For what its worth - Eclipse In Toronto cloudy 5 Second Clips, shot on an A119v3

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Video shot of the eclipse on April 8, 2024 In Rexdale (North Western Toronto). Five second clips for every minute from 1:58 pm to 3:26 pm. Eclipse peak at 3:19. Sadly, it got more cloudy after I left and I should have adjusted the lens more upwards. Notice how the it become dark as the clip progresses 2:35 pm and there is the occasional jet flying by.

After days of bad weather including a storm that dropped a foot of wet heavy snow, rain, sleet and high winds here in Vermont over the weekend, we got lucky and had absolutely picture perfect weather to see the eclipse. Clear blue sky and a few very thin wispy clouds that had no effect on seeing the eclipse. It was awesome !!! Where I live we didn't quite get a total eclipse but we got just shy of 97% coverage with only a tiny crescent of the sun peeking through a totally black moon and it was amazing to witness!

The day before the Eclipse, went for a walk on the waterfront South East of the H mark on the map below. Not a cloud in the sky. The after about the same. A few hours after the eclipse, the clouds cleared. Unfortunately during the Eclipse

Toronto was 99 to to 99.5 % but would imagine that was closer to the lake than either my home or workplace. On the map below, my work place is the W and the my home is H. People on the beaches had posted some good images. It appeared it was less cloudy too.

1712741386242.png

The peak for the eclipse was 3:19. I set up my camera at 1:45 and came back 10 minutes later when there was break in the clouds. Still a challenge finding it on the screen. Had to scroll around until there was one cloud brighter than the others.

The A119 allows the lens to pivot enough up to catch sun at 1:45 pm. I could have scrolled it up more. I never paid that much attention to the path of the sun at work but for my home I understand. I have three office locations at work and the other two would have been better. This allows parking pretty much north /south but the others have parking in both N/S and E/w.

At one point, it looked like a terrible storm was occurring outside . It was so dark. My wife was at home and watches a bird feeder outside the patio window and said there were no birds or animals in the vicinity of the feeder for some time.

I thought the eclipse was over when I removed the camera as it wasn't as dark looking outside. After I removed the a119 (3:26 pm , peak was 3:19), I saw the sun and moon,= Not quite touching each other. At that point, a slight clearing in the clouds. As such, It appears even if it was cloudless, the eclipse would have been outside of where I arranged the camera at 1:45. Had I parked at my other office and had the camera facing more westerly as opposed to facing south ( i figure 165 degrees) ... I would have got it.

March and April are typically some of the most cloudy months here in Vermont so people were anticipating the possibility that things might not bode so well for Eclipse Day. Instead, we had virtually perfect, clear skies making Vermont one of the best, if not the best place in the US to observe the Eclipse. Originally, the best viewing was supposed to be in Texas and Louisiana but they got the cloudy weather instead. The result was that many hardcore eclipse enthusiasts already on their way to these southern states suddenly shifted their travel plans and headed straight to Vermont!

They arrived in Vermont mostly by car but also in a historic number of private aircraft landings. Yesterday, the state released its initial estimate of 160,000 people visiting Vermont to witness the eclipse. That's an amazing number considering that the entire population in Vermont is only 647,464,(2023) so suddenly we had a population increase of about 25% for a single day or two.

The authorities were initially very worried about what was going to happen with all those people and cars arriving here but aside from some traffic jams things went pretty smoothly. There were very few car accidents reported around the state for the entire day for example and the number was less than during the major mess of a snow storm we got last week. Of course, everyone here was thrilled that all those visitors spent many millions of dollars while they were here on hotel and motel rooms, restaurants, shopping, special events, even skiing and all sorts of other things, so it was a good day for everyone all around!

Back