So after a year of being a waste of money... my dashcam paid for itself bigtime...

vibeone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around a year ago I spent a lot of money getting an ITB-100HD imported from South Korea.

It was a stupid over the top impulse buy. But I loved it.

Despite my love, it did nothing but sit there, collecting bits of bad driving but nothing major.

Then just after Christmas, a HGV decided to overtake into the side of me, spin me round, then push me along sideways down a UK motorway.

I forgot about the camera, but as any 30 year old would do - I phoned my mum. She helpfully said 'it's a shame you've only got a forward facing camera' - at which point I remembered the camera.

Me and my insurers have seen the footage. For the record, Aviva in the UK REALLY like dashcam footage!

Here is the sample that dash cam has to be Set-and-Forget, small size, but reliable to work year ( years ) without issues.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Exactly! I agree completely.

I will obviously share video soon, but just want to progress the insurance a bit first before making it public.

@ vibeone just like health insurance the carcam sitting there is never a waste of time, its peace of mind and there when you need it. The fact that you had forgotten about it shows it is sitting there discreetly doing its job, unobtrusive but alert. :) wish I could say the same about myself :confused:

I had year ago ITB-100 and it still my favourite dash-cam body design ( triangle shape ). If only they could update it with A7 latest cpu and other modern specs + maybe even adding a small 1" lcd for operational purpose, then I think it would be nearly perfect dashcam ( for me ). But its a pitty that dashcam trends in Korea moving towards having huge screens ( the bigger - the cooler in Korea ). This we can see from latest Itronics 2ch dashcam desidn.

I had year ago ITB-100 and it still my favourite dash-cam body design ( triangle shape ). If only they could update it with A7 latest cpu and other modern specs + maybe even adding a small 1" lcd for operational purpose, then I think it would be nearly perfect dashcam ( for me ). But its a pitty that dashcam trends in Korea moving towards having huge screens ( the bigger - the cooler in Korea ). This we can see from latest Itronics 2ch dashcam desidn.

Yes it is sad - I would have liked a screen when I was looking for a cam, but once I saw the size, I was very happy with my choice. The GPS is also useful for my own purposes, though I don't display this or speed info on screen.

The latest hack to make 12mbits work also looks to have fixed the beep-beep-beep issues on the first hack. I will maybe try this when I get my car back.

This site has potentially saved me a LOT of money!

Don't just tell the story, show us the video!

@ vibeone just like health insurance the carcam sitting there is never a waste of time, its peace of mind and there when you need it.

Definitely agree with that statement. It is peace of mind, and that is why I bought one. I didn't buy a real expensive one (only a GT550W), but now thinking about investing in a better quality camera.

My first cam cost a shade over £200.
Quality was almost HD (I know it had a 480 in the number :-D )
But quite a while later, I reckon the £200 cam saved my insurance over £2k in my car repairs.
What I have since discovered, though, is that my premiums were still affected because I made a claim - a non-fault claim is still a claim (apparently).
In other words, your insurance company still screws you over because you had the cheek to make them get off their fat backsides and actually do some work on your behalf.
Also worth noting that you have to declare the dashcam to your insurers much like you would declare any other modification.

My first cam cost a shade over £200.
Quality was almost HD (I know it had a 480 in the number :-D )
But quite a while later, I reckon the £200 cam saved my insurance over £2k in my car repairs.
What I have since discovered, though, is that my premiums were still affected because I made a claim - a non-fault claim is still a claim (apparently).
In other words, your insurance company still screws you over because you had the cheek to make them get off their fat backsides and actually do some work on your behalf.
Also worth noting that you have to declare the dashcam to your insurers much like you would declare any other modification.

It's interesting you say that it affected your premiums coz my insurers were adamant that it wouldn't affect mine come renewal

When I phoned them up to ask why my premiums had gone up, they gave me the usual pony about all those uninsured drivers affecting everyone else's premiums & I said that since I had maximum no claims I expected my premiums to go down. They said "you had a claim last year".
A non-fault claim is still a claim - apparently!
Now, since we have 6 cars in the household, I know for a fact that insurance companies aren't loading premiums by that much because of all these uninsured drivers.
Even going elsewhere for insurance isn't an option since all these companies now share info.

When I phoned them up to ask why my premiums had gone up, they gave me the usual pony about all those uninsured drivers affecting everyone else's premiums & I said that since I had maximum no claims I expected my premiums to go down. They said "you had a claim last year".
A non-fault claim is still a claim - apparently!
Now, since we have 6 cars in the household, I know for a fact that insurance companies aren't loading premiums by that much because of all these uninsured drivers.
Even going elsewhere for insurance isn't an option since all these companies now share info.

Hmmmmm.... Good job I renewed about a month before someone crashed into me then!

It may depend on the insurance company as well coz I'm with a broker who only insures certain people in certain professions so maybe mine won't go up next year

It's about time we got a discount for having a functioning dashcam on board!

No promises how long I'll leave it up, but here's a peak at the video, with some jolly music.

yeah a rear cam would be great there.

Update: 10 months later, 3rd party has accepted fault.
Dashcam Win :)
don't know how it could play out any other way?? its in ya face evidence.
did the truck driver try to say you changed lanes onto him or something??

I don't know all the details yet, but I believe he told his insurers that a gust of wind blew my car into his HGV....!!

Glad you're safe. Luckily you had a dash cam which helped showed exactly what happened.

I've had customers come back to me to let me know their dash cam saved them in accident claims, especially parking lot ones, which are almost always a 50/50 claim without a dash cam video. It's a small investment to make to buy a dash cam, but it'll save you lots of money if an accident does happen.

Kelvin

One incident more than pays for itself.

I've had plenty of customers buy a new dashcam AFTER they were already involved in an accident. (they regretted not having one)

Back