AVI to Mp4 or WMV

kiwi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DVR-207
Can anyone recommend a free software that converts AVI to WMV quite quick, the one I use takes ages :/

Conversion speed will have more to do with your PC than the software if you're looking for decent results

What are you looking to change format for? Quality will likely take a hit if you re-encode

jokiin said:
Conversion speed will have more to do with your PC than the software if you're looking for decent results

What are you looking to change format for? Quality will likely take a hit if you re-encode
I find most video software editing challenging or time consuming to say the least, I've recently gotten the DVR207 and the AVI files, H.264 Recording Codecs aren't recognised by Windows Movie Maker.

Hi kiwi,

Rather than re-encoding, why not try to get a codec for Windows Movie Maker. The K-Lite Codec pack should solve the problem. Otherwise you could use an AVI editor such as Virtualdub or Avidemux.

kiwi said:
jokiin said:

I find most video software editing challenging or time consuming to say the least, I've recently gotten the DVR207 and the AVI files, H.264 Recording Codecs aren't recognised by Windows Movie Maker.

the free software GoPro provide has a very simple convert function, might be worth a look if that's what you really want

DashCamMan said:
Hi kiwi,

Rather than re-encoding, why not try to get a codec for Windows Movie Maker. The K-Lite Codec pack should solve the problem. Otherwise you could use an AVI editor such as Virtualdub or Avidemux.
Yeh gave K-Lite a try yesterday with no luck. Ill have a look into the editors you mentioned :)

Ive given aimer-video-ultimate a go, seems good so far, allows you to edit down the clips, so saves ALLOT of time then exports from AVI to whatever format you want, doesn't appear to off lost any quality either.

Just tried the K-Lite Codec Pack http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm (Contains everything you need to play all popular audio and video file formats. Supports playback of AVI, MKV, MP4, FLV, MPEG, MOV, TS, M2TS, RMVB, OGM, WMV, 3GP, WEBM, FLAC, Wavpack, and many more formats!), didnt work :(((( just uploading some test footage from the AVI converter to see if it affects the quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just uploaded some test footage and it turned out like **** :(

For Linux there is Openshot:

http://www.openshot.org/

which will take advantage of multi-core cpu's. I found it a little un-intuitive at the start, but it seems to be work well. There may be a version for Windows and Mac by the end of the year.

I've recently used FormatFactory a lot for format conversions.
Although, so far I haven't encountered an h.264 video that the Live Movie Maker can't handle in my Windows 7. Don't have any codec packs installed either.

If you just need MP4 try just to convert (not encode!) the AVI container to MP4.
You can try to use YAMB. It is using MP4Box.

Always try to not reencode the video.

For all the things I do with my recordings I am using MKV format even for a simple cut or join before uploading to Youtube.

enjoy,
Mtz

WinAVI is always super fast at converting almost anything. (will do batches too) EDIT (sorry it's not "free" by default at least)

I use CyberLink PowerDirector for comlex Video editing

I personally like IrfanView (great for photo editing too) but if you already have RealPlayer on your Windows machine, run an update and use the free tool it has.

I just downloaded Freemake Video Converter.

Just be careful with the other crapware that wants to get installed on there.

Back