Zero Edge Technology Z-Edge Z3 Anyone try this cam?

castlefox

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am super n00B when it comes to dashcams. I came across this website after looking at a review thing I found on the wirecutter.

I was reading this review http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/ of the Zero Edge Technology Z-Edge Z3 but I was not able to find any info on this when I did a search in the forum.

Have anyone of you guys tried this dash cam out or even tried stuff made by this manufacturer ?

Hello,

I am super n00B when it comes to dashcams. I came across this website after looking at a review thing I found on the wirecutter.

I was reading this review http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/ of the Zero Edge Technology Z-Edge Z3 but I was not able to find any info on this when I did a search in the forum.

Have anyone of you guys tried this dash cam out or even tried stuff made by this manufacturer ?

I's a generic model which is sold under few dozens of different names and "made" by many different trading companies. It's might be OK for that price, but not sure if it deserves to be in "the best" rating. Probably those "titles" are shared between those who pays for advertising ( pay-per-click ) or get samples for free review + bonus ? You may also read comments in that article.

That website is saying the best for most people, but yeah I know what you mean. I was dubious of their review b/c of advertising ( pay-per-click ) concerns and b/c there are like a million dam cams out there so it is hard to review them all.

What are the other names that it goes by? I dont even know what to search for to find that.

I's a generic model which is sold under few dozens of different names and "made" by many different trading companies. It's might be OK for that price, but not sure if it deserves to be in "the best" rating. Probably those "titles" are shared between those who pays for advertising ( pay-per-click ) or get samples for free review + bonus ? You may also read comments in that article.

I generally respect the wirecutter's reviews, and they are up front on how they make their money with referral links. Not all of their recommendations have referral links. But, I have to say that this dash cam review is very odd for them. According to the author, this camera is designed by Zero Edge and produced in China. Could you point to other generic models similar to this camera to dispute that?

This Zero Edge Technology, LLC, company seems to go out of their way to say they are a US based company, but all I could find in a business registry is this:
The Registered Agent on file for this company is Xiaodong Zhong and is located at [REDACTED].

I've redacted the specific address, but it is just the address of a random house in Georgia and not a business front, which is just odd.

...This Zero Edge Technology, LLC, company seems to go out of their way to say they are a US based company, but all I could find in a business registry is this:...I've redacted the specific address, but it is just the address of a random house in Georgia and not a business front, which is just odd.
That in itself should tell you a lot about the company. :confused:

I'm betting you would not be able to get any product support from that address (which wasn't that hard to find) nor return defective products there.

I find going though Amazon reviews tells you a lot about a company. Searching up "support", "emails" and "warranty" yields a lot of mixed results about the responsiveness of their tech support.

I've recently spoken with Vantrue (also recommend in the article) as they wanted to send me a sample. They were evasive about answer questions about their company (reseller vs manufacturer) and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for Zero-Edge.

I think the Wirecutter may have dropped the ball on this review. I'm surprised they didn't go for the Ausdom A261 or any number of better supported A7 solutions on the market. Still a fan of their publication.

Edit - Noticed their team responds to almost all 1/2 star reviews. They use an outlook address at "zeroedgetechnology@outlook.com" with the replies from the "Zero Edge Copyright Team" strangely enough.

Last edited:
I find going though Amazon reviews tells you a lot about a company. Searching up "support", "emails" and "warranty" yields a lot of mixed results about the responsiveness of their tech support.

I've recently spoken with Vantrue (also recommend in the article) as they wanted to send me a sample. They were evasive about answer questions about their company (reseller vs manufacturer) and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for Zero-Edge.

I think the Wirecutter may have dropped the ball on this review. I'm surprised they didn't go for the Ausdom A261 or any number of better supported A7 solutions on the market. Still a fan of their publication.

Edit - Noticed their team responds to almost all 1/2 star reviews. They use an outlook address at "zeroedgetechnology@outlook.com" with the replies from the "Zero Edge Copyright Team" strangely enough.
You've tried the Ausdom A261? How long have you had it and is it still working well now? Is it USA based and you can get support in the USA?I've had a few dash cams and always find it stops working or it has a problem with the SD card. It can't format after a few months or says I need to insert the SD card when it already is in the cam.

You've tried the Ausdom A261? How long have you had it and is it still working well now? Is it USA based and you can get support in the USA?I've had a few dash cams and always find it stops working or it has a problem with the SD card. It can't format after a few months or says I need to insert the SD card when it already is in the cam.

Hey Mr78, sorry for the late reply.

The Ausdom A261 would be a good camera except for their bad warning notifications. When something goes wrong you can easily miss the message on the A261. It's a nearly invisible message that quickly disappears.

I weigh heavily how well a camera lets people know if it can't record. The #1 complaint is a failed camera.

I'm not a fan of this and I'm not going to recommend the camera

Support is from Taiwan but they are lightning fast to respond - within 12 hours. You can only get support in the USA for now if you buy from Amazon and go through their distributor after that you'll have to deal with their main company.

Speaking to a rep they plan to open a service depot in the United States later this year.

If it's the SD card that's failing you consider using a card designed for heavy writing such as Transcend's Endurance or Sandisk's High Endurance line. If you are using Sandisk's Ultra line they are notorious for failing in dash cameras.

Hope that helps.

Back