Card size

Rubiconmike

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Mobius
So I have a Mobius and a 12v-5v converter on the way last thing I'm going to need is memory.
The camera will be a set it and forget it type of camera. Is the 32gig card the best way to go
or are the smaller cards better for getting that shot you want?

The 32GB card seems to be the best balance of size and cost. Smaller cards have to be re-written more often. Even with a 16GB card, the last 2 hours (or so) of your drive will be held by the card.

I have two 16GB cards, if something interesting happens, I switch cards. Because it holds around 2 hours of video, I don't have to switch right away.

I find that my SanDisk Ultra 32gb card on high bit rate lasts about 3.5 hours, which to me is a good amount without jumping to 64gb. It's enough to capture a long day of driving.
Now with the new firmware, compatibly issues are gone.

Last edited:
For me a 32gb card is a must. A friend is quite happy with a 16gb. It depends on what you're going to do with the video, the quality you want and how many hours you want to capture before it loops or stops.
I have two uses for a dashcam. (1) To provide video evidence in the event of an incident. (2) To provide a video record of specific journeys for creating a video.
I have my cam set to 30fps 1280x720 Wide. This means I get about 10 hrs on the card and, for my purposes, the quality is very good.
I did a few tests at different settings and settled on the above.
I needed to get about 10hrs per card so that when I take a long trip that I want to have a record of I get a full day driving. Each day I transfer the card content to a hard drive, wipe the card and start afresh next day.
For normal evidential use I get days/weeks of video before it eventually loops.
So determine your needs and do some tests to decide your settings.

One issue about video times is the data rate, High, Medium, or Low. Different people will select different rates. The argument for high is it gives the best quality and given that you only care about the last thing recorded, who cares if it wipes out the older recordings sooner. The argument for low is that the video only needs to be good enough for a court of law to see what happened. Lower data rates results in less cycling of the card in terms of erasing and re-recording over old files.

The argument for low is that the video only needs to be good enough for a court of law to see what happened. Lower data rates results in less cycling of the card in terms of erasing and re-recording over old files.

In a recent near miss the highest bit rate paid off- with being able to identify the other vehicle's registration plate. When your life is in danger, the last thing you think of is reading the other vehicle's rego plate; if the other person is in the wrong there's also little likelihood of them hanging around to give you details.

Basically, you won't even make it to court if you can't identify the other vehicle. ;)

If we talk about two identical Mobius( let's say B-lens ), then 18Mbps vs 15Mbps - there is no significant difference as per numberplate readings ( maybe just a little bit ), but not that much, however 18Mbsp "eats" ( in all ways ) flash memory with big appetite ;)

There was a noticeable fine detail difference with mine when I compared the footage. Plus more pixelation in busy scenes (like driving under tree canopies).

PS: To me, it seems pointless to buy a camera for it's image quality and then hobble it with the software settings. The highest quality settings and a 64Gb card for me. :) But everyone has different priorities.

There was a noticeable fine detail difference with mine when I compared the footage. Plus more pixelation in busy scenes (like driving under tree canopies).

PS: To me, it seems pointless to buy a camera for it's image quality and then hobble it with the software settings. The highest quality settings and a 64Gb card for me. :) But everyone has different priorities.

You right in some way. I forgot to mention that different Mobius FW perform differently.
My personal favourite for night rec sensitivity is still v0.59 if we talking about "out of box" ( recording with default settings ) recording at 18Mbps or 15Mbps was not much difference.
Still have to test 1.17 to make conclusions.

You right in some way. I forgot to mention that different Mobius FW perform differently.
My personal favourite for night rec sensitivity is still v0.59 if we talking about "out of box" ( recording with default settings ) recording at 18Mbps or 15Mbps was not much difference.
Still have to test 1.17 to make conclusions.
I would wait with testing v1.17 - remember it was hastily released in order to solve the card issue. v1.17 should be considered as an interim version, especially the WDR low-light setting which was overlooked and should not have been activated.

I would wait with testing v1.17 - remember it was hastily released in order to solve the card issue. v1.17 should be considered as an interim version, especially the WDR low-light setting which was overlooked and should not have been activated.

My understanding is same as yours. Not always new FW is better than older one ( especially beta-versions ), thats why I never rush to make any quick conclusions with any of dashcam products,- "been there, - seen that" for many years ;)

As per my experience with Mobius vs memory cards: I never had issues with any microsd cards for the past 8 month using different Mobius ( A, B lens ) FW. In many cases I use unbranded no-name memory cards and worked always flawless. 64Gb Samsung microsd works also OK for past 2 month. Maybe I am just lucky ? :)

I had no problems with cards on the Mobius, but I wanted better low light performance, so the 1.17 WDR low light setting was what I wanted to try, and it is great! It's good news if it is going to get better, but it is already a big improvement on what came before, including 0,59.

Not yet, no, but I forgot to check till it was nearly sunset. If we get another gloriously sunny spell tomorrow I'll try it then, but certainly it was fine in bright but low sunshine this afternoon.

Has anyone tried a 128GB or bigger card?

128gb microsd cost many times more than Mobius. Not sure who and when will be ready to take a risk of splashing money on such expencive "try". I am happy with using a 64gb, but as you, - me also would like to know 128gb compability. Hope soon somebody with deeper pocket will try it.

Last edited:
If we get another gloriously sunny spell tomorrow I'll try it then
I tried it today, and unfortunately it bleaches out brightly-lit details in sunshine. Oddly enough, it was also bleaching out some of the reflections in the windscreen when the sun was shining on the screen.
So for daytime use you need the normal WDR and for nighttime you need the low light WDR. Guess that makes sense!
What is needed is for the camera to switch modes automatically as lighting conditions change.
I wonder how possible that is?

True, but that's today. Memory prices fall significantly over time.

How true! Remember what hard drives used to cost?

nfZAr7d.jpg

True, but that's today. Memory prices fall significantly over time.

For sure, but your Q: was today, - so my A: was also per "today" situation ;), ... or we "want" to wait few years to get an answer til 128gb will cost 10x less? - I don't think so. We are like small kids: want to get Xmas present unwrapped way b4 right time :)

Hope Mobius developers can test 128gb microsd and answer your question regarding compability. This is in first of all in their own interests. If Mobius can work with 128Gb, this will give more reputation and attention to their product.

Back