Silicone Mobius weather cover

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
JooVoo's new waterproof Mobius case seems like the ultimate heavy duty protection anyone might want for complete protection of the camera in wet conditions as an action camera.

I noticed that Mobius ActionCam, the official US reseller is offering an alternative silicone "weather cover" that looks very interesting. It is not waterproof or submersible (has an open bottom) but offers splash and rain protection and includes replaceable lenses. It seems a little pricey ($19.95 USD) but may be worth it for certain applications. My only real concern is whether the seal around the lens is sound enough against water penetration.

Has anyone bought one of these yet who can share their experience?

Weather Cover w/Replaceable Windows

siliconcase.jpg
silicon2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim
Nice find. The only worry I would have for this one is that it would overheat. Looks like it for the A lens only.
Good point! I hadn't even thought about that. Someone will need to make the plunge and try one. Like I said, I think it is overpriced. If it wasn't so dear I would be willing to buy one just to experiment with.

Edit: You are right, it looks like it is for the A lens. Hadn't thought about that either. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim
After thinking about this product a little further it may be very useful even if water protection is not one's ultimate use for it. There are times when a Mobius camera might be used on a bicycle or motorbike (or RC craft, etc.) when the primary concern might not be water protection but dust and debris protection for the lens. I live in a rural area on a dirt road half way up a small mountain and as a result the windshields on cars around here always end up with numerous tiny pockmarks from particles hitting the windscreen. They use a lot of sand on the roads here during the winter months too, so this problem affects most people, even those who don't live a mile and a half up a dirt road. Imagine what these dirt and sand particles can do to a camera lens. So having a little protective case like this with replaceable lenses could be just the thing if you want to mount your Mobius on your handlebars. If heat does indeed turn out to be an issue, one could just cut away the silicone over the heat sink.

Last edited:
JooVoo's new waterproof Mobius case seems like the ultimate heavy duty protection anyone might want for complete protection of the camera in wet conditions as an action camera.

I noticed that Mobius ActionCam, the official US reseller is offering an alternative silicone "weather cover" that looks very interesting. It is not waterproof or submersible (has an open bottom) but offers splash and rain protection and includes replaceable lenses. It seems a little pricey ($19.95 USD) but may be worth it for certain applications. My only real concern is whether the seal around the lens is sound enough against water penetration.

Has anyone bought one of these yet who can share their experience?

Weather Cover w/Replaceable Windows

View attachment 3456
View attachment 3457
The price kept me away when I saw it last month, not to mention the heat issue. I asked myself how much weather could it really handle and would it be better to have a full waterproof case? I supposed for skiing, this would work, though I'm guessing with a small glass circle for the lens, you could imitate this with a good plastic food wrap.

After thinking about this product a little further it may be very useful even if water protection is not one's ultimate use for it. There are times when a Mobius camera might be used on a bicycle or motorbike when the primary concern might not be water protection but dust and debris protection for the lens. I live in a rural area on a dirt road half way up a small mountain and as a result the windshields on cars around here always end up with numerous tiny pockmarks from particles hitting the windscreen. They use a lot of sand on the roads here during the winter months too, so this problem affects most people, even those who don't live a mile and a half up a dirt road. Imagine what these dirt and sand particles can do to camera lens. So having a little protective case like this with replaceable lenses could be just the thing if you want to mount your Mobius on your handlebars. If heat does turn out to be an issue, one could just cut away the silicone over the heat sink.
Good point, any bug or debris would damage the lens at speed.

I've thought of yet another possible use for this Mobius silicone weather cover case. There are many kinds of photography filters available in sheet form. Perhaps the type most relevant to dash cams and action cams would be polarizers.
So, with this case's ability to accept replacement "windows" it be very easy to use sheet style polarizing material cut to the right size instead of or in addition to the clear lenses it is designed for. The case could be used as a kind of ad hoc filter holder for the Mobius. This link shows some examples of the kind of polarizing material I am talking about.

If you want it for holding a filter then it would be easier to just buy some spare lens caps and use them. (I've got some but haven't got around to experimenting.)

If you want it for holding a filter then it would be easier to just buy some spare lens caps and use them. (I've got some but haven't got around to experimenting.)

Of course, but this is just another way to use filters while protecting the lens in adverse conditions or in normal use. It was just a thought, not really a recommendation. I guess, though, with a lens cap you would need to cut an accurate hole in it but here the silicone case is already designed to accept lenses, which is why I suggested it. Is your suggestion really easier?

Last edited:
Of course, but this is just another way to use filters while protecting the lens in adverse conditions or in normal use. It was just a thought, not really a recommendation. I guess, though, with a lens cap you would need to cut an accurate hole in it but here the silicone case is already designed to accept lenses, which is why I suggested it. Is your suggestion really easier?

It's certainly a hell of a lot cheaper if that's all you want to do! :D

PS: Covering the heat sinks (in what appears to be tight fitting silicone) is very "questionable".

It's certainly a hell of a lot cheaper if that's all you want to do! :D

PS: Covering the heat sinks (in what appears to be tight fitting silicone) is very "questionable".

Well, I guess we already covered the issues you mention in your post such as heat (and even the possibility cutting away the material over the heat sink). I don't know if the lens cap method is any better or not but you are right, it is a hell of a lot cheaper. Certainly, the weather cover would be a lot easier because it is already designed for removable filters. I think cutting up a rubber lens cap might not be as likely to provide for as much of a clean and tight polarizer install. Since you say you haven't tried it you don't yet know how it would go either :) but I believe some other folks on this board have tried it with success.

Anyway, while I think this "weather cover" has a lot of interesting potential it is so overpriced that it isn't worthy of purchase for any reason, much less to experiment with. I do think it is interesting product though, which is why I posted about it but even at half the selling price I think it would be too expensive when compared to other products on the market. For example, you can buy a silicone case for a GoPro like this one on eBay for as little as 5 USD.

goprosilicone.jpg

I'd imagine the market for GoPro owners would be significantly larger, the cases as you'd expect cost around 50c, the tooling costs they'd need to recover though is what determines how much they could sell them for

Cheaper to get a small balloon and use a piece of glass or polarizing filter in the opening. You could buy a lot of balloons for $20

I'd imagine the market for GoPro owners would be significantly larger, the cases as you'd expect cost around 50c, the tooling costs they'd need to recover though is what determines how much they could sell them for

You make a good point. Still, JooVoo has managed to come out with their completely waterproof, much more sophisticated case at what I believe is a very reasonable price by comparison.

I agree. Still, the other case may have its value if the price ever does comes down.
Write the seller and see if you can get a deal, never hurts. It would be beneficial to him in exchange for a good review here and on the RC forums since so little is known about it.

Write the seller and see if you can get a deal, never hurts. It would be beneficial to him in exchange for a good review here and on the RC forums since so little is known about it.

Interesting idea. I will consider it. Of course, I would never offer a "good review" for a discounted product. We see enough of that on the internet. I would tell it like I see it and this would be the chance the seller must take. One issue is that we are in the midst of a pretty harsh New England winter, so "playing" with devices outside can be a challenge. It certainly isn't the season for bicycles or motorcycles, so this may have to wait unless I want to check it out under the shower or sink sprayer which may not be a real world "fair" test.

Interesting idea. I will consider it. Of course, I would never offer a "good review" for a discounted product. We see enough of that on the internet. I would tell it like I see it and this would be the chance the seller must take. One issue is that we are in the midst of a pretty harsh New England winter, so "playing" with devices outside can be a challenge. It certainly isn't the season for bicycles or motorcycles, so this may have to wait unless I want to check it out under the shower or sink sprayer which may not be a real world "fair
Hahaha of course. I expect it will do well if you keep your expectations in line, as with most things. I say you since you have a few ideas on uses and the ability to test them.

I think we can be pretty certain without any testing that this thing would protect the lens from dust and particles on a motorbike. The questions would be how water resistant the seal around the "window" really is and how much is the heat sink effected by the silicone cover?

Hi,
Our waterproof case is still available http://joovuu.com/gb/home/103-mobius-waterproof-case.html. If you are outside of the EU is £15.54 which at today's exchange rate is about 23USD. This is because VAT is not applicable to non-EU countries.

We also don't 'buy' favorable reviews. As nice as it is to get them I much prefer to get reviews that I know I have not influenced. I get frustrated by places like IGN and CNET that have given favorable reviews because they are sponsored by that company. I have no interest in operating like that. I'd much prefer people to criticize so if they are improvements we can make, we can make them on the next batch, rather than people just saying it's great and actually it being a mediocre product. This is why we have a thread here and on RCGroups where people can discuss and suggest improvements which as you can see we have listened to.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Last edited:
Back