Tobi@s

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
none
Hello dashcamtalk users,
I'm Tobias from Germany - and this is my first thread/post here (just wanted to say hello lol)

I got that Mini0801 around 2 weeks ago from e-prance. But I'm issuing a serious problem. I tried to find posts regarding my problem - but just found users complaing about IO errors etc on full SD card / loop recording.

My problem seems to be a different one: I'm using the auto on/off function. But almost everytime I stop my car and turn of the engine the video recording fails. It just shows a static picture and the red blinking recording image. And the cam never turns off - it just crashes after a few seconds.

My english describing skills are bad, huh? I just made a video:
(I'm moving my hand through the video that you can see that the camera is capturing motion and afterwards doesn't capture anything new)
just let it buffer for a while: http://straubinger-web.de/Video/mini0801/

I already tried these cards without any change:
Transcend 8GB class6
Transcend 8GB class4
Samsung 32GB class10
Samsung 16GB class10

And the one I used in the video:
Samsung 32GB class6

I tried these fws:

mini0801: 20130903
procam cx4 TS fw

and the one used in the video: mini0801 20130924

I'm using the no internal storage GPS version of the camera.

Anyone issuing the same problems?

Have a nice day!

Well I can keep the camera on without any problems if it isn't plugged in
So I think it's ok, yeah

is your USB power connected via the bracket or the camera?

are you using the included cig power adapter?

if you are running from battery and make a recording does it fail when you press ok to end the recording?

It's connected via the bracket using the shipped cig-power adapter.

I'll try if it recording still fails using the OK button to stop.

Seems that the problem doesn't occur if I dont' connect it through the bracket or/and the cig power charger. I tried it using the direct port and another charger (I'm not in the car atm) and I didn't get any crash so far. Using OK to start/stop seems to work, too.

Seems that the problem doesn't occur if I dont' connect it through the bracket or/and the cig power charger. I tried it using the direct port and another charger (I'm not in the car atm) and I didn't get any crash so far. Using OK to start/stop seems to work, too.

Your testing supports my own findings that the power to the camera is not always being maintained properly, I've had a couple of issues where the camera powered up and then stopped recording on its own, but changing the cable or simply squeezing in one side of the mini USB plug to make a firmer fit, always seemed to fix it. On one occasion it was the contacts not making a good connection when the camera was pushed onto the base mount. A quick clean of the contacts with a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl solved it. There's no reason why you can't connect directly to the camera as from feedback from users they say the GPS will still be powered. In theory that would eliminate one set of contacts that might give trouble if a good contact is not made with the base.

As I've stated many times in these threads, don't underestimate the importance of a good usb and base connection as it can give weird symptoms on these cameras when it's not getting a good stable power source, usually caused by a poor mini USB connection, or connection with the base itself, or even the cable itself. It may not work for everyone, but always worth a try.

Does GPS still work if I connect the charger with the inbuilt USB port?

Does GPS still work if I connect the charger with the inbuilt USB port?

TBH I personally have not proven this, but a couple of forum members have stated that power still gets through to the GPS in the base. I connect via the base on the 2 in my car, and the rear cam has the gps turned off anyway, as I dont need the gps logging on both, but I will check this out tomorrow. I suspect it will still work but nothing like proving for oneself...lol

Last edited:
TBH I personally have not proven this, but a couple of forum members have stated that power still gets through to the GPS in the base. I connect via the base on the 2 in my car, and the rear cam has the gps turned off anyway, as I dont need the gps logging on both, but I will check this out tomorrow. I suspect it will still work but nothing like proving for oneself...lol

I've just checked this for myself on one of my cameras and can confirm the GPS still gets power even when plugged directly into the cameras own USB socket.

The GPS icon only appears on the screen if it detects the GPS, and the only time it doesn't show is when the camera is detached from the base. So in theory there's no logical reason why you cannot plug the power directly into the camera.
HTH

Thanks mate! Gonna try this tommorow. Have to relocate the bracket though..

Reassembled the mini0801 to try the other USB port.. Unfortunately it still crashs..

Now I'm trying to do this:
1. I flash Procam CX4 firmware
2. Disassemble the cam again
3. insert a card into internal storage slot
4. try to record to internal storage card

I'm using another Transcend 8GB class 6 atm with fw 20131026 and there are no problems so far (for 5 days)..
Settings: FullHD, 60Hz, Loop Recording, Video + Audio

Back