability and cameras failing to record.
The A129 rear camera setup (port on top with straight plug) has always worked well with my setups, but I can certainly see why some would prefer the port on the side or a 90 degree angle on the plug.

I spent 3-4 hours installing (hard wiring) and routing the T3. Hoping the problem isn't cable / hardware related. Will test a Sandisk A2 Extreme to see if the problem reoccurs with the interior / rear camera dropping out.
In my case, my vehicle has curtain airbags and I had to make sure the wire was placed in the back side of the bag and being extremely careful not to damage any part of the system. The Viofo wire is running on the drivers side and the Zenfox on the passengers side. So doing that is time consuming, therefore I know what you are talking about.

The A129 rear camera setup (port on top with straight plug) has always worked well with my setups, but I can certainly see why some would prefer the port on the side or a 90 degree angle on the plug.

I like the Viofo Rear Camera setup. I can easily hide the wire with the rear camera port positioned at the top. The T3 rear Camera lacks a right angle cable and has the port on the side. Causing more wire to be exposed and lacking that clean install look.

In my case, my vehicle has curtain airbags and I had to make sure the wire was placed in the back side of the bag and being extremely careful not to damage any part of the system. The Viofo wire is running on the drivers side and the Zenfox on the passengers side. So doing that is time consuming, therefore I know what you are talking about.

I have both running on the passenger side since that is where my fuse box is located. I opted to hardwire the T3 using the HK3 (Viofo) hardwire kit. I doubt anyone else beta testing is even trying out Parking Mode. So I figured I'd give it a go.

Same here. My A and C Pillars have side curtains. Meaning I must remove both A and C Pillar Trim (Bolted in), remove the sill, remove trimming, and route wires behind the A Pillar in order to wire the camera to the fusebox. Then, I must route the rear cable under the A Pillar Side Curtain, tuck into B Pillar, route cable under C Pillar Side Curtain and install. Removing the C pillar trim is very difficult. You've got to be very careful not to break clips.

One trick I learned is to take petroleum jelly and lather the clips. It'll make them easier to remove in the future. I did that with the C Pillar Trim this time after struggling to remove it without breaking clips.

Process is easily 3-4 hours for a proper install taking into consideration routing wires and cable management.

Last edited:
Okay :sleep:

So yesterday it seemed i had the T3 up and running again, but today changing to 1 minute video segments ( and having the front unit off the windscreen to wash it on the inside and the rear camera too back there )
Well it seem i am back to recording 3 minutes and 1 seconds and then it stop, and vice versa as described before just with 3 minute segments.

When i noticed the error i figured i would try with resetting the hardware, but that did not make any change, so now on my next drive i will change back to 3 minute video segments and see if that bring me back to where the T3 just work.
But i have a sneaky feeling i will have to reset camera to default too.

No beeping from camera to alert it have stopped, and in the daytime the faint LED light and the red dot on the LCD are hard to see, at least for my tired old eyes.

Okay :sleep:

So yesterday it seemed i had the T3 up and running again, but today changing to 1 minute video segments ( and having the front unit off the windscreen to wash it on the inside and the rear camera too back there )
Well it seem i am back to recording 3 minutes and 1 seconds and then it stop, and vice versa as described before just with 3 minute segments.

When i noticed the error i figured i would try with resetting the hardware, but that did not make any change, so now on my next drive i will change back to 3 minute video segments and see if that bring me back to where the T3 just work.
But i have a sneaky feeling i will have to reset camera to default too.

No beeping from camera to alert it have stopped, and in the daytime the faint LED light and the red dot on the LCD are hard to see, at least for my tired old eyes.

Same. When the rear and interior camera failed to write to the SD card, and only the front camera was recording, there were no beeps indicating a problem. Only that the Interior Camera / Rear camera didn't appear on the screen any longer as a live view for all three cameras. Although I could toggle between each camera individually.

Lots of bugs in this camera, which I why I am guessing ZenFox wanted a large sample size of beta testers.

Today all the files when it record are there, including the tree 1 second files it seem to want to make when it stop recording like this for me.
No corrupted files or anything, it just stop recording after it have done 3-4 full sets ( 1 minute today ) and then slam on the tree 1 second files at the end.

Since i had it working so good yesterday and the only change today are unplugging and then plug in after window clean, and the change to 1 minute videos, i have a sneaky feeling change to settings leave some residue in the system that trip it up later on, so my idea now is that it will only work doing setting change if it is accompanied by a reset to default first and possibly a hardware reset too.

I find it suspicious than when the camera stop to record, it always do after X full video segments, and then always finish off with the tree 1 second recordings, if it was a random error it would also stop at random places, but for me it done seem to do that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sendoh_dash Zenfox 3
rcg530 Zenfox 12
kamkar Zenfox 7
R Zenfox 80
R Zenfox 4
Back