Mobius mount

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
Mobius arrived Thursday afternoon, spent some time sorting out the settings, format card, replace batt with cap etc.
I used a length of meccano and a plastic number plate screw to fix the tripod mount...
718.jpg

Trimmed the plastic screw to about 1/4" long so it pulled the mount quite tight.
725.jpg

This was taken before I trimmed the screw. The white screw head now sits tight on the meccano.
728.jpg

The blob of blu-tac is to prevent the cam vibrating unduly (it was all I had to hand) I was wondering about a more secure option but this works quite well.
The strip of meccano is firmly fixed under the mounting plate of the sun visor.
731.jpg

Close up from the outside. The cam is barely visible.

Since I was trying out the cam, I still had my G1W in position, so am just uploading some comparison vids, one from this morning, driving in thick fog & one from this, sunny, afternoon.

Simple, effective and inexpensive. Has the blu-tack cured the vibration completely?

Simple, effective and inexpensive. Has the blu-tack cured the vibration completely?

First 10s or so shows the video 'wobble'. At about 14s, I move the cam down slightly in order to put the blu-tac in place.
At the end of the clip I have done a close-up of the car to my nearside. Given that my bus is 8'4" wide & the gap between this car and myself would be at least 2', I reckon the Mobius did well to capture that plate - although the idea behind putting the cam as far to the offside as possible is really to hopefully get a better view of oncoming traffic - if drivers are on their mobiles/best view of license plates.

Looking at that last pic, I'm wondering if I could get away with using a longer strip of metal, adjusting it to go even closer to the side of the windscreen since the sweep of the wiper looks to be getting right to the edge?
If it's too long, at least the holes give me more mounting options.

Wow, sounds like a mobile disco :D
I'm not sure that moving it an inch or two either way will make a significant difference to the view, it looks very good just the way it is.
I noticed that your YouTube clip only goes to 720p, is that your preference for your Mobius or did you just upload at that res?

I like this simple straightforward approach to mounting the Mobius sludgeguts but the vibration does seem to be a problem. What about a small piece of Dual-Lock tape, or even plain Velcro instead of the Blue-Tak?

Wow, sounds like a mobile disco :D
I'm not sure that moving it an inch or two either way will make a significant difference to the view, it looks very good just the way it is.
I noticed that your YouTube clip only goes to 720p, is that your preference for your Mobius or did you just upload at that res?
I was on my own at that point & liked what was playing so cranked up the volume a touch (not easy to hear with all the clanking & creaking of the bus as you're driving along, comes over loud when you stop).
I'm not sure about the extra inch or two either, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go just to try.
I'm also torn between moving the cam back from the screen (so the lens has some shade when driving towards the sun) OR moving it closer to get rid of the ghost hands etc.
I hadn't realised it was only 720p, I thought I'd set to maximum. :oops: (I've checked the raw files & they are 720p) Cheers for that.

Last edited:
I like this simple straightforward approach to mounting the Mobius sludgeguts but the vibration does seem to be a problem. What about a small piece of Dual-Lock tape, or even plain Velcro instead of the Blue-Tak?
As I said, that was all I had with me at the time. I could even look out a heavy-threaded screw to secure the metal strip to that headlining but at the moment, the blu-tac seems to work.

As I said, that was all I had with me at the time. I could even look out a heavy-threaded screw to secure the metal strip to that headlining but at the moment, the blu-tac seems to work.

I was thinking of a longer term solution or if you used the longer strip of metal you mentioned. I guess my suggestion of Velcro or Dual-Lock was with the idea of not having to drill holes in the headliner or anything that would permanently deface anything.
Either way, like I said, I like the nice simple approach you've come up with. BTW, Blu-tak is great stuff. At one time I used a big wad of it to securely mount a heavy camera on my dashboard. It never moved under any road conditions.

I was thinking of a longer term solution or if you used the longer strip of metal you mentioned. I guess my suggestion of Velcro or Dual-Lock was with the idea of not having to drill holes in the headliner or anything that would permanently deface anything.
Either way, like I said, I like the nice simple approach you've come up with. BTW, Blu-tak is great stuff. At one time I used a big wad of it to securely mount a heavy camera on my dashboard. It never moved under any road conditions.
I have some Velcro somewhere, might see if the hook part will stick to the headlining - which would be a simple fix - I guess the BT might leave some residue on the headlining (I know it leaves oily stains on painted walls

I have some Velcro somewhere, might see if the hook part will stick to the headlining - which would be a simple fix - I guess the BT might leave some residue on the headlining (I know it leaves oily stains on painted walls

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the photo of your fabric headliner. At least to start, it might be better than screws.

You know, one of the things about Velcro is that it often sticks to all kinds of stuff other than itself and this can be a pain but with your headliner it might be JUST the thing. So one feature of Dual Lock that I like is that it sticks ONLY to itself.

I hadn't realised it was only 720p, I thought I'd set to maximum. :oops: (I've checked the raw files & they are 720p)
That's where a screen, even a tiny one, comes in handy; it usually shows current resolution among other useful bits of data ;)

Back