g1wc and mis-adventures with a micro-sd card

Loughlan

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
G1WC
Rant/Open to suggestions as to how to proceed.

Got my G1WC from foxoffer after a long wait and got Officeworks here in Australia to price match a SanDisk Ultra 64GB (class10) card.
I realise that 64GB and this device is a risk as most documentation states the max supported is 32GB, but I've heard of people being successful at it and it worth a try. If it didn't work, it should fail straight away, and I might be able to get it working after a reformat.
The dash-cam picked up the card straight away, no formatting required.
Damn the footage out of this is awesome! really clear. Clearer than that of ~$200 units I've seen.

After about a week of driving, the dash-cam reported 'please insert sd card'. no amount of re-insertions/power cycles would clear the error.
I tried the unit with another known-good 1GB micro-SD and it started up well.
Tried the memory card in the included microSD to SD adapter and it was like I had plugged in the adapter without the card.
Same result when trying with a microSD to USB adapter (SanDisk brand)
Took it back to Officeworks who swapped it over this morning (lamenting the loss of all of that footage)
That said, dash-cam worked well on the way to work, but when I went to drive home, it did the same thing.
GAHH!!!

Am tempted to go to Costco and see what brands they have. Probably wont be able to do the price-match though but want to avoid burning my chances of any further price matching with Officeworks.

The temperature in the car wouldn't have gotten very high, although it was 3 degrees Celsius yesterday morning when I arrived at work.

The only other brand they seem to stock at Officeworks is Toshiba, but I haven't heard much about their reliability.

So now it's open to you guys... What do you think?
Dodgy batch of sandisk cards?
Crappy camera frying cards?
Someone who hates dashcams using an electromagnet on my car to fry the card (twice)
Aliens?
Solar flare activity?

Your opinions/suggestions/input welcome!

I've got a 32GB SANDISK UHS1 working fine on my G1W.
I'm probably lucky so ! :)

Mine comes from estore009 on eBay.
I think that it also depends on the SD Card itself. On the same brand, one may works and the other not...
No way to know before testing in the dashcam.

So true on all parts. The g1wc makes it a little more different (capacitor and not as common as the normal g1w)
I might give a 32gb a go. From what I've seen of the files, it's about 100mb per minute if I record in FHD.
I was just aiming to have as much storage as possible.
I initially thought it may have been an issue overwriting files as it was roughly when I would have filled the card.
Will keep you all posted.

Thanks for your awesome and speedy responses! I really appreciate each of them!

After a few days of recording it seems that the class 10 toshiba 32gb microsd is working well.
Haven't thoroughly checked the footage but from initial checks it seems good.
Still unsure as to whether it was a size or brand issue.

I've got a 32GB SANDISK UHS1 working fine on my G1W.
I'm probably lucky so ! :)
Mine comes from estore009 on eBay.
Mine came from estore009 as well and has issues with SanDisk cards so we probably have different board versions.
Still unsure as to whether it was a size or brand issue.
I think it is more of a Brand issue. Along with having issues in my G1W I have had memory card issues with SanDisk in other DashCams as well.

I just got my dashcam and put a 64gb samsung sd card in there class 10 and everytime I push the card in the camera turns off. What a disappointment, any ideas?

Try to format as FAT32 before inserting into the camera

I was able to get my G1W to work with SXDC 64 GB card (Kingston class 10)....most of the time, but once in a while, the G1W will freeze during recording, and will not power down even when power is cut off. What I would do is to reset the unit. The last file it was writing when it hanged will be corrupted though. The G1W is able to fill up the full card, and was formatted using the G1W in exFAT.
I have had SD card errors before, but a power cycle usually solves it, though it is quite rare. Have you tried resetting the unit? Or format the card and try again?

To be honest, I didn't get to try a 64gb any longer than as mentioned above.
It seems solid enough using a 32gb and apart from only having a few days worth of footage, it seems to be sufficient.
With the g1ws-c, removing power from the device prompts a shutdown (or force power off within about 10 seconds so it's of little issue.

That said, out of the box the device wasn't functional until I did a force reset.
I was a little annoyed and was tempted to report it as DOA but persisted seeing as postage costs to return it to foxoffer would be roughly half of the price of the device.
That's the gamble I took, and so far the unit has been amazing.

Also, pay attention to the elect connections. My GS9000 is powered through the mount which does not lock well to the camera. when placed, stays ok, but drives me nuts during setup.

Software fo 64 gb cards is different than 32 gb. Some have sucess with formatting but if the camera is designed for 32 gb, that's the best you get no matter what you use.

I just got my dashcam and put a 64gb samsung sd card in there class 10 and everytime I push the card in the camera turns off. What a disappointment, any ideas?

Turn the cam off before inserting or removing the card.

Rant/Open to suggestions as to how to proceed.

After about a week of driving, the dash-cam reported 'please insert sd card'. no amount of re-insertions/power cycles would clear the error.
I tried the unit with another known-good 1GB micro-SD and it started up well.
Tried the memory card in the included microSD to SD adapter and it was like I had plugged in the adapter without the card.
Same result when trying with a microSD to USB adapter (SanDisk brand)
Took it back to Officeworks who swapped it over this morning (lamenting the loss of all of that footage)
That said, dash-cam worked well on the way to work, but when I went to drive home, it did the same thing.
GAHH!!!

Your opinions/suggestions/input welcome!

I have had the exact same problem. 64GB Sandisk Ultra U1. my G1W-CB toasted it and now I basically can't format it or anything. Dead :D
Ordering a 32GB AData Premium from eBay and hoping that will work well.

How was your 32GB doing so far? any failures from since you've changed to 32!?

I have had the exact same problem. 64GB Sandisk Ultra U1. my G1W-CB toasted it and now I basically can't format it or anything. Dead :D
Ordering a 32GB AData Premium from eBay and hoping that will work well.

How was your 32GB doing so far? any failures from since you've changed to 32!?

I've just been using a 64GB Adata UHS-I in my G1W-CB for over a month now. No corrupt files and no memory card issues. There are updated firmware that supposedly address the memory card issue it would appear. I"ve left it in the car when it was colder than -20c outside for over 12 hours and no issues with recording right away after the car has started.

I've just been using a 64GB Adata UHS-I in my G1W-CB for over a month now. No corrupt files and no memory card issues. There are updated firmware that supposedly address the memory card issue it would appear. I"ve left it in the car when it was colder than -20c outside for over 12 hours and no issues with recording right away after the car has started.

Ah, good to know. I went for 32GB of the same type. Haven't received it though but it's reassuring that it's working for you. We are on the other side of the spectrum here with 35+ degC and direct sun light on the cam. :D

Ah, good to know. I went for 32GB of the same type. Haven't received it though but it's reassuring that it's working for you. We are on the other side of the spectrum here with 35+ degC and direct sun light on the cam. :D

We'll get that in our summer. Looking forward to it!
Double checked various random files today, no problems with any of them.

Back